Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

People We Think Are Saints

Jan 19th 2013 new

Hopefully we've all encountered special people in our lives who have helped us along the way, by their actions, by their prayer, by their example, or in some other way, to want to become better people ourselves. We have the examples of holiness in Church history, the example of Our Lady and St. Joseph, and of course Our Lord and Savior Jesus, and we can have their presence in our daily lives. We have the apostles, the many great canonized saints, the beatified blessed, and the venerable whose cause for canonization has been started. But who are the saints who may never be canonized, the ordinary people who made an extraordinary impact in your life and the lives of those they touched?

The question here is: Who is/are the person(s) in your life who you consider a saint? (Of course we don't presume them to be saints, so we pray for them.)

The loss of such a person can be very difficult. But we can turn to the words of St. Paul for comfort: "What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him" 1 Corinthians 2: 9

It can be a "living" saint, or someone who has passed. Is it a parent or both parents, a grandparent, a child, a friend, an aunt or uncle, a member of the clergy, or a holy person you've encountered along the way? If you feel so inclined to share their story, please do.

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Hopefully we've all encountered special people in our lives who have helped us along the way, ...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

Hopefully we've all encountered special people in our lives who have helped us along the way, by their actions, by their prayer, by their example, or in some other way, to want to become better people ourselves. We have the examples of holiness in Church history, the example of Our Lady and St. Joseph, and of course Our Lord and Savior Jesus, and we can have their presence in our daily lives. We have the apostles, the many great canonized saints, the beatified blessed, and the venerable whose cause for canonization has been started. But who are the saints who may never be canonized, the ordinary people who made an extraordinary impact in your life and the lives of those they touched?

The question here is: Who is/are the person(s) in your life who you consider a saint? (Of course we don't presume them to be saints, so we pray for them.)

The loss of such a person can be very difficult. But we can turn to the words of St. Paul for comfort: "What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him" 1 Corinthians 2: 9

It can be a "living" saint, or someone who has passed. Is it a parent or both parents, a grandparent, a child, a friend, an aunt or uncle, a member of the clergy, or a holy person you've encountered along the way? If you feel so inclined to share their story, please do.

--hide--

Ah John, your post nearly makes me cry. I'll say my sister, Patty and my Mom - okay now I am crying. Probably doesn't help I came from the widowers room too. I think you are a saint John.

Time for some sleep. Goodnight. hug

Jan 20th 2013 new
Wow thanks Andrea, but that's inaccurate about me! Thank you though for the wonderful compliment and the great post. More saints to follow in this thread I hope!
Jan 20th 2013 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: Wow thanks Andrea, but that's inaccurate about me! Thank you though for the wonderful compliment and the great...
(Quote) John-746882 said: Wow thanks Andrea, but that's inaccurate about me! Thank you though for the wonderful compliment and the great post. More saints to follow in this thread I hope!
--hide--

I think my former pastor, Father John R., is a saint. He always worked so hard for the Church, was a loving and dutiful priest and was one of the happiest, strongest and kindness people I have ever met. He truly sacrificed and did whatever it took with the joy of God. His kindness and example to me as a child at his parish and school had a profound impact on my life.

I would also to add the wonderful nun that taught me third grade..Sister Mary R., also taught my dad in kindergarten, years before. Also a loving and joyful servant of God, I believe she is a saint. She too affected so many children's lives.

I too, strongly sense there are saints on CM, John!

Thank you, John, for this post! smile
Jan 20th 2013 new

I've heard it said many mothers have a high place in Heaven. I believe it Andrea. It sounds like your Mom and sister were/are special people.

Meg, I also had positive early life influences by priests and sisters, attending Catholic school in grades one through four. Those two you mentioned sound like great examples and teachers, and really workers.

Thanks!!

Jan 20th 2013 new

Who do I think is a saint? I've been posting for a long time and have often mentioned the holiness of my Mom, which manifested itself in many ways, consistently through joy and gratitude. But tonight I think I'll share about my Dad. Twenty four years ago tomorrow he passed.

