Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: Don't feel criticized Marita, I think your doing the right things and this will ...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

Don't feel criticized Marita, I think your doing the right things and this will help you grow closer to God in the end. I'm no one's spiritual director, but I do know to do this right you have to truly summit your will and your Hart to God's will. This needs to be done turthly from the bottom of your heart. Then he will lead you to the path he wants you to take.

The best advice I can offer is the Mexican saying " Pray and then take action." Meaning spend sometime in deep prayer and then take some type of action ( talk to a Nun, go on a date or retreat, something)

I hope that is a little helpful to you.

--hide--

I don't feel a "real tug" to the nunnery enough to talk to someone about it. I feel like if I talk to someone suddenly I'll "guilt trip" myself into it or . Keep in mind that I was not the one who started the post. However, I appreciate your advice. My faith has been increasing these past few months and I find myself going to adoration, saying Novenas, frequenting confession, going to Daily Mass more often, etc. However, I feel that this is more of a sign of maturity, turning to God in tough times, and a preparation towards leading a good, Holy family. In fact, I just talked to my mother about this and she said if it was truly my calling I would have a good feeling about it. The thought of becoming a nun makes me sad.

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: (Quote) Justin-32820 said: Don't feel criticized Marita,...
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

Quote:
Justin-32820 said:

Don't feel criticized Marita, I think your doing the right things and this will help you grow closer to God in the end. I'm no one's spiritual director, but I do know to do this right you have to truly summit your will and your Hart to God's will. This needs to be done turthly from the bottom of your heart. Then he will lead you to the path he wants you to take.

The best advice I can offer is the Mexican saying " Pray and then take action." Meaning spend sometime in deep prayer and then take some type of action ( talk to a Nun, go on a date or retreat, something)

I hope that is a little helpful to you.

I don't feel a "real tug" to the nunnery enough to talk to someone about it. I feel like if I talk to someone suddenly I'll "guilt trip" myself into it or . Keep in mind that I was not the one who started the post. However, I appreciate your advice. My faith has been increasing these past few months and I find myself going to adoration, saying Novenas, frequenting confession, going to Daily Mass more often, etc. However, I feel that this is more of a sign of maturity, turning to God in tough times, and a preparation towards leading a good, Holy family. In fact, I just talked to my mother about this and she said if it was truly my calling I would have a good feeling about it. The thought of becoming a nun makes me sad.

--hide--

To be clear, I was not trying to suggest you need to talk to a Nun or convent, in fact, I would recommend going on as many dates possible before anything else. I only tossed the "talking to a nun" in there because you and Jerry were discussing it. I reached out before and said something because you seamed like you where suffering with this and these things can be opportunity to grow closer to God. I personally believe that in order to be true followers of Christ we need be willing to give up our hearts desires for him and this is an opportunity for you.

You need not go to a nunnery to do this, just give your will to God and do the next thing that seams logical to you.

I maybe assuming to much, so forgive me if i am, but this is what I was really driving at.

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: I don't feel a "real tug" to the nunnery enough to talk to someone ab...

--hide--

Okay, a few things:

If you feel compelled to be a wife and mother, that's probably your calling.

But, it's good to pray about it; don't be scared to pray. I'm glad you're overcoming this. My sister had a conversion in July and freaked out that God might want her to be a nun. She's like, But, I'm supposed to quit my job as a teacher and leave my family? It didn't seem like she had any "calling" to be a nun, but when she was Googling "conversions," she came across some nuns who fought hard to not listen but then gave in and answered the call. This freaked her out.

I never thought my "calling" was to go into education. My brother and sister are teachers, and this NEVER crossed my mind. But look where I am? Dealing with beautiful high schoolers everyday. lol God has SUCH a sense of humor.

I recently read Praying for Your Future Husband, and I definitely recommend it. Do I know if I should get married? No. Do I feel called to the religious life? No. But I have to be open to God's Plan because He knows best. If I stray from it, I'm sure a disaster will occur. Though it's normal to be scared of the "unknown," we have to trust. Is that scary? OH, YES. But, I think that in becoming closer with Christ, the fear will dissipate.

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Okay, a few things: If you feel compelled to be a wife and mother, that...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Okay, a few things:

But, it's good to pray about it; don't be scared to pray. I'm glad you're overcoming this. My sister had a conversion in July and freaked out that God might want her to be a nun. She's like, But, I'm supposed to quit my job as a teacher and leave my family? It didn't seem like she had any "calling" to be a nun, but when she was Googling "conversions," she came across some nuns who fought hard to not listen but then gave in and answered the call. This freaked her out.

