Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Does anyone know of a website where you can go to fulfill someone's need?I saw on the ...
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

Does anyone know of a website where you can go to fulfill someone's need?

I saw on the news a little boy dying of cancer, and all he wanted was a card from a police officer, and he got a lot more than just that: visits from hundreds of officers, the secret service, all kinds of cool gadgets to play with, etc. His Christmas wish went viral and the outpouring of supprt was amazing.

It made me think: I wonder how many more are out there? So does anybody know of a website/database where I could write to someone, send them something, or just do a little something to make them feel better? I don't have a lot of money right now, but I will be starting a very well-paying job soon, and when I was employed, one of my favorite things to do was to send my friends in need boxes of stuff (food, gas cards, whatever they didn't have), donate, Toys for Tots, hospital care packages, and help out my family when they needed it. I would really like to work my way up to that again, but for now, is there anywhere I can just do a little here and there? Kids, foster families, hospital patients, otherwise disadvantaged? I also loved my job at Disneyland where I helped make "magical moments, and set up experiences for kids and adults to make their Disney dreams come true- it's just who I am!! Thanks in advance.

--hide--

I just gave a bunch of unopened bath products to a small shelter for battered women and children. They were very happy. I told my roommate about it and she also put some stuff together for a donations...soaps, shampoos etc. Salvation Army won't take these kinds of donations but a shelter will. Most of my donations go to Children Inc. I support a child in the Appalachian mountains. I also give to Cup of Joe for a Joe...which will give a cup of coffee to a service man or women overseas. They will sometime e-mail a Thank You from Afghanistan and Iraq. That feels nice. I try very hard to save money to give to charities that friends are doing, 10k runs etc. Donations don't need to be big to be appreciated.

01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: My apologies Mary, I missed where you said you already do volunteer work.
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

My apologies Mary, I missed where you said you already do volunteer work.

--hide--

No prob, and actually I like your ideas, I would love to work with the elderly- in my past experience though, they are somewhat resentful of it, but maybe that as just the one place...

01/19/2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: I just gave a bunch of unopened bath products to a small shelter for battered women ...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

I just gave a bunch of unopened bath products to a small shelter for battered women and children. They were very happy. I told my roommate about it and she also put some stuff together for a donations...soaps, shampoos etc. Salvation Army won't take these kinds of donations but a shelter will. Most of my donations go to Children Inc. I support a child in the Appalachian mountains. I also give to Cup of Joe for a Joe...which will give a cup of coffee to a service man or women overseas. They will sometime e-mail a Thank You from Afghanistan and Iraq. That feels nice. I try very hard to save money to give to charities that friends are doing, 10k runs etc. Donations don't need to be big to be appreciated.

--hide--

I like the Cup of Joe idea, and the battered womens/children shelter. Though I actually applied for work at the local homeless shelter and they said they had enough employees and volunteers, and they manage the battered women's shelter (actually, I live in a bad neighborhood, and the shelter is in it, so I do get involved with them form time to time through my work with the neighborhood association) but maybe I will ask the lady who runs the place directly, instead of going through the homeless shelter association I went to...thanks!

01/20/2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I tend to choose people I know personally for my acts of kindness. There is a co-worker who has been ill...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I tend to choose people I know personally for my acts of kindness. There is a co-worker who has been ill and different ones of us has taken her food and cards. I think there are lots of people in need that I meet just in my daily life, I tend to do the acts of kindness in such a way that the person receiving that kindness doesn't always know who sent it.......
--hide--

As always, Brenda, you are so kind. I have been the recipient of a person's kindness in just that fashion. I was sent a gift card
from Walmart in a plain envelope with my name as both addressee and return address and the note paper just saying "God Bless
You" and signed anonymous. It was so unexpected and brought tears to my eyes that someone thought I deserved such a gift.

Sometimes, it is just a person acknowledging you that is very precious.

Thanks for being you.

Eileen

01/20/2013 new
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: As always, Brenda, you are so kind. I have been the recipient of a person's kindness in just that...
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

As always, Brenda, you are so kind. I have been the recipient of a person's kindness in just that fashion. I was sent a gift card
from Walmart in a plain envelope with my name as both addressee and return address and the note paper just saying "God Bless
You" and signed anonymous. It was so unexpected and brought tears to my eyes that someone thought I deserved such a gift.

Sometimes, it is just a person acknowledging you that is very precious.

Thanks for being you.

Eileen

--hide--

Ah such a thoughtful act of kindness!
01/30/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-583970 said: Does anyone know of a website where you can go to fulfill someone's need?
(Quote) Mary-583970 said:

Does anyone know of a website where you can go to fulfill someone's need?

--hide--

Have you checked to see if your parish has a food pantry ? They can always use small donations of food. I check before the holidays the weekend before they are putting food baskets together to see if they are missing something that they want to include and then go out and get whatever that is needed. I feel the people that are helped by the church are really needy and iI am not giving money to an organization that 50% or more benefits the administrators. Another good one is St Vincent De Paul Services. Our parish doesn't ask if you are a member of the parish or even Catholic. You just have to be truely in need.

Steve wave

01/30/2013 new
When I'm eating out, I keep my eyes open for police or fire fighters. I will then get the waitress to bring me their checks and pay for their meals asking the waitress not to tell who did it. These men and woman have a thankless job and are underpaid. My little way of saying thanks.
01/30/2013 new

Do you like to cook? Our parish has two ministries that bring meals to people - one for new moms and one for people going through a crisis. Perhaps your parish has something like that?

I also work part-time at a maternity home and we send out an e-mail newsletter every week with an update on the residents, their babies, and also include a list of items currently needed/requested by our residents (for example, this week was African-American hair products, dish soap, fresh meats, gas cards, and kleenex). I was at the house once when a lady dropped by, said she got the newsletter and picked stuff up while she was shopping for her own family and got everything on the list! It was much appreciated! Perhaps there are homes like that in your area, as well (unless you want to send us gas cards! wink ).

I also agree with looking into nursing homes. The one my grandma is at has a salon and she occasionally gets her hair or nails done. My mom's friend paid for her to have a special day in the spa before her birthday this month and grandma just loved being pampered. There might be something like that near you as well, or you could talk to one of the staff members at a home about finding a resident who just needs a 'secret santa' or special person to send them something.

I really like the idea of a website that collects all these types of wishes. I usually don't hear about them until they are on the news, or spreading like wildfire on Facebook. I'm sure there are more out there than just the ones that get lots of news coverage!

02/01/2013 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: When I'm eating out, I keep my eyes open for police or fire fighters. I will then get the waitress to ...
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: When I'm eating out, I keep my eyes open for police or fire fighters. I will then get the waitress to bring me their checks and pay for their meals asking the waitress not to tell who did it. These men and woman have a thankless job and are underpaid. My little way of saying thanks.
--hide--

That is really kind of you Tim to do that for them. I am sure that they are grateful for your act of kindness.

Posts 11 - 20 of 22