My Dad suffered, and I believe his suffering was redemptive for his children. He was an active young man, married Mom right after a tour of duty in the Army in Europe. He was a high school English teacher in the inner city in tough times in the city. But he loved to teach. He also loved to coach. Coached basketball, golf, baseball. The outdoors was his arena. He worked harder than any man I knew to provide for his family, Mom and eight of us, taking on extra jobs to make ends meet: house painting, newpaper delivery, janitor--a list of jobs as long as my arm.

He was raised to be Catholic by his mom and dad, two faith-filled people. Somewhere along the way he made his faith his own. He was involved in the Church in so many ways. In the 70's and 80's he became involved in the Cursillo and Charismatic movements in the Catholic Church. Mom and him would go out to Cursillo meetings once a week it seemed. Somewhere in that time, behavior changes began, including forgetfulness which was thought to be "teacher burnout". In the mid-80's it was finally diagnosed as early-onset Alzheimers.

In all this time he experienced weakness and failures, humiliations for a man who'd once been whole. Loss of judgment, loss of knowledge, all due to the disease. Yet he continued to try throughout to be a better, holier man. And that's what was said of him by his brother, a priest, at his funeral: "Here was a man who tried." That said so much. I believe he is in Heaven. A great Dad.

Jan 21st 2013 new
My Grandmother for whom I was named and who at age 71, joined the Catholic Faith, is also my goddaughter. She was very much of a mother to me and when I needed cheerfulness, affirmation and encouragement, she was always there.

She had a rough life but bravely dealt with it in spite of extreme anxiety; she showed great courage. She always did her duty, ended up having to raise my mother by herself and work full time in what was a man's world. Starting out as a secretary, 25 years later she was the company's only female branch manager in the country. She had to become tough and yet she retained her femininity and class; she was always a lady.

In spite of her busy schedule, she would cook and bake for us, every night, come home on her lunch hour to drive us to the swimming pool or other summer activities and always was mending, sewing new items or doing needlework. "Never an idle moment" she would say. She taught me a love of books, gardening and yard work and laughter. She laughed about almost everything and never met a stranger. How I miss her.

I know her heart ached. Back then there was quite a social stigma associated with divorce. She was lonely for a spouse but she did not become negative or bitter.

From age 71 to 91, she attended Daily Mass, did her First Fridays and Saturdays, was active in the Legion of Mary, prayed the daily rosary, wore the Scapular and continued to learn about her new Faith.

She later said, God was going to get her, one way or another. In high school, a Catholic farm boy used to walk her home and eventually wanted to marry her. Grandma's dad refused his blessing for marrying a Catholic. Grandmother obeyed him. Life after that didn't go so well but...as she said, in the end, the Faith found her! God pursues us, gently but relentlessly.

She died after a long period of illness and suffering. She had Last Rites and had just finished her daily Rosary with my mother when she passed. I believe she is there in Heaven and I love to talk to her asking her for more prayers for myself and the family. My first two sons died of SIDS. They were baptized and I know, of course, they are in Heaven. I picture Grandmother getting such a kick out of them, telling them nursery rhymes and singing them silly songs. I love that picture.

As a child she gave me a beautiful Rosary, blessed by Pope Pius XII. I also have the last Rosary she ever held. These are so special and I am grateful to have her name and to be her granddaughter. She added so much to our lives; she gave so much to so many and her loving heart is, to this day, an inspiration for me.

May her soul rest in peace. JMJ
Jan 21st 2013 new

Funny you should mention the good Sisters, Meg.

I pretty much pray to Sister Mary DiAngeles (grade school principal) and Sister Mary Eugene (High School principal) every time I think of them and nearly every day. Of course they are in heaven or a guy like me is doomed.

Also my mom's lady friends who played such a large role in my early life. My theology was largely formed by them. Look to Jesus. Be kind. Be nice to the girls. These are good things.

Kinda, LOL, makes a guy wish he'd listened a little more! But I was too busy trying to avoid chores -- which for little boys is surely doing the Lord's Work too.

:')

NC Jim

Jan 21st 2013 new

My grandmother died with a rosary in her hands

Jan 21st 2013 new

What is his name?

Jim

Posts 1 - 10 of 53