Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: This topic came up on 'He who shall not be named's' FB wall this evening and this was ...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

This topic came up on 'He who shall not be named's' FB wall this evening and this was my response:

When I was in the car a little while ago the radio host and a psychologist were discussing this very situation.. The Dr said that because of online social media this type of thing is happening with increasing frequency..We have started to become a society that is incredibly drawn into the pats on the back that we get from people we don't even know.. He said "How many times have you seen somebody get very hurt feelings because somebody did respond to their FB comment..Good grief how many times have we seen that happen in the Forums? He said the younger the people inolved are the more likely they are to really think they are actually involved in a relationship with someone they never met..We need to remember that for all his physical build this is still a kid psychologically..

--hide--

I would tend to believe that too - I teach high schoolers, and have witnessed how much they invest in online relationships - even with the kids that they see at school every day.

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I would tend to believe that too - I teach high schoolers, and have witnessed how ...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

I would tend to believe that too - I teach high schoolers, and have witnessed how much they invest in online relationships - even with the kids that they see at school every day.

--hide--

A few weeks ago when there was all the conversation about head injuries in football, these same two men were having a conversation about the studies that have been done. They have determined that males don't reach their full brain psychological maturity until about age 26.. That's why young men take those hard hits in sports and why you want your soldiers young, because they are fearless when it comes to danger. This Dr was saying if you put a 20 year old in combat, he's going to forge ahead fearlessly..If you put a 40 year old man in combat he's going to hold back and use his wits. Since this is Indy he was using the examples of Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning.. Andrew Luck is that young player giving his all physically and essentially putting himself in harms way.. Where Peyton grew into a cerebral player using his wits to stay out of harms way.. The same can be said for the very young throwing themselves into these online relationships with the belief that they are 'real'. How about young kids that think they are talking to a peer online and go to meet their 'peer' and find a 50 year old man..

It's the old Brad Paisley song..www.youtube.com

Jan 18th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I feel the same way. Sometimes people tend to paint football players as larger than life when th...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

I feel the same way. Sometimes people tend to paint football players as larger than life when they are just young kids trying to figure things out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I tend to believe he was really that trusting.

--hide--
I am with you Kristen. I will think he is innocent until he says otherwise. My youngest son would be that innocent if he were in a like situation..
Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: A few weeks ago when there was all the conversation about head injuries in football, ...

A few weeks ago when there was all the conversation about head injuries in football, these same two men were having a conversation about the studies that have been done. They have determined that males don't reach their full brain psychological maturity until about age 26.. That's why young men take those hard hits in sports and why you want your soldiers young, because they are fearless when it comes to danger. This Dr was saying if you put a 20 year old in combat, he's going to forge ahead fearlessly..If you put a 40 year old man in combat he's going to hold back and use his wits. Since this is Indy he was using the examples of Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning.. Andrew Luck is that young player giving his all physically and essentially putting himself in harms way.. Where Peyton grew into a cerebral player using his wits to stay out of harms way.. The same can be said for the very young throwing themselves into these online relationships with the belief that they are 'real'. How about young kids that think they are talking to a peer online and go to meet their 'peer' and find a 50 year old man..

--hide--

Hi Donna! The media out here also mentioned that Manti Te'o was a devout Mormon. I think strong religious beliefs may factor into his gulibility (sp? if that's even a word!), as well, for many reasons. Such a shame and so sad! Chelle

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: This topic came up on 'He who shall not be named's' FB wall this evening and this was ...

This topic came up on 'He who shall not be named's' FB wall this evening and this was my response:

When I was in the car a little while ago the radio host and a psychologist were discussing this very situation.. The Dr said that because of online social media this type of thing is happening with increasing frequency..We have started to become a society that is incredibly drawn into the pats on the back that we get from people we don't even know.. He said "How many times have you seen somebody get very hurt feelings because somebody didn't respond to their FB comment..Good grief how many times have we seen that happen in the Forums? He said the younger the people involved are, the more likely they are to really think they are actually involved in a relationship with someone they never met..We need to remember that for all his physical build this is still a kid psychologically..

--hide--

But you have to admit, even though the discussion wound-up going how every conversation on FB goes at the very mention of NOTRE DAME, the OP itself was very funny! mischievous laughing wink

theheart

Jan 18th 2013 new

If it turns out he was duped:

The way I see it, he's a kid. He looks like a man, but he isn't. And he fell in love. Love is a heck-of-a-drug. You don't really reason when you are in love, you ignore warning signs, you go all in. He got burned in the process. If anyone out there had been in love, I'm sure you have probably had this happed to you at some point, in the sense that you ignored things and looked the other way, and it turned out badly. I'm sure he fibbed a little bit about meeting her because he didn't want the whole world to know that he was in an online relationship. Look at the guy! He could get any young girl at ND, so he was probably a bit embarrassed to really say what it was. It is still a bit taboo to say "we met online" to friends and family, and he is having to put it out to the world. Now it's out there and I bet all he wants to do is crawl into a cave and wait for it to blow over.

I feel bad for him; this happened to my sister. She found this guy online and everything changed in her. She started eating right, going out, losing a lot of weight. Turned out her "friend" made up a make believe guy, and killed him off. She was ready to drive four hours to a funeral before they finally told her. Turned her whole life upside down, and now says she is gay. I'm more of the belief that she got burned hard and her "girlfriend" was there when she was at her lowest. People should really think before they do something like this. It is just plain cruel.

If he was part of the ploy:

Wow...

Jon

Jan 18th 2013 new
Wow Jon. You are so right. God bless your dear sister. We are all very vulnerable beings when it comes to wanting to give and receive love. This young man is no different than many of us are, or were at that age. The worst damage of this deception may be what it might do to him and his future relationships. May Our Lady watch over him, no matter what the circumstances.
Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: A few weeks ago when there was all the conversation about head injuries in football, these same tw...

--hide--

This same delayed psychological maturity thing must happen in women too because I'm pretty sure I've gone from being a fearless forger to a more reflective person who uses my wits myself!

Jan 18th 2013 new

Hi Kristen,

Who knows at this point, but am I correct in hearing that this went on for a couple of years? I guess it's possible. Maybe people should make it a policy that after 2 weeks of chatting that they insist on meeting in public.

I have heard of some bizarre stories. One lady I chatted with told me that she was duped into meeting a guy for a date and when she got to the restaurant, the man called her on the cell phone and ran her all over the restaurant saying. "I'm in the bar" and when she went over to find him with the man still on the cell phone she told him she couldn't find him and this went on for about five minutes, until she realized that she was the brunt of a sick joke.

Keith

Jan 18th 2013 new

We're both naive...naive to believe the Manti Te'o's story and naive to belief some stories on this site...but for me, I'd rather be naive then have a cynical heart...

The young man will have to live with the ridicule his whole life and so it goes...

Thanks for your post/thread....

Posts 11 - 20 of 71