Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: You must sign in before expressing interest in this event.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Does anyone know of a website where you can go to fulfill someone's need?

I saw on the news a little boy dying of cancer, and all he wanted was a card from a police officer, and he got a lot more than just that: visits from hundreds of officers, the secret service, all kinds of cool gadgets to play with, etc. His Christmas wish went viral and the outpouring of supprt was amazing.

It made me think: I wonder how many more are out there? So does anybody know of a website/database where I could write to someone, send them something, or just do a little something to make them feel better? I don't have a lot of money right now, but I will be starting a very well-paying job soon, and when I was employed, one of my favorite things to do was to send my friends in need boxes of stuff (food, gas cards, whatever they didn't have), donate, Toys for Tots, hospital care packages, and help out my family when they needed it. I would really like to work my way up to that again, but for now, is there anywhere I can just do a little here and there? Kids, foster families, hospital patients, otherwise disadvantaged? I also loved my job at Disneyland where I helped make "magical moments, and set up experiences for kids and adults to make their Disney dreams come true- it's just who I am!! biggrin biggrin biggrin Thanks in advance.

01/19/2013 new
(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Does anyone know of a website where you can go to fulfill someone's need?I saw on the news a little ...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

I saw on the news a little boy dying of cancer, and all he wanted was a card from a police officer, and he got a lot more than just that: visits from hundreds of officers, the secret service, all kinds of cool gadgets to play with, etc. His Christmas wish went viral and the outpouring of supprt was amazing.

It made me think: I wonder how many more are out there? So does anybody know of a website/database where I could write to someone, send them something, or just do a little something to make them feel better? I don't have a lot of money right now, but I will be starting a very well-paying job soon, and when I was employed, one of my favorite things to do was to send my friends in need boxes of stuff (food, gas cards, whatever they didn't have), donate, Toys for Tots, hospital care packages, and help out my family when they needed it. I would really like to work my way up to that again, but for now, is there anywhere I can just do a little here and there? Kids, foster families, hospital patients, otherwise disadvantaged? I also loved my job at Disneyland where I helped make "magical moments, and set up experiences for kids and adults to make their Disney dreams come true- it's just who I am!! Thanks in advance.

--hide--

I prefer to help the underprivileged through Catholic Charities. Just too many people think they can make more money begging on the streets than through working at a real job.....
01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Does anyone know of a website where you can go to fulfill someone's need?I saw on the ...

It made me think: I wonder how many more are out there? So does anybody know of a website/database where I could write to someone, send them something, or just do a little something to make them feel better? I don't have a lot of money right now, but I will be starting a very well-paying job soon, and when I was employed, one of my favorite things to do was to send my friends in need boxes of stuff (food, gas cards, whatever they didn't have), donate, Toys for Tots, hospital care packages, and help out my family when they needed it. I would really like to work my way up to that again, but for now, is there anywhere I can just do a little here and there? Kids, foster families, hospital patients, otherwise disadvantaged? I also loved my job at Disneyland where I helped make "magical moments, and set up experiences for kids and adults to make their Disney dreams come true- it's just who I am!! Thanks in advance.

--hide--

A Special Wish Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to granting the wishes of young people uo to age 21 who have a life-threatening illness.
spwish.org

01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I prefer to help the underprivileged through Catholic Charities. Just too many people think they...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I prefer to help the underprivileged through Catholic Charities. Just too many people think they can make more money begging on the streets than through working at a real job.....
--hide--

Well, I don't mean so much donating money, or volunteering regularly (I already volunteer somewhere) I just mean a website that lists where I can send a small gift, or a card, or a care package (like I once arranged and donated very nice toiletry packages for hospital patients) small things like that. I'm looking for small personal things, like buying the next person's coffee.

I used to get jaded when, like you implied, my donations went to those I didn't think deserved it; one year my Christmas toy donation at church (a unicorn pillow pet, which was what it said the child wanted) went to my friend's daughter, (they're not religious at all) who gets spoiled with an ipad, leapster, etc, and she already had 2 pillow pets and just wanted a 3rd. So, I was angry about it, but I realized: I give to give and serve. I gave my donation to the church and they did what they wanted with it. I wasn't scammed, I didn't give it to my friend's daughter, I gave it to charity and it was then given again, so I had no right to be upset.

I was also recently approached by a guy during a festival, he didn't look in need or anthing, but asked for $2 to "buy a burger" so I gave him $10, just to shock him! I don't have any animosity in giving. One friend was getting by last year, but just barely, saying she wished she had money for her favorite foods, for gas to go somewhere new, and to splurge at Subway or on a nice candle, so I sent her all those things: $50 in gas, $20 in Subway, $100 in Food Lion, and a very nice candle in her favorite scent among other things she said she couldn't afford. I try not to think about who "deserves" it anymore. She got a better job as soon as my gifts had run out, and she said what I'd done the best thing that happened to her all year :) I just love doing things like that, but don't have any revenue right now, so just looking for something small and simple..

