Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 23rd 2013 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: I can relate John. Moms take the cake in the saints category in my book.
(Quote) John-746882 said:

I can relate John. Moms take the cake in the saints category in my book.

--hide--

John, I think of the great dads too, suddenly single and not wanting that, trying to remain in their children's lives in some 'normal' way and I think they are living a dry martyrdom. I know several whose wives met someone else and left them, they see their children only a few weekends a month and yet, they go on. They do not become bitter, they stay present to their children in spite of the worries and sadness. They set aside their own time for rest and friends, and devote it to their children. What selflessness, love, bravery and perseverance.

Yes, single parents of both genders, still raising children the best they can, are inspiring.
Jan 23rd 2013 new

John,

Your's is one of those Bad-Boy-Saved-by-the-Love-of-a-Good-Woman stories, clearly. The right girl can see past that rough exterior -- the rebel, the outlaw, the pretzel eating lone wolf.

:')

NC Jim

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: John, But before you and NC Jim judge me, let me explain. I was a skinny kid and one of six a...

John,
But before you and NC Jim judge me, let me explain. I was a skinny kid and one of six at the time, later to be eight of us, and I was really hungry that day. Perhaps I hadn't been fed a proper breakfast. The details are fuzzy right now.

Who am I kiddin? I'm no good.

I feel a little like Jean Valjean. 40 years later I'm running from swiping a pretzel.

John

--hide--

John is spot on in regards to these spiritual matters and we should all jump on this and save NJ John from terrible punishments in the hereafter. We all know that "The road to hell is paved with salty snacks."

I find amazing parallels with the Lance Armstrong outing, don't you? Lance on Oprah and John here at CM. "Was he doping?" and "Was he pretzelling?" There are differences though. Questions remain as to who supplied Lance while here we shockingly learn that it was the Sisters of Saint Joseph!

These things bring unanswered questions in widening ripples. For example, "Was there a second swiper?"

I choose to see the redemptive side of this and not the sordid side. Perhaps I'm too soft when it comes to the "I was a skinny little kid" defense. (Hey, when I think on it. When I was that age there were six of us and eventually eight.) If this goes to trial you definitely want me on the jury even with my normal response of "if he's here he must be guilty -- I want to go have a pretzel now".

John, I do not judge you -- except to say that you are guilty as hell -- and I have every confidence (None at all, really) that you can rise (somewhat like the leavening in the pretzel making process) above that chapter in your life.

Let not our lives be knotted like the conventional pretzel. Let us be straight -- like the pretzel stick.

NC Jim

Jan 23rd 2013 new

Mom's are indeed amazing. Looking back I can see that pretty much the whole of my spirituality was formed by my mom.

My complaint to my mom is that as she keeps praying that I get to heaven -- I keep getting the requisite crosses and chastisements and such that are needed for that! I keep asking her to pray that I get to heaven eventually so things will ease up! Or that she pray for the other fourteen kids. (Yea, with her saintly husband, after my dad passed, they have 12 sons and 3 daughters. And, yes, I'm the nicest one!)

Moms often have a kind of Theology of the Mop that is as practical as it is loving. I need to start listening to mine. Eventually.

NC Jim

Jan 23rd 2013 new

Wow. You made a lot of guys here feel better with that one. Thanks Meg. Guys in the life you describe can pretty much feel as invisible as they do absent.

:(

Jim

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Meg, Please post as much as you can think of! You're not cornering it and I love t...

Meg, Please post as much as you can think of! You're not cornering it and I love the stories of these people who try. I'd love to see this thread fill up. Your pastor pointing to the Divine Mercy-- I think it's no coincidence Divine Mercy devotion and recognition was elevated in these days with all we face. Any man or woman who seeks or recommends it is a wise person in my book. Another great example Meg. Keep 'em coming! Thank you.

--hide--

Go Meg!

