Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

Hi,
I signed up for International Volunteer for World Youth Day 2013 in Rio de Janeiro. I didn't hear from them until now with a first acceptance. However, now it's time to make the definite choice... And I don't know any recent experiences, or people who are also going to volunteer. Issues like travelling alone that far, are there other people going, personal safety in Rio itself, previous experiences of the atmosphere, etcetera.
Any answer is welcome - it's likely better than what I have until now... :)

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Frank-901618 said: Hi,I signed up for International Volunteer for World Youth Day 2013 in Rio de Janeiro. I didn...
(Quote) Frank-901618 said:

Hi,
I signed up for International Volunteer for World Youth Day 2013 in Rio de Janeiro. I didn't hear from them until now with a first acceptance. However, now it's time to make the definite choice... And I don't know any recent experiences, or people who are also going to volunteer. Issues like travelling alone that far, are there other people going, personal safety in Rio itself, previous experiences of the atmosphere, etcetera.
Any answer is welcome - it's likely better than what I have until now... :)

--hide--

Hi Frank

I volunteered for World Youth Day when in was in Cologne and it was a wonderful experience! My situation was a little bit different than yours as I volunteered with a group of friends from college, so we had each other there. I don't know that Rio will structure their's the same way, but when I went we were placed in volunteer groups and all of us there in our case, spoke English. We all stayed together at a school and had simpl meals provided. Half our day was spent in a volunteer project - we got a chance to put up the Hand Sanitizers around the Port-a-Pottys in Marenfeld, were the Papal Mass was held, lol. But the other half of the day we were free to enjoy the festivities of the event. I got a chance to meet some wonderful other young adults from Germany and Slovakia that I might not have otherwise. If you've never been to WYD I really recommend it, it is an encridble experience!!

Jan 18th 2013 new

Thank you Jessica!

I am nearing a decision here, and I'm thinking of going; it seems to be a rather interesting list of people, from a lot of different countries.
Still have to check out the practical sides, but I think I've got some people in my country willing to help there - especially so I won't be alone in Rio but have some backup of fellow Dutchmen...
Still not familiar with how they will select the 'role' I'll get when I'm there, but that's something I guess better left to Providence ;)

Posts 1 - 3 of 3