01/19/2013 new
(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Well, I don't mean so much donating money, or volunteering regularly (I...

Well, I don't mean so much donating money, or volunteering regularly (I already volunteer somewhere) I just mean a website that lists where I can send a small gift, or a card, or a care package (like I once arranged and donated very nice toiletry packages for hospital patients) small things like that. I'm looking for small personal things, like buying the next person's coffee.

I used to get jaded when, like you implied, my donations went to those I didn't think deserved it; one year my Christmas toy donation at church (a unicorn pillow pet, which was what it said the child wanted) went to my friend's daughter, (they're not religious at all) who gets spoiled with an ipad, leapster, etc, and she already had 2 pillow pets and just wanted a 3rd. So, I was angry about it, but I realized: I give to give and serve. I gave my donation to the church and they did what they wanted with it. I wasn't scammed, I didn't give it to my friend's daughter, I gave it to charity and it was then given again, so I had no right to be upset.

I was also recently approached by a guy during a festival, he didn't look in need or anthing, but asked for $2 to "buy a burger" so I gave him $10, just to shock him! I don't have any animosity in giving. One friend was getting by last year, but just barely, saying she wished she had money for her favorite foods, for gas to go somewhere new, and to splurge at Subway or on a nice candle, so I sent her all those things: $50 in gas, $20 in Subway, $100 in Food Lion, and a very nice candle in her favorite scent among other things she said she couldn't afford. I try not to think about who "deserves" it anymore. She got a better job as soon as my gifts had run out, and she said what I'd done the best thing that happened to her all year :) I just love doing things like that, but don't have any revenue right now, so just looking for something small and simple..

--hide--
I tend to choose people I know personally for my acts of kindness. There is a co-worker who has been ill and different ones of us has taken her food and cards. I think there are lots of people in need that I meet just in my daily life, I tend to do the acts of kindness in such a way that the person receiving that kindness doesn't always know who sent it.......
01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I tend to choose people I know personally for my acts of kindness. There is a co-worker who has been ill...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I tend to choose people I know personally for my acts of kindness. There is a co-worker who has been ill and different ones of us has taken her food and cards. I think there are lots of people in need that I meet just in my daily life, I tend to do the acts of kindness in such a way that the person receiving that kindness doesn't always know who sent it.......
--hide--

Well that's sort of what I'm looking for- I don't know anybody right now going through anything, or needing anything, I just want to be able to write cards to someone or send something small that they want or need; is there really no online resource for this? Somewhere that somebody writes in and says "my son wants a a snowglobe of DC because he wants to be president" or "my friend lives overseas and can't find her favorite coffee" or "My little sister wants a postcard for her collection" and etc...I'd be really surprised if there weren't a website for this boggled

01/19/2013 new
(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Well that's sort of what I'm looking for- I don't know anybody right now going through anyth...

Well that's sort of what I'm looking for- I don't know anybody right now going through anything, or needing anything, I just want to be able to write cards to someone or send something small that they want or need; is there really no online resource for this? Somewhere that somebody writes in and says "my son wants a a snowglobe of DC because he wants to be president" or "my friend lives overseas and can't find her favorite coffee" or "My little sister wants a postcard for her collection" and etc...I'd be really surprised if there weren't a website for this

--hide--

Check with your parish. Our ladies group has a person who volunteers to send cards of congratulations on anniversaries and birthday cards to our seniors. Also cards for the ill of our parish....perhaps your Priest would know of something. We also organize meals for cancer patients and things like that....
01/19/2013 new

Oh, I like those ideas~

01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Oh, I like those ideas~

Oh, I like those ideas~

--hide--
Mary, I would second what Brenda has suggested. Sometimes just being observant of your surroundings can present opportunities for small acts of kindness. When I have my car serviced, I always walk across the street to a restaurant for breakfast. While there one day, I quietly paid for an elderly Catholic priest's breakfast. When my brother and I visit my mom in her assisted living facility, we bring treats for all the ladies on their floor- just donuts or a cake to share, or sometimes flowers. Doesn't have to cost much. Some folks will "adopt" an elderly resident of a home, some of whom are abandoned by their families. All they really need is a visit, someone to listen to them, and that costs nothing but your time.

God Bless you for your kind heart!

01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Mary, I would second what Brenda has suggested. Sometimes just being observant of your surroundin...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Mary, I would second what Brenda has suggested. Sometimes just being observant of your surroundings can present opportunities for small acts of kindness. When I have my car serviced, I always walk across the street to a restaurant for breakfast. While there one day, I quietly paid for an elderly Catholic priest's breakfast. When my brother and I visit my mom in her assisted living facility, we bring treats for all the ladies on their floor- just donuts or a cake to share, or sometimes flowers. Doesn't have to cost much. Some folks will "adopt" an elderly resident of a home, some of whom are abandoned by their families. All they really need is a visit, someone to listen to them, and that costs nothing but your time.

God Bless you for your kind heart!

--hide--
My apologies Mary, I missed where you said you already do volunteer work.

Posts 1 - 10 of 22