Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: What a coincidence you should use a quote from Isaiah regarding "Repairer of the Breach"....
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

What a coincidence you should use a quote from Isaiah regarding "Repairer of the Breach". It's the name selected for a shelter for homeless adults in Milwaukee. The name was selected because of that entire passage.

Excuse the interuption of the thread, but the quote really struck me.

--hide--

I read that entire section often. Isaiah is astounding.

Jan 23rd 2013 new

I too agree with you about the single dads Meg. I know of one great guy who suffered through much, and he is an awesome example for his kids.

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: John is spot on in regards to these spiritual matters and we should all jump on this and save NJ Jo...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

John is spot on in regards to these spiritual matters and we should all jump on this and save NJ John from terrible punishments in the hereafter. We all know that "The road to hell is paved with salty snacks."

I find amazing parallels with the Lance Armstrong outing, don't you? Lance on Oprah and John here at CM. "Was he doping?" and "Was he pretzelling?" There are differences though. Questions remain as to who supplied Lance while here we shockingly learn that it was the Sisters of Saint Joseph!

These things bring unanswered questions in widening ripples. For example, "Was there a second swiper?"

I choose to see the redemptive side of this and not the sordid side. Perhaps I'm too soft when it comes to the "I was a skinny little kid" defense. (Hey, when I think on it. When I was that age there were six of us and eventually eight.) If this goes to trial you definitely want me on the jury even with my normal response of "if he's here he must be guilty -- I want to go have a pretzel now".

John, I do not judge you -- except to say that you are guilty as hell -- and I have every confidence (None at all, really) that you can rise (somewhat like the leavening in the pretzel making process) above that chapter in your life.

Let not our lives be knotted like the conventional pretzel. Let us be straight -- like the pretzel stick.

:')

NC Jim

--hide--

NC Jim,

I actually prefer the conventional pretzel. The pretzel stick is too rigid, unbending, and in the end, brittle. The conventional pretzel is more substantial, and while you may see it as "knotted", I prefer to see it as woven, homespun. And it tastes better.

John

Jan 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: My patron saint is my Grandmother. She was to me, the perfect example of what a Catholic lady shoul...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: My patron saint is my Grandmother. She was to me, the perfect example of what a Catholic lady should be. She was my guardian angel on earth, now in heaven watching over me, and many others.

She was not a strong woman physically or mentally, but somehow she had the right approach to her faith, a very simple approach, which she taught to me, and others as well. She did so by example, and rarely cast judgement on anyone. She was the proverbial "warm lap," to people and animals too.

She never learned how to adequately drive a car. Usually a family member would drive her to the grocery store, but she often walked to do other shopping too. One day I rode my bicyle to her house to visit her when I was a kid, which I did rarely (by bicyle. She was walking home with a cart of some grocery, and she had someone with her. As I got closer to them, I noticed that the girl with my grandmother was one who was older than myself, but attended the same schools, so I recognized her. That girl was often unmercifully ridiculed and taunted by others inside and outside of school. At that time there were no rules whatsoever about bullying other students.

My grandmother introduced her to me as, "this is my new friend, XXXX." She also added that her new friend was walking with her,helping her take her grocery home by cart. It was about 1.5 miles to her home from the grocery store. Initially, I was actually a little bit "j," that some other girl was with my grandmother, and that my grandmother liked her. But on second approach, my thinking changed drastically from that day forward.

I thought that anyone who goes out of their way, in an extreme way such as that, is good with me as well...and that someone like that...does not deserve to ever be taunted by anyone. My grandmother was completely blinded to any of the things that the kids of the neighborhood saw in differences about that "usually taunted girl."

The "usually taunted girl" stayed and helped my grandmother and I put the grocery away at my grandmother's house, and then she left. After that whenever I saw her on the street, I would greet her as I would anyone else that I was acquainted with. Usually she would kind of take a step back, as if preparing herself for yet another verbal assault.

That was an example of the kind of person my grandmother was. She always saw the "good" in people first.
--hide--

I love this. Right now all I want to do is pray for that little usually taunted girl, whereever she is now. May Jesus touch her heart, that she will not be afraid anymore. Your grandmother is truly a saint. Thank you Jacqueline.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: NC Jim,I actually prefer the conventional pretzel. The pretzel stick is too ri...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

NC Jim,

I actually prefer the conventional pretzel. The pretzel stick is too rigid, unbending, and in the end, brittle. The conventional pretzel is more substantial, and while you may see it as "knotted", I prefer to see it as woven, homespun. And it tastes better.

John

--hide--

I shall reflect upon this my friend. There is wisdom in your words.

:')

NC Jim

Jan 24th 2013 new
(Quote) Make good on it now, John! Mail a check for 10 cents to Notre Dame Catholic School and never look back!
(Quote) Make good on it now, John! Mail a check for 10 cents to Notre Dame Catholic School and never look back!
--hide--
John, I just sat down and figured it out. My debt of one dime compounding interest since 1972 has grown to a total of $857,245.98. That's an expensive pretzel!
Jan 27th 2013 new

I started on CM in July 2011 and didn't post much in the fora at first, but once I started posting I often found myself citing the joy, wisdom, gratitude, and the example of my Mom. Her name was Colette.