I never thought my "calling" was to go into education. My brother and sister are teachers, and this NEVER crossed my mind. But look where I am? Dealing with beautiful high schoolers everyday. lol God has SUCH a sense of humor.

I recently read Praying for Your Future Husband, and I definitely recommend it. Do I know if I should get married? No. Do I feel called to the religious life? No. But I have to be open to God's Plan because He knows best. If I stray from it, I'm sure a disaster will occur. Though it's normal to be scared of the "unknown," we have to trust. Is that scary? OH, YES. But, I think that in becoming closer with Christ, the fear will dissipate.

--hide--

Thanks for the advice. I feel my calling is towards marriage. I do pray for my future husband and have been writing to him since I was about 20. 2 people have casually mentioned the nunnery over the years but that doesn't mean that it is my calling. I was praying the Rosary earlier and trying to accept God's will. I was crying about it. Someone said it is like getting married. You shouldn't get married if you don't want to do it. However, I am praying about it and looked up information online. I think I'd make a wonderful mother if that is my calling. I'm sure I'd do fine in the nunnery, too. At this point in my life I don't feel called to the nunnery. My mom even said that I'd have the desire to do it. I don't have the desire, but I have to be sure. I've spoken with many people here and they say I'm called to marriage. I'm in the middle of a Novena praying for my future husband but now I am praying that I will be able to accept his will. I went to adoration, too this evening. This afternoon the thought of being a nun made me panic and I even cried about it. This is not how someone should feel. Can you imagine a bride walking down an isle crying? It is supposed to be the happiest day of her life. I feel that I am overthinking this, but I don't want to say no to Jesus if he wants me to be a nun.

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: Thanks for the advice. I feel my calling is towards marriage. I do pray for my futu...

Thanks for the advice. I feel my calling is towards marriage. I do pray for my future husband and have been writing to him since I was about 20. 2 people have casually mentioned the nunnery over the years but that doesn't mean that it is my calling. I was praying the Rosary earlier and trying to accept God's will. I was crying about it. Someone said it is like getting married. You shouldn't get married if you don't want to do it. However, I am praying about it and looked up information online. I think I'd make a wonderful mother if that is my calling. I'm sure I'd do fine in the nunnery, too. At this point in my life I don't feel called to the nunnery. My mom even said that I'd have the desire to do it. I don't have the desire, but I have to be sure. I've spoken with many people here and they say I'm called to marriage. I'm in the middle of a Novena praying for my future husband but now I am praying that I will be able to accept his will. I went to adoration, too this evening. This afternoon the thought of being a nun made me panic and I even cried about it. This is not how someone should feel. Can you imagine a bride walking down an isle crying? It is supposed to be the happiest day of her life. I feel that I am overthinking this, but I don't want to say no to Jesus if he wants me to be a nun.

--hide--

Good evening, Marita. I think the best thing to do here is not to get bogged down in the particulars of vocations, but to remember a simple truth that God spoke for all of us:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink,
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,
yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are not you more important than they?
Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?
Why are you anxious about clothes?
Learn from the way the wild flowers grow.
They do not work or spin.
But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor
was clothed like one of them.
If God so clothes the grass of the field,
which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow,
will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?'
or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?'
All these things the pagans seek.
Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil."
~Matthew 6: 25-34 Don't let yourself become anxious by trying to find definitive answers to the big questions of your ultimate future right now. The realities of where and with whom you may end up may well be a long way from being manifested in your life. That's OK. Embrace the promptings of the Holy Spirit in the small decisions you face every day, and you'll feel the joy of Mary's fiat. And along the way you'll often be amazed at the wonders God will work in your life. I guarantee it. :)
Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Matthew-523856 said: Good evening, Marita. I think the best thing to do here is not to get bogged down ...
(Quote) Matthew-523856 said:

Good evening, Marita. I think the best thing to do here is not to get bogged down in the particulars of vocations, but to remember a simple truth that God spoke for all of us:

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,
what you will eat or drink,
or about your body, what you will wear.
Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,
yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are not you more important than they?
Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?
Why are you anxious about clothes?
Learn from the way the wild flowers grow.
They do not work or spin.
But I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor
was clothed like one of them.
If God so clothes the grass of the field,
which grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow,
will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?
So do not worry and say, 'What are we to eat?'
or 'What are we to drink?' or 'What are we to wear?'
All these things the pagans seek.
Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.
But seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil."
~Matthew 6: 25-34 Don't let yourself become anxious by trying to find definitive answers to the big questions of your ultimate future right now. The realities of where and with whom you may end up may well be a long way from being manifested in your life. That's OK. Embrace the promptings of the Holy Spirit in the small decisions you face every day, and you'll feel the joy of Mary's fiat. And along the way you'll often be amazed at the wonders God will work in your life. I guarantee it. :)

--hide--

Thanks, Matthew.