Yes, the Divine Mercy devotion is too powerful to properly appreciate. I know it is a cornerstone of my Catholic practice and I am so grateful to whoever it was that introduced me to it. I say the "Eternal Father, I offer thee the ..." prayer first thing every morning and doing so will probably get me into heaven. That and my mom's prayers! (When I get there I'm going to ask them if I can bring Meg her coffee as she is so nice. There will be this big line of guys lined up to bring her things and I'm going to smirk at them as I cut to the head of the line. Regrettable but what's to be done?)

No coincidence that Divine Mercy Sunday follows Easter -- and I'm often thinking that the feast of Corpus Christi follows next. Lots and lots to think about.

NC Jim

Jan 23rd 2013 new

Wow. Oh my, wow.

Jim

Jan 23rd 2013 new

Ray,

Good post. I really feel that every man, and most certainly every Catholic man, should be alert to every opportunity to leap to the aid of single moms. Be at their disposal. Build them up in every way. This is coming to the aid of one of God's daughters. Is there something better that we should be doing?

There is a verse in Isaiah I often use as a prayer for the "singles" who have children. More of an affirmation to Jesus really, "Repairer of the breech they shall call you, restorer of ruined homesteads."

Of course meanwhile God is looking after His daughters. Let's pitch in.

NC Jim

Jan 23rd 2013 new
My patron saint is my Grandmother. She was to me, the perfect example of what a Catholic lady should be. She was my guardian angel on earth, now in heaven watching over me, and many others.

She was not a strong woman physically or mentally, but somehow she had the right approach to her faith, a very simple approach, which she taught to me, and others as well. She did so by example, and rarely cast judgement on anyone. She was the proverbial "warm lap," to people and animals too.

She never learned how to adequately drive a car. Usually a family member would drive her to the grocery store, but she often walked to do other shopping too. One day I rode my bicyle to her house to visit her when I was a kid, which I did rarely (by bicyle. She was walking home with a cart of some grocery, and she had someone with her. As I got closer to them, I noticed that the girl with my grandmother was one who was older than myself, but attended the same schools, so I recognized her. That girl was often unmercifully ridiculed and taunted by others inside and outside of school. At that time there were no rules whatsoever about bullying other students.

My grandmother introduced her to me as, "this is my new friend, XXXX." She also added that her new friend was walking with her,helping her take her grocery home by cart. It was about 1.5 miles to her home from the grocery store. Initially, I was actually a little bit "j," that some other girl was with my grandmother, and that my grandmother liked her. But on second approach, my thinking changed drastically from that day forward.

I thought that anyone who goes out of their way, in an extreme way such as that, is good with me as well...and that someone like that...does not deserve to ever be taunted by anyone. My grandmother was completely blinded to any of the things that the kids of the neighborhood saw in differences about that "usually taunted girl."

The "usually taunted girl" stayed and helped my grandmother and I put the grocery away at my grandmother's house, and then she left. After that whenever I saw her on the street, I would greet her as I would anyone else that I was acquainted with. Usually she would kind of take a step back, as if preparing herself for yet another verbal assault.

That was an example of the kind of person my grandmother was. She always saw the "good" in people first.
Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: Ray, Good post. I really feel that every man, and most certainly every Catholic man, should ...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

Ray,

Good post. I really feel that every man, and most certainly every Catholic man, should be alert to every opportunity to leap to the aid of single moms. Be at their disposal. Build them up in every way. This is coming to the aid of one of God's daughters. Is there something better that we should be doing?

There is a verse in Isaiah I often use as a prayer for the "singles" who have children. More of an affirmation to Jesus really, "Repairer of the breech they shall call you, restorer of ruined homesteads."

Of course meanwhile God is looking after His daughters. Let's pitch in.

NC Jim

--hide--
What a coincidence you should use a quote from Isaiah regarding "Repairer of the Breach". It's the name selected for a shelter for homeless adults in Milwaukee. The name was selected because of that entire passage.

Excuse the interuption of the thread, but the quote really struck me.

Posts 31 - 40 of 53