Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?

--hide--

None of us heard it from a burning bush. We took a risk, put ourselves out there, met someone, tried to discern, and made a decision. Is it always the right decision? No. But we ventured to love. That is heroic. Guarding the heart so it never loves and is never broken, that only stunts our development.

Irresoluteness is almost as harmful as foolhardy rashness.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: None of us heard it from a burning bush. We took a risk, put ourselves out there, me...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

None of us heard it from a burning bush. We took a risk, put ourselves out there, met someone, tried to discern, and made a decision. Is it always the right decision? No. But we ventured to love. That is heroic. Guarding the heart so it never loves and is never broken, that only stunts our development.

Irresoluteness is almost as harmful as foolhardy rashness.

--hide--
Nice summation, Counselor. wink clap Bow You get a Gold Star!

Feb 4th 2013 new

Well, I feel as though I DID hear from a burning bush! mischievous

I was never really interested in being married. But when I found the Right One, I realized that that's where I was meant to be. Believe me, there is no more wonderful feeling than holding hands in front of the altar, ready to say your vows, and knowing in your heart that you have absolutely no second thoughts or doubts whether this is what you're supposed to do.

That said, am I called to marriage a second time? Honestly, I don't think so, though I am hoping against hope that I'm wrong. I do want someone to care for and about -- who isn't my child -- but I'm pretty well convinced that God has other plans for me.

I just wish He'd let me know what they are.

Feb 5th 2013 new

Am I wrong to want to get married even though I am still praying to God to help me discern? I desire to be a mom and a wife more than anything. However, I don't want to go against God's will and not at least pray about it because what if He wants me to be a nun? I know God will put it in my heart but my heart is hoping so hard to get married. I feel like others who say that they've known they have wanted to be married for a long time are not being criticized. Yet I am feeling criticized for not properly discerning even though I know this is no one's intention and people are trying to be helpful.

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: Am I wrong to want to get married even though I am still praying to God to help me discern? I de...
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

Am I wrong to want to get married even though I am still praying to God to help me discern? I desire to be a mom and a wife more than anything. However, I don't want to go against God's will and not at least pray about it because what if He wants me to be a nun? I know God will put it in my heart but my heart is hoping so hard to get married. I feel like others who say that they've known they have wanted to be married for a long time are not being criticized. Yet I am feeling criticized for not properly discerning even though I know this is no one's intention and people are trying to be helpful.

--hide--

I haven't read most of the responses in this topic, so I can't comment on what others have said to you. Reading the above post I can't tell if you are being overly scrupulous about the discernment process or if your conscience is trying to tell you to be more serious about it. Unfortunately, no one participating in a discussion in an Internet forum is in a position to judge whether you have discerned "enough"; this is something you need to be discussing with your spiritual director. If you don't have a spiritual director, the next step should be to find one who is experienced in helping people discern religious vocations. Trying to discern your vocation without one is like trying to learn to drive without an instructor -- while blindfolded.

My advice would be that since you have a strong desire toward marriage, that it would make sense not to be dating, or even flirting with dating (i.e., checking guys out), while you are in discernment, as this may obscure whatever message God may be trying to send you. (If you're listening for a weak signal on a radio, you don't want to have a loud stereo blaring in the background with your favorite music...). Have you been in contact with any religious orders or been on any retreats or exploratory visits with an order?

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:   I haven't read most of the responses in this topic, so I can't comment on what oth...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I haven't read most of the responses in this topic, so I can't comment on what others have said to you. Reading the above post I can't tell if you are being overly scrupulous about the discernment process or if your conscience is trying to tell you to be more serious about it. Unfortunately, no one participating in a discussion in an Internet forum is in a position to judge whether you have discerned "enough"; this is something you need to be discussing with your spiritual director. If you don't have a spiritual director, the next step should be to find one who is experienced in helping people discern religious vocations. Trying to discern your vocation without one is like trying to learn to drive without an instructor -- while blindfolded.

My advice would be that since you have a strong desire toward marriage, that it would make sense not to be dating, or even flirting with dating (i.e., checking guys out), while you are in discernment, as this may obscure whatever message God may be trying to send you. (If you're listening for a weak signal on a radio, you don't want to have a loud stereo blaring in the background with your favorite music...). Have you been in contact with any religious orders or been on any retreats or exploratory visits with an order?

--hide--

While I understand what you are saying, I feel like I am so strongly called to marriage that maybe I just need to pray about it first. I don't feel so much a calling as to speak with a spiritual director. I am not at that point, if you understand what I am saying. Millions of others have said that they feel that they are called to marriage, but somehow I suspect most haven't prayed about it. I am looking to date seeing as how I am on a dating website. I feel as though if I were really, truly, strongly feeling a "tug" towards being a nun I'd get a spiritual director, though I wouldn't know where to start or what questions to ask. Others have commented on this topic and have said they knew they wanted to be a mom or wife since they were little, but no one is questioning them. I just wonder how many people on this site have actually prayed about this or asked for spirtual advice on this. Yet I am the one who gets scrutiny for not being serious enough about this.

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I haven't read most of the responses in this topic, so I can't comment on what others have said t...

--hide--

But I DO want to get married. almost 100%. I do not feel the calling to be a nun, but I just want to make sure. I just want to make sure I do not miss the opportunity to become "Jesus' bride". Does that make sense?

Feb 5th 2013 new

Jerry makes a good point. There's a difference between wondering whether you have a religious vocation, and prayerfully exploring the possibility.

I think we all wonder...esp. when no one seems interested in dating us. laughing

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I haven't read most of the responses in this topic, so I can't comment on what others have said t...

--hide--

I don't want to be a nun. I want to get married, but I want to make sure by praying about it.

Feb 5th 2013 new

What is wrong with the forum today. lol.

Posts 131 - 140 of 200