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: To be clear, I was not trying to suggest you need to talk to a Nun or convent, in fa...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

To be clear, I was not trying to suggest you need to talk to a Nun or convent, in fact, I would recommend going on as many dates possible before anything else. I only tossed the "talking to a nun" in there because you and Jerry were discussing it. I reached out before and said something because you seamed like you where suffering with this and these things can be opportunity to grow closer to God. I personally believe that in order to be true followers of Christ we need be willing to give up our hearts desires for him and this is an opportunity for you.

You need not go to a nunnery to do this, just give your will to God and do the next thing that seams logical to you.

I maybe assuming to much, so forgive me if i am, but this is what I was really driving at.

--hide--

Okay. Now I understand what you were saying, Justin.

Feb 7th 2013 new
(Quote) Tara-916865 said: Okay, a few things: If you feel compelled to be a wife and mother, that&#...
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

Okay, a few things:

--hide--

I don't quite agree that a disaster will come, Tara. While you may have been happiest if you followed God's original call, whether it be to the monastery or the married state, or for men, Holy Orders, I believe that God will re-route us, if you will, if we take another path.

It is absolutely impossible for anyone who is not God to know for sure what our real calling is. And I think God understands this, so that he will carve another way to holiness, and to everlasting life, for those who trust him until the end.
Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-302787 said: I don't quite agree that a disaster will come, Tara. While you may have been happiest if you ...
(Quote) Paul-302787 said:

I don't quite agree that a disaster will come, Tara. While you may have been happiest if you followed God's original call, whether it be to the monastery or the married state, or for men, Holy Orders, I believe that God will re-route us, if you will, if we take another path.

It is absolutely impossible for anyone who is not God to know for sure what our real calling is. And I think God understands this, so that he will carve another way to holiness, and to everlasting life, for those who trust him until the end.
--hide--

I exaggerate; I'm Italian. lol

Feb 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

When and how did you come to realize that you were called to the Sacrament of Matrimony?

--hide--
Wow! This is a long story for me. Here goes, I will try to share it in a way that makes sense. As I was going through the annulment process I asked God alot if I should bother with hoping for such a gift. Over and over in my mind I heard the answer as yes. Not so much heard but it was a thought and the thought was always the same. I must have asked that question in prayer at least 20 times. The last time I asked, it was like God was laughing at me in my head. The thought was in laughter... "you keep asking me and I keep telling you the answer is yes. ha ha ha I see your life and I see it right there. ha ha ha The answer is yes. ha ha I dont know what else to tell you. ha ha ha" to that thought I said, "ok, I obviously need conviction. I dont believe the thoughts in my head. I dont know that it is really you or just what I want to think." To that I had the thought in my mind of the passage where Jesus said, You think of yourselves as good parents, who among you would give their child a snake or a stone if they asked for bread? How much better is your Father in heaven who knows what you really need. To that I responded with... "you know God, I have been going to church my whole life. I know readings, and passages to fit almost anything I want to tell myself. I still don't feel convicted, That idea could just be my goofy mind." So a few days went by and a guy I worked with who retired soon after, asked me about my single life and how it was going. We had chatted about me dating before and I had said that my life wasn't ready yet. So he was inquiring about the NOW. I told him of my prayer and what had happened in my head and I started to say... Even if it's just in my goofy head... WHEN this older gentleman said.... NO! YOU CAN'T SAY IF.... you have to say WHEN! When it happens.... not if it happens... ! I really felt connected to that answer from him but I still didnt feel convicted yet. Another few days went by and I was at mass and sure enough...the readings that had been in my mind during prayer...that were stated above... WHERE THE VERY READINGS THAT WEEKEND! I sat in my pew... and I prayed. I said, Ok, God I got it! I'm convicted. I belive that is You in my head. I BELIEVE! I dont ask anymore. I believe. It is frustrating sometimes to have such a conviction because it makes you look over your shoulder all the time. I feel like Abraham and Sarah waiting on their promise. I feel like Simeon as he waited on God to show him the Christ that was promised to come before his death. Over and over God's promises are fulfilled and in Him I trust!

Posts 151 - 160 of 200