Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Some of you may recognize the above quote from the t.v. show Mad Men's main character Don Draper. When I heard that quote I wondered if he was not far from the truth. I think that the internet lends itself to unrealistic expectations. I think about the story this past week of Te'o from Nortre Dame. He claims that he was duped into believing that he had a real girlfriend to find out that it was all a hoax. What I find interesting is that he described this woman in the most endearing terms. Now with that being said, I feel sometimes that the internet has created a totally unrealistic world when it comes to dating because more than once I have chatted with women who seemed perfectly happy just continuing on with electronic communication. I've recently made a friend on CM who states that she realizes that electronic communcation doesn't correlate to in person chemistry. So that goes to the whole idea of "falling in love." Is it just an allusion, is the feeling of falling in love just how God made us so we will bond with one another to continue to mate and popuate the planet or was it created by guys like Don Draper to sell nylons? I heard Dr. James Dobson once say that the whole idea of "falling in love" is a new concept and prior to Shakespeare the idea of finding the perfect mate and physical attraction didn't exist at all to the extent that it does now. Maybe that is why there is a certain amount of disappointment with internet dating because the image that we have created in our minds simply doesn't exist.
"By love you mean big lightning bolts to the heart, where you can't eat and you can't work, and you just run off and get married and make babies. The reason you haven't felt is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me...to sell nylons....Don Draper : You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one......Don Draper
Keith
Jan 19th 2013 new

Sorry Keith, I don't watch much tv, is it possible to find a clip of this so we can understand more clearly exactly what you are referring to? Thanks

Jan 19th 2013 new

We are not born alone. We are born into, and surrounded by, a loving family. Even if it is a family of one. And as we grow in love we are always seeking to enhance that family. Keeping God as the head of that family and finding a balance of all the human feelings such as chemistry and compatibility is what has become more difficult in today's world of rampant divorce and lack of commitment. However it is not impossible because with God ALL things are possible. IF this internet "dating" is a hoax it will surface sooner or later. Trust in the Lord for He is good. He will lead you to where you need to be, just don't expect to not have your knees skinned along the way --- it builds character. Besides- who wears panty hose anymore? LOL laughing

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Keith-926558 said: Some of you may recognize the above quote from the t.v. show Mad Men's main character Don Draper. Wh...
(Quote) Keith-926558 said: Some of you may recognize the above quote from the t.v. show Mad Men's main character Don Draper. When I heard that quote I wondered if he was not far from the truth. I think that the internet lends itself to unrealistic expectations. I think about the story this past week of Te'o from Nortre Dame. He claims that he was duped into believing that he had a real girlfriend to find out that it was all a hoax. What I find interesting is that he described this woman in the most endearing terms. Now with that being said, I feel sometimes that the internet has created a totally unrealistic world when it comes to dating because more than once I have chatted with women who seemed perfectly happy just continuing on with electronic communication. I've recently made a friend on CM who states that she realizes that electronic communcation doesn't correlate to in person chemistry. So that goes to the whole idea of "falling in love." Is it just an allusion, is the feeling of falling in love just how God made us so we will bond with one another to continue to mate and popuate the planet or was it created by guys like Don Draper to sell nylons? I heard Dr. James Dobson once say that the whole idea of "falling in love" is a new concept and prior to Shakespeare the idea of finding the perfect mate and physical attraction didn't exist at all to the extent that it does now. Maybe that is why there is a certain amount of disappointment with internet dating because the image that we have created in our minds simply doesn't exist.
"By love you mean big lightning bolts to the heart, where you can't eat and you can't work, and you just run off and get married and make babies. The reason you haven't felt is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me...to sell nylons....Don Draper : You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one......Don Draper
Keith
--hide--
To Don Draper: "Bah, humbug!!!" tongue

Jan 19th 2013 new

(Quote) Keith-926558 said: Some of you may recognize the above quote from the t.v. show Mad Men's main character Don Draper. Wh...
(Quote) Keith-926558 said: Some of you may recognize the above quote from the t.v. show Mad Men's main character Don Draper. When I heard that quote I wondered if he was not far from the truth. I think that the internet lends itself to unrealistic expectations. I think about the story this past week of Te'o from Nortre Dame. He claims that he was duped into believing that he had a real girlfriend to find out that it was all a hoax. What I find interesting is that he described this woman in the most endearing terms. Now with that being said, I feel sometimes that the internet has created a totally unrealistic world when it comes to dating because more than once I have chatted with women who seemed perfectly happy just continuing on with electronic communication. I've recently made a friend on CM who states that she realizes that electronic communcation doesn't correlate to in person chemistry. So that goes to the whole idea of "falling in love." Is it just an allusion, is the feeling of falling in love just how God made us so we will bond with one another to continue to mate and popuate the planet or was it created by guys like Don Draper to sell nylons? I heard Dr. James Dobson once say that the whole idea of "falling in love" is a new concept and prior to Shakespeare the idea of finding the perfect mate and physical attraction didn't exist at all to the extent that it does now. Maybe that is why there is a certain amount of disappointment with internet dating because the image that we have created in our minds simply doesn't exist.
Keith
--hide--
I don't have cable TV so I've never seen the show, but the quote makes Don to be a cynic.
Sure, the Internet can let us create a fantasy about someone. We need to meet people in person and spend time with them for a while before we can better trust who it is we are encountering. Some of us who have been divorced can develop unrealistic expectations regarding others, because we want so much to be happy and feel like we've been robbed of that. Others of us who have been divorced can become cynical and think that falling in love again is an illusion that we scoff at, and even when we do find someone we could develop a good relationship with, the fear or doubt helps us screw it up. The "big lightning bolts to the heart" can be the start of something more, but to make it more usually takes work. And the bolts aren't love.

Jan 19th 2013 new

That feeling does exist and yes I think we set up high expectations on or off the internet-the trick is to meet someone with potential and know they have potential before we rush to judgement.The chemical 'click' and the rush is a wonderful expereince,but so is that deeper 'not so exciting' bond- some of us are lucky enough to get both in one connection,but it is not the norm.Personally I'd prefer the 'not so exciting' bond-if that's good the lightning bolts stuff follows......

Jan 19th 2013 new
I agree with you that modern definition of love is rather fictitious and misguided. These days, love is mostly seen in terms of physical intimacy between two people and hardly accommodates emotional and mental bonding/connection. This fact makes me sad (sighs*).
Posts 1 - 7 of 7