Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

01/21/2013 new
I had a Great. aunt who was a Nun who made calligraphy cards to raise money as part of her vocation. She was a cloistered Nun and her first visit to see family was in the late 70's, she would have been in her sixty's at that time. Being around her made you want to sit and soak up her stories, her voice was gentle and kind, and her eyes shone with the reflection of Love for God and others.....I miss Sister Mary Agnes....may she rest in peace.....
01/21/2013 new

Meg,

The story of your Grandmother, who is your Goddaughter--which by the way I didn't grasp when you'd mentioned this in an earlier post in one of the threads; I assumed you were her Goddaughter--and of your thought of her and your first two sons, leaves me without words.

I showed it to my girlfriend and she had the same reaction.

I am grateful to have crossed paths with you on CM.

John

01/21/2013 new

Hey NC Jim,

Your post reminds me of when I was in first grade, Notre Dame Catholic school in NJ where I grew up. The Sisters of St. Joseph there appointed me the pretzel boy. I was responsible for delivering the hot pretzels to the seventh and eighth grade kids on the basement level of the school. I was to collect one dime for each pretzel. Well one day, I was particularly hungry. I proceeded with the pretzels down the hall and into the stairwell, where I was out of sight of everyone. Well wouldn't you know it an eighth grader bursts into the stairwell as I'm biting into one of those salty pretzels. I almost choked on the thing. He told me not to worry about it. I guess the Sisters didn't have a strong accounting of the pretzels and the dimes collected, because I was certainly short one dime that day. Isn't it funny how I still remember that to this day.

John

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Fred-828727 said: My grandmother died with a rosary in her hands
(Quote) Fred-828727 said:

My grandmother died with a rosary in her hands

--hide--

When I go Fred, I want them with me as well. The Hail Mary - 'now and at the hour of our death. Amen' - what could be a better prayer at that time? Thanks for sharing that about your grandmother.

01/21/2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I had a Great. aunt who was a Nun who made calligraphy cards to raise money as part of her vocation. She...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I had a Great. aunt who was a Nun who made calligraphy cards to raise money as part of her vocation. She was a cloistered Nun and her first visit to see family was in the late 70's, she would have been in her sixty's at that time. Being around her made you want to sit and soak up her stories, her voice was gentle and kind, and her eyes shone with the reflection of Love for God and others.....I miss Sister Mary Agnes....may she rest in peace.....
--hide--

Hi Brenda, Isn't it funny how you connected with her so well after all that time in the cloister. Reminds me of the Little Flower and how she impacted the far reaches of the world from her cloister. Thanks for that Brenda.

01/21/2013 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: Meg,The story of your Grandmother, who is your Goddaughter--which by the way I didn't grasp when you...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

Meg,

The story of your Grandmother, who is your Goddaughter--which by the way I didn't grasp when you'd mentioned this in an earlier post in one of the threads; I assumed you were her Goddaughter--and of your thought of her and your first two sons, leaves me without words.

I showed it to my girlfriend and she had the same reaction.

I am grateful to have crossed paths with you on CM.

John

--hide--

Thank you, John. theheart
01/22/2013 new
I don't want to corner this thread but I have another:

My pastor and spiritual director is such a great example of Christ's love, He is strong and immovable in the Truths of Our Faith and yet he is one of the kindest, gentlest, and approachable men I have met. He truly has impacted my picture of Catholic manhood. His practice of the virtues is difficult to describe. The strong with the gentle is how I believe Christ on earth was,but I never could really picture it. Father opened that door for me. His guidance through very rough times was Christ's. I know that. Father gives his life for the Church and does it with such warmth, strength and dignity. He is especially loved by the teens in our Parish. He continues to affect many, many lives. He is humble and realistic about the human condition as he continues to point to God and His Divine Mercy.

I will forever thank Our Lord for providing this blessing in my life and I often tear up,when I think of the spiritual direction and wisdom he has gives
01/22/2013 new

John, I'm thinking you should have titled this thread People We Think Are Saints (Other Than Your Mom)

Having said that, well....my mom... wink

01/22/2013 new

My friend Daviette who is dying of cancer. She is always concerned about the needs of others instead of herself. Her example makes me get teary eyed!

01/22/2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Hey NC Jim,Your post reminds me of when I was in first grade, Notre Dame Catholic school i...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

Hey NC Jim,

Your post reminds me of when I was in first grade, Notre Dame Catholic school in NJ where I grew up. The Sisters of St. Joseph there appointed me the pretzel boy. I was responsible for delivering the hot pretzels to the seventh and eighth grade kids on the basement level of the school. I was to collect one dime for each pretzel. Well one day, I was particularly hungry. I proceeded with the pretzels down the hall and into the stairwell, where I was out of sight of everyone. Well wouldn't you know it an eighth grader bursts into the stairwell as I'm biting into one of those salty pretzels. I almost choked on the thing. He told me not to worry about it. I guess the Sisters didn't have a strong accounting of the pretzels and the dimes collected, because I was certainly short one dime that day. Isn't it funny how I still remember that to this day.

John

--hide--

My God man! A pretzel thief! And we all know the recidicism rate for the pretzel-addicted -- 100%! I appreciate your honesty but this is not the kind of thing you tell a girl on the first date.

It's a gateway savory. Though your story is affecting ... we cannot have you going through life doing things in exchange for affectual savors!

I have so many stories of the good Sisters being patient with little boys. That business with the smoke bomb over the convent wall ... well, we all know the problems that come to a fellow when he falls in with evil companions. Especially slow runners who crack under pressure and reveal their accompli -- innocent companions.

To this day when I see one of my boys smiling I think, "Ha -- there's a fellow who got a way Scot free. That's good -- the police won't be calling me."

Anybody else have grade school stories to share? They needn't be as grim as John's. Terrible stuff.

:')

NC Jim

Posts 11 - 20 of 53