Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

01/20/2013 new

Interesting that everyone who has replied so far is a Never Married.. scratchchin

I knew since I was a tiny girl that I wanted to be married some day and have babies.. Religious life never called my name.

01/20/2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?

--hide--
It was way back when.....around the time of the teenage years when I enjoyed dating.

01/20/2013 new

I have wanted to be married since I was 7 years old. I have also felt a call to religious life since I was 7. It's been an interesting decision-making process, realizing, and re-realizing, and wondering and waiting. Just last year I was in contact with several monasteries. When I was 7, my parents had me start praying for my future husband. I set up a small shrine to Mother Mary in my room and I would read Bible stories by it. I loved to hide in my closet and burn incense and think and pray. The idea of religious life has always been like an itch, or a whisper in the back of my mind, but at the very forefront of my mind has always been: marriage, family, children. So, because it has always been the forefront thought, it is something I truly desire, I have decided: this whisper, this itch for religious life is a push toward marriage, it is to guide the way and light the path of all the joys and sorrows in my life toward my destination, rather than it being the destination.

It's hard to explain. But that's the best I can do...

01/20/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: I have wanted to be married since I was 7 years old. I have also felt a call to religious life sin...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

I have wanted to be married since I was 7 years old. I have also felt a call to religious life since I was 7. It's been an interesting decision-making process, realizing, and re-realizing, and wondering and waiting. Just last year I was in contact with several monasteries. When I was 7, my parents had me start praying for my future husband. I set up a small shrine to Mother Mary in my room and I would read Bible stories by it. I loved to hide in my closet and burn incense and think and pray. The idea of religious life has always been like an itch, or a whisper in the back of my mind, but at the very forefront of my mind has always been: marriage, family, children. So, because it has always been the forefront thought, it is something I truly desire, I have decided: this whisper, this itch for religious life is a push toward marriage, it is to guide the way and light the path of all the joys and sorrows in my life toward my destination, rather than it being the destination.

It's hard to explain. But that's the best I can do...

--hide--

Welcome back Mary. hug

01/20/2013 new
You enjoyed dating? Lol I'm 31 and am still waiting for that. I guess that definitely means I never found the one. Ha!
01/20/2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: You enjoyed dating? Lol I'm 31 and am still waiting for that. I guess that definitely means I never f...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: You enjoyed dating? Lol I'm 31 and am still waiting for that. I guess that definitely means I never found the one. Ha!
--hide--
Well, way back then, not all of the dates were enjoyable or successful. It was trial and error -- a natural part of growing up.

You don't know ahead of time if you've met the "right one" unless you spend time with him. Even if things don't work out, you can enjoy a few free dinners or movies..... wink

01/20/2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?

--hide--

For me, as a child watching my parents and other mostly healthy couples interact. biggrin I had wanted to care for a wife, do all sorts of fun things together and be almost inseparable each day, and raise children together with her in a happy home where we serve one another and glorify God.

As a youngster I had the desire, but not the spiritual maturity to know just how to lead a Christ-centered home. Developing that is an ongoing process, and takes much more effort and thought than I'd ever envisioned. It takes much effort and attention to practicing faith in my personal life as I seek to be the spiritual leader in a family environment.

As an adult, and especially since becoming Catholic recently, I'd say that I am only more convinced marriage is my calling. There is now more insight into elements of faith that must bind marriage together, as I learn from watching and interacting with happily married couples I know and receive guidance for building my spiritual life from a Catholic mentor. Couples who strongly focus on faithful integration of our faith into their marriage make an awesome sight to behold. I want to be there someday.

Anyone can marry. Most adults can conceive a child. Actually having a MARRIAGE? I can see how THAT just might take some work!! faint

01/20/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: The idea of religious life has always been like an itch, or a whisper in the back of my mind...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

[...] The idea of religious life has always been like an itch, or a whisper in the back of my mind, but at the very forefront of my mind has always been: marriage, family, children. So, because it has always been the forefront thought, it is something I truly desire, I have decided: this whisper, this itch for religious life is a push toward marriage, it is to guide the way and light the path of all the joys and sorrows in my life toward my destination, rather than it being the destination[...]

--hide--

Mary, that puts into words (very well) what I think many of us here feel. Thank you.

01/20/2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: You enjoyed dating? Lol I'm 31 and am still waiting for that. I guess that definitely means I never f...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: You enjoyed dating? Lol I'm 31 and am still waiting for that. I guess that definitely means I never found the one. Ha!
--hide--
Tara -- I should explain for the benefit of others that there is a considerable difference in dating in these times compared to yesteryear. Very simply put, it's more difficult nowadays. This came to light when my daughter, her friends, and classmates had a difficult time meeting guys who were interested in dating. There were friendship dates, group events, but not much individual dating.

It seems there has been a shift in attitudes toward dating. Many are waiting to finish school (higher education), become established in careers, and so on. The problem with foregoing and sacrificing personal relationships at an earlier age is that it becomes more difficult, and choices are more limited.

Many young people in your age bracket have not experienced the fun of dating because of modern-day thinking. I'm emphasizing this so that people don't think there's something wrong with those who haven't dated yet or have had limited dating experience. There is also more diversity -- not a bad thing in itself, but it leads to some complications, such as compatibility. This adds to the difficulty in finding someone suitable.

01/20/2013 new

A little PS to that -- hang in there and keep trying. My daughter did and ended up with a fine young man. Perseverance and patience pay off!!!

Posts 11 - 20 of 200