Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Good choice to go back to the Balti...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

Good choice to go back to the Baltimore Catechism!

To pick a nit (for the benefit of anyone who might want to research further) the question you reference is #6 in the older Baltimore Catechisms; in the New St. Joseph edition it is split between questions 3-5 (IIRC). Question 1 is "Who made the world?"

For those not familiar with the Baltimore Catechism, a copy of book no. 2 is available online at www.ourladyswarriors.org

The Nazareth Master Catechism, which contains the catechisms of Aquinas, Trent, Baltimore, Pius X, and the CCC (the current catechism) may be found at www.cin.org

You are absolutely right, Jerry. It is question #6 from Lesson One. All nit picking aside, it is a great lesson. Thank you for posting the sites.

- Elizabeth

--hide--

You're welcome.

I neglected to mention that the Baltimore Catechism on the Master Catechism site is book no. 4, which is the explanation of the Baltimore Catechism. This volumes contains the basic questions and answers along with more detailed explanations that are not present in books 1-3; it is essentially the teacher's guide.

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Marita-847688 said: I'd like to hear from a widow/widower who has actually gone through marriage.
(Quote) Marita-847688 said:

I'd like to hear from a widow/widower who has actually gone through marriage.

--hide--

I was widowed earlier this year. When did I know I was called to marriage? I have always known I was called to be a wife and mother. Only once did I consider becoming a nun, it lasted about five minutes during vocation week when I was in fifth grade. This should make you laugh. Sister Claudia was talking about her time as a novice in the Dominican motherhouse, and one of the duties for the novices was to spend time on their knees with a brush, brushing the fringe on a huge round tapestry rug that took up the foyer of the motherhouse and they would pray in silence during this act. I could picture it and it seemed so peaceful and deliberate and I thought, "Oh, I could do that, how nice to brush that fringe straight and make it all orderly and neat." I daydreamed for a few minutes about this, then it was almost as if something inside me shook me hard and I snapped out of it immediately and thought, "That's horrible, you'd never be able to do that and besides your going to be a mom."

I actually met my husband several months after a very, very bad situation, which had left me with the conviction that I would no longer date and was no longer considering marriage. He had made plans to go out with my younger sister, who at the very last minute received a better offer from her perspective and canceled on him just minutes before he was supposed to pick her up. I was trying to shame her into keeping her date. I thought it was just incredibly rude of her to dump him at the last minute. He took it in stride and asked her if there was anyone else there that might want to go run around and get some dinner. She tossed the phone in my lap and took off. I didn't now what to say, and I felt so bad for him so I agreed to go out with him as a mercy date basically. I asked him to give me an hour to get ready. He was at the door in fifteen minutes, came right in and sat down at the table with my little brothers. A month later he asked me to marry him. I laughed and said "if you're still around in three months." Nine months after that we married and I can remember thinking "what am I doing?" Pete was killed one week before what would have been our 25th official wedding anniversary -- so almost twenty six years since that mercy date lol.

Both of us always believed that God brought us together, orchestrated our meeting, even our wedding day. That's one of the reasons it is so difficult now without him. I believe I was called to marriage and family life. I have never felt as if I were called to young widowhood. We were pretty young when we married and yet both of us were very committed to the relationship, to our family. But, if there hadn't been some serious silent prodding from above I am not sure we would have gotten there at all. :-) I don't regret it at all and after that initial thought of "What a I doing," I never had a second thought. We raised four beautiful children, struggled, fought, laughed, loved, worked together, sacrificed, talked. . .he was my best friend, my safe haven, my biggest kid lol. He was my other half. And, he felt the same.

So I've always known that was my calling.

Lauren

Jan 20th 2013 new

I can imagine that St. Therese might say to you, Your vocation is love. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, and know, know, know that God will lead you to the love that you were created for.

Jan 20th 2013 new

I thought I should probably add a couple of things. And, bear with me I'm an archaeologist and we routinely write forty page papers unlike other more concise disciplines.

1. Since my husband's death, I have revisted the idea that perhaps I should seek a religious vocation, all of my children are grown so there is no impediment. But, I continue to feel absolutely no pull in that direction.

2. The single life as a widow is always a possibility and would fit the pattern of all the other women in my family who were widowed - none ever remarried. My mother, however, told me just days after Pete's death, you are young, you'll remarry. I was outraged that she would even suggest such a thing when no one else, herself included ever remarried. Several friends also brought up the possibility of remarriage and being good scientists had data to back up, that I would be more likely to remarry because I was very happy being married, being a wife --- and please don't think that means it was always easy or perfect and rosy because believe me, there were hard, barren times along the way as well.

