Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jul 17th 2013 new
Dear John, I truly felt much comfort as I read your letter. You are a man endowed with much wisdom, and I can tell from the Holy Spirit. I will dare to write this on this forum. I am taking a chance by saying something very dramatical.
I have been home from Tucson since 1974, and I was a very agressive and zealous for the Catholic Church to learn as much as I could as possible. I ran into alot of Apathy and so what attitudes. The Viet Nam war was over and I wanted to get back into the dating as soon as possible.
I was made to feel like a FREAK. I was a new Veteran of the Air Force, proud of my accomplishments, and meet a nice Lady and start a new life. I might as well have lived in a Zoo.
I am a conservative, a good work record, and clean background.
The attitude was so what. The point being John I wasnt considered good enough. I was rejected alot, and how many times I felt worthless.
When your selfesteem is shot and the same for a woman, young people were into vices, where did marriage stand a chance. The Church at that time, single people were invisible at that time, being single was the in thing and pursuing as high an education as possbile. Marriage was the last thing in ones mind.
I am 63 now, and just a tired warrior/searcher I feel like rip van winkle. Thank you for letting express myself. If anyone does not like my entry delete it.
You have much courage John, GOD be with you
Michael
Jul 17th 2013 new
I would love to know this as well. I know that if I stay single, there is definitely a way to live a holy life outside of the Religious Life. I can only go on my personal story and say that St Therese the Little Flower told me in 9 days whether or not I was meant to marry or stay single. I asked specifically for a sign of a pink tulip as a "yes." The very next day, I received a card with 7 pink tulips on it. I didn't want to assume that this was the signal for the answer, so I continued my novena and asked for another sign, 3 days later, I get another card with a picture of a pink tulip. Then I told St Therese that because I'm bullheaded, I want a sure sign-- give me the sign of seeing an entire slew of pink tulips and no, I don't want another card, "I want to see real pink tulips in front of me." Later that evening, I went to the market and there they were directly in front of me as I entered, an entire showcase of pink tulips of every shade of pink imaginable. There was an easy 100 pink tulips. I have learned from a friend of mine to ask St Therese during my novena for one color rose for "yes" and another color rose for "no." Then in reading a book, I read that one can ask for any type of flower, and if the answer is in the positive, you will get a sign with that specific flower. Some have asked for daisies because this was St Therese's favorite flower. Other's have asked for sunflowers. Me... I asked for a pink tulip because it is my favorite flower :) So, there you go, how I got my answer and how I came to put my profile up here on CM.

Jul 22nd 2013 new
I agree. I never get more peace and joy than when I anticipate hopefully being a husband and dad someday. I think I just need to get out of my own way.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Plus, I've had to serve as a surrogate dad to all five of my nieces and nephews, and when I was stationed in TX, a widowed mother of three in our young adults group and her daughters "adopted" me. I felt such joy and peace with those three little girls that it just stoked my desire to have kids of my own, whether natural or adopted. I have to believe that God wanted that to happen as a sign. Having grown up in a dysfunctional family, losing a parent at a young age and being alone most of the time growing up, I've always longed for family. And although, I hate being alone, I won't desperately take the first girl that comes along. I leave the timing up to God. Father Emmerich Vogt once commented that some people are so codependent that when they have a near-death experience, other people's lives flash before their eyes. None of that for me.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
I once reluctantly attended a youth conference by a Catholic group which included a skit illustrating that very thing - a young man in love with a wonderful woman, but in the skit God was telling the young man that even though it was his heart's desire and gave him great joy, he had to forego marriage and enter the Priesthood instead, to which the young man began crying, screaming, and begging God not to force him to forego his desire for marriage and family. I find it hard to believe that a loving God would do such a thing, and this experience really screwed me up in terms of knowing who God is, versus who others tell me He is. Later I saw a video in which the founder of this group stated that those who don't pursue their vocations will "taste eternal fire".

It took the help of a few good Priests and other good devout Catholics to convince me that this is not who God is. A kind and loving Father doesn't do that to His children.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
I echo your statement that when you get the most discouraged, He seems to fulfill His promise in Isaiah 57, coming down to revive our hearts. I know He's certainly done that for me. In fact, had I trusted what I now think was His voice all along, I'd have avoided a horrible experience that really tested my faith. Now life seems to be much more worth living.
Jul 22nd 2013 new

I know that I was called to marriage because I heard it on the radio.....It was either in a Kenny Rogers song or a Johnny Cash song....We all know that songs don't ever lie....!
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Because I can't cook my own meals.
Jul 22nd 2013 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said:

Cuz being single sucks!!

laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing
Jul 22nd 2013 new
Well, I thought I was called about seventeen years ago after some soul-searching and prayer, but since I can't get anyone to volunteer to help me with this calling, I have to wonder if I wasn't mistaken. This topic has been automatically locked due to size. Any further discussion can be continued in a new topic.
Posts 191 - 200 of 200