Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Nancy-926029 said:

--hide--
Getting along is a commitment to and looking forward to meeting should be like Christmas every day.It can be nice and it can be hectic to. If they are worth it then I say it is OK,the right one may never be right under your nose they could be hidden and you need to search them out.What ever happened to men liking a challenge? Blessings and Peace!!!

yea, where is waldo? shhh lol i do like what you said about looking forward to his visits like Christmas! present rose chemistry lasts from 6-18 months, enough time for true love to set in and marry their special someone. Wolf Whistle wink stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Jan 27th 2013 new
I think, simply, if we stay open to God's Will, doors will open or close and by events we will know what He wants. Long distance, no distance...I think leaving it in His hands is exciting. Who knows what He is has in store?
Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Nancy-926029 said: Loretta you mean he plain left you for that? OMG The men today are very picky and that is because...

Loretta you mean he plain left you for that? OMG The men today are very picky and that is because the woman are not!@ I to have my eye on a man from Colorado but he won't budge so I will move on even though I would love to meet him and would move in a heart beat to:)

--hide--
I'm all for extending an invitation but I'm NOT for pushing my way into someone elses life. I want and deserve to be invited. I have lots to offer. I know it. What I have to offer may not be what everyone wants but I'm not looking to please everyone. I am looking to love God, and then love someone through the over flow of love that God gives to me. I am blessed. God is good to me. I hope to share my blessings with someone. It will be fine. God is good!

Jan 27th 2013 new

LDRs have a lot of elements that can either work in favour or against the relationship moving toward the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

There is the time zone versus geographical distance. 500 miles away in the same time zone may not be as big of an impediment as 500 miles crossing a time zone, due to difficulties scheduling communication and travel related stress. Add a couple of extra time zones, and things get a bit more complicated.

There is distance in the same country, the same continent or around the world and how people perceive that distance. Personally, I grew up in near the Canada-US border, so a cross-border LDR is not that intimidating in my mind. However, anything else becomes a little more difficult to contemplate. People who have never lived near a national border or travelled outside of their own country much may find crossing those edges on the map a little more intimidating. A lot of people who may have who lived in different places around the world for their education, work or family reasons might feel more at ease in different surroundings and more comfortable travelling longer distances.

In addition to circumstances like work or family reasons determining how likely we are to enter in to LDRs, we are all unique with different circumstances shaping our perceptions and different comfort zones regarding LDRs.

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: I think, simply, if we stay open to God's Will, doors will open or close and by events we will know wh...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: I think, simply, if we stay open to God's Will, doors will open or close and by events we will know what He wants. Long distance, no distance...I think leaving it in His hands is exciting. Who knows what He is has in store?
--hide--

Well said as always Meg.

Jan 27th 2013 new
(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Well said as always Meg.
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Well said as always Meg.

--hide--

Hi, Shara! How are you? Yes, some time ago I decided to roll with things, do the best I can and...that's all. I see that I certainly don't always make the best decisions and of course can't control events so...

smile theheart rosary
Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Brian-699857 said: Thanks Cheryl. Yes, we met on CM. Valerie took out a one month membership early last ...
(Quote) Brian-699857 said:

Thanks Cheryl. Yes, we met on CM. Valerie took out a one month membership early last year, and then found me in her search. She's from California, and at the time I was still in Phoenix. I'll see what I can put together for a success story.

--hide--
I already think it is interesting because she found you and with only ONE month membership...I've been on and off here for four years already! You also responded and made effort apparently to do a LDR which I find rare in a guy on here. Well, can't wait to hear the success story, and I really do wish the both of you the best.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I already think it is interesting because she found you and with only ONE month memb...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

I already think it is interesting because she found you and with only ONE month membership...I've been on and off here for four years already! You also responded and made effort apparently to do a LDR which I find rare in a guy on here. Well, can't wait to hear the success story, and I really do wish the both of you the best.

--hide--

Yes, that was the ironic part of the process laughing This was Valerie's first attempt at an internet search. But, like she told me, after working in a profession for 25 years surrounded by 95% men, she had a very focused view of what she was looking for in a relationship and she kept expanding her her search radius until she found who she was looking for (I like to say in typical Marine fashion cool ).

But, I think the most notable part of the entire process was that she wasn't hesitant about reaching out and initiating contact. Otherwise I would have never known she was out there. The forums are filled with topics about; who goes first, what to say, is an emote an acceptable form of introduction, etc. I liked one of the previous responses to this thread about how people used to write letters before the invention of the internet, and how today that's become a lost art form. The salient point to that comment was that it took a person time to sit down, think through, and compose a letter. This is just my personal opinion, but I believe the same thing applies to online profiles. It doesn't matter if it's a man or woman. If someone doesn't take the time to compose a good profile, or take the time to say more than three words in an introductory letter, I wonder how serious they are. Everyone has to have a good feel for what someone says about themselves in a profile. Then, once you see something that catches your eye, don't get wrapped up etiquette, ancient customs, or your online friends' advice. Be bold, reach out and take the time to say more than hi or a blank emote with a waving hand. Send a letter and mention what attracted you to that person's profile.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: LDRs have a lot of elements that can either work in favour or against the relationship moving to...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

LDRs have a lot of elements that can either work in favour or against the relationship moving toward the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.

There is the time zone versus geographical distance. 500 miles away in the same time zone may not be as big of an impediment as 500 miles crossing a time zone, due to difficulties scheduling communication and travel related stress. Add a couple of extra time zones, and things get a bit more complicated.

There is distance in the same country, the same continent or around the world and how people perceive that distance. Personally, I grew up in near the Canada-US border, so a cross-border LDR is not that intimidating in my mind. However, anything else becomes a little more difficult to contemplate. People who have never lived near a national border or travelled outside of their own country much may find crossing those edges on the map a little more intimidating. A lot of people who may have who lived in different places around the world for their education, work or family reasons might feel more at ease in different surroundings and more comfortable travelling longer distances.

In addition to circumstances like work or family reasons determining how likely we are to enter in to LDRs, we are all unique with different circumstances shaping our perceptions and different comfort zones regarding LDRs.

--hide--

Hi Angela,

thanks - this helped me realize why both myself and my LDR-girl might be interested in taking the effort: We both live near countryborders, and we both have family and/or friends with succesful LDR's.

Also I liked a post by someone else about LDR working in favour sometimes by providing the opportinity to first get to know eachother, separate from the physical side, before totally committing. That makes it difficult, but also opens the possibility of more purity and deeper affection on the emotional level.

I think one condition is to both realize the need for maturity: There needs to be a full conviction that "it might work" but not as some sort of crazy infatuation... Knowing that you both like to stay talking daily without seeing eachother physically, after even a lot of weeks separate, I think then -and maybe only then- it's time to say the LDR is worth proceeding with.

Jan 28th 2013 new

I had another thought about this too....a definitely female thought...

I think I'd rather someone chose me because it's me not because I happen to live a block or two away and am convenient....just sayin!

Posts 71 - 80 of 92