3. I know that I am open to remarrying. Who I have no idea. But, I am sure God does. There is obviously more for me to do and the one thing I remain certain of, is that I have love to share and the abilities to share my life with another. And, as confusing and bewildering as that idea can be, having had a long and committed marriage. I know that God will provide whatever graces necessary to fulfill whatever He calls me to do and love whoever He brings into my world.

4. I have found, and the older I get, the easier this becomes -- sometimes :-). . .that when I am in doubt, or facing something I am fighting, if I fall back on the wisdom of the Church and the faith that God will provide whatever is necessary for me to accomplish the task He sets before me, even altering my own thoughts on the matter, and just trust in those two things, everything comes out as it should including changes in my own heart and thoughts. . . in fact. . . perhaps I should be embracing this practice more firmly right now as I have fought against this sudden widowhood with great pain and hurt and fury at its cruelty and inequity. Hmmm, I definitely should be taking my own advice here lol. . .didn't see that one coming, but thanks for posting this query. :-)

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: I can imagine that St. Therese might say to you, Your vocation is love. Don't put too much pre...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

I can imagine that St. Therese might say to you, Your vocation is love. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, and know, know, know that God will lead you to the love that you were created for.

--hide--

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

--hide--

I promise I will get the hang of this posting thing lol. . . this is to John so hook it onto the empty post above --- that is --- beautiful.

Jan 20th 2013 new
Like Mary I knew I wanted to be married when I was five years old. :)
Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: I was widowed earlier this year. When did I know I was called to marriage? I have alway...

I was widowed earlier this year. When did I know I was called to marriage? I have always known I was called to be a wife and mother. Only once did I consider becoming a nun, it lasted about five minutes during vocation week when I was in fifth grade. This should make you laugh. Sister Claudia was talking about her time as a novice in the Dominican motherhouse, and one of the duties for the novices was to spend time on their knees with a brush, brushing the fringe on a huge round tapestry rug that took up the foyer of the motherhouse and they would pray in silence during this act. I could picture it and it seemed so peaceful and deliberate and I thought, "Oh, I could do that, how nice to brush that fringe straight and make it all orderly and neat." I daydreamed for a few minutes about this, then it was almost as if something inside me shook me hard and I snapped out of it immediately and thought, "That's horrible, you'd never be able to do that and besides your going to be a mom."

I actually met my husband several months after a very, very bad situation, which had left me with the conviction that I would no longer date and was no longer considering marriage. He had made plans to go out with my younger sister, who at the very last minute received a better offer from her perspective and canceled on him just minutes before he was supposed to pick her up. I was trying to shame her into keeping her date. I thought it was just incredibly rude of her to dump him at the last minute. He took it in stride and asked her if there was anyone else there that might want to go run around and get some dinner. She tossed the phone in my lap and took off. I didn't now what to say, and I felt so bad for him so I agreed to go out with him as a mercy date basically. I asked him to give me an hour to get ready. He was at the door in fifteen minutes, came right in and sat down at the table with my little brothers. A month later he asked me to marry him. I laughed and said "if you're still around in three months." Nine months after that we married and I can remember thinking "what am I doing?" Pete was killed one week before what would have been our 25th official wedding anniversary -- so almost twenty six years since that mercy date lol.

Both of us always believed that God brought us together, orchestrated our meeting, even our wedding day. That's one of the reasons it is so difficult now without him. I believe I was called to marriage and family life. I have never felt as if I were called to young widowhood. We were pretty young when we married and yet both of us were very committed to the relationship, to our family. But, if there hadn't been some serious silent prodding from above I am not sure we would have gotten there at all. :-) I don't regret it at all and after that initial thought of "What a I doing," I never had a second thought. We raised four beautiful children, struggled, fought, laughed, loved, worked together, sacrificed, talked. . .he was my best friend, my safe haven, my biggest kid lol. He was my other half. And, he felt the same.

So I've always known that was my calling.

Lauren

--hide--

That is really beautiful Lauren. sad Thanks for sharing it - REALLY. That is the beautiful way that I want to believe that this works. You are very blessed to have experienced such a love once in life. I hope it happens for you again.

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: That is really beautiful Lauren. Thanks for sharing it - REALLY. That is the beauti...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

That is really beautiful Lauren. Thanks for sharing it - REALLY. That is the beautiful way that I want to believe that this works. You are very blessed to have experienced such a love once in life. I hope it happens for you again.

--hide--

thank you Kristen. I do believe it works this way and I hope it happens for you, too. And, I am very blessed and most grateful for the time we had together.

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Hi Elizabeth! Love, love, love...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Hi Elizabeth! Love, love, love the new picture! It's very feminine. Chelle

PS Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment!!

--hide--

Thank you, Chelle. smile

Posts 51 - 60 of 200