She was a stay at home mom, stay at home meaning truly stay at home, as my Dad would take our only car to work. They were Catholic. They accepted and welcomed life, and with it all the challenges, work and blessings that came with being open to life. As kids, we took for granted all they did. We assumed they must have liked to do all that work for us. Mom did it all: nurse, cook, laundry, dishwasher (we didn't have one, mom was the dishwasher), house cleaner, you name it. Mom and Dad had eight kids, thirteen including the miscarried children, who Mom included. When the youngest was at school age, Mom convinced Dad to let her get a job. It took some convincing, but Dad gave into the idea. It wouldn't be long before Dad was diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's, which would lead to his death in at age fifty seven.

Somehow, God gave her the strength to get through the trials and sorrows, and there were many. She supported the family with the help of God, and other people. She held the family together. It was the Catholic Church that sustained her. She went to a bereavement ministry to help her get through the loss of her spouse. Later she would serve others in that ministry. She attended Cursillo at the behest of my Dad while he was living. Later, after he died, she would lead a Cursillo weekend, and make lifelong friends in that arena. Her home would be a place for her prayer groups.

She looked to Our Lady all the time for her help, and always found it. She trusted in Jesus and in His Divine Mercy. Her prayers changed the lives of her children, gaining us protection from our own mistakes, and returning us to the Church.

Her life was an example of joy. She found reasons to be joyful. It was true joy.

She allowed the Holy Spirit to lead her.

I'm not sure when, but somewhere along the line, we began to realize we were in the presence of a saint. We would turn to each other and say, "She's a saint." It was said in complete seriousness. She had become the best example for us of what a saint truly is. Giving, joyful, holy, truthful. Those good words describe her accurately.

To me and others she was a best friend. She was fun to be with. Laughter was there in her home. Her grandchildren loved her.

As she began to suffer the effects of Scleroderma, she showed us how to suffer, something she'd learned from her own mother, "offer it up". Her children learned to love more through her suffering.

She didn't want to be called a saint, because she was as ordinary as you and I. But she is a saint, because she put her trust in Our Lord and Our Lady, over and over and over again, through everything. She was not a perfectionist, not at all judgmental. She simply relied on her Catholic faith, the Eucharist and the sacraments, the rosary, and the Divine Mercy.

She had a simple faith, yet she had insights that taught us to see things better than we would have otherwise. She told us that Our Lady would be a far better Mother to us than she had been. Knowing what a great mother Mom had been, this is an extraordinary and true promise.

The day she passed away, two of my sisters were at her bedside. They were praying the Divine Mercy. After the Divine Mercy chaplet they prayed the rosary. During the rosary there was some interruption in the room as the nurses had to do something, but during the interruption, Mom, who was aware, put her hands together as if to tell them (and her other children too), to continue praying. They resumed praying. She passed away during the fifth glorious mystery, the Coronation of Our Lady. Someone later said Our Lady took her to Heaven.

Days before she died, she was telling me about how she wanted to go to Heaven. I assured her she would. She said if she got there she wouldn't be happy until she helped her kids get there. So she said to me, "You get there too!"

Now all of us kids say we have to get there because we have to see her again. : )

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread. It has meant a lot to me. Tomorrow is my last day on CM, and I hope this thread is filled with more and more stories of ordinary and extraordinary people blessed by God. I'm going to post a goodbye in the prayer forum, which for me is a special place in these fora. God bless.

John

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Who do I think is a saint? I've been posting for a long time and have often mentioned the holi...
(Quote) John-746882 said:

Who do I think is a saint? I've been posting for a long time and have often mentioned the holiness of my Mom, which manifested itself in many ways, consistently through joy and gratitude. But tonight I think I'll share about my Dad. Twenty four years ago tomorrow he passed.

My Dad suffered, and I believe his suffering was redemptive for his children. He was an active young man, married Mom right after a tour of duty in the Army in Europe. He was a high school English teacher in the inner city in tough times in the city. But he loved to teach. He also loved to coach. Coached basketball, golf, baseball. The outdoors was his arena. He worked harder than any man I knew to provide for his family, Mom and eight of us, taking on extra jobs to make ends meet: house painting, newpaper delivery, janitor--a list of jobs as long as my arm.

He was raised to be Catholic by his mom and dad, two faith-filled people. Somewhere along the way he made his faith his own. He was involved in the Church in so many ways. In the 70's and 80's he became involved in the Cursillo and Charismatic movements in the Catholic Church. Mom and him would go out to Cursillo meetings once a week it seemed. Somewhere in that time, behavior changes began, including forgetfulness which was thought to be "teacher burnout". In the mid-80's it was finally diagnosed as early-onset Alzheimers.

In all this time he experienced weakness and failures, humiliations for a man who'd once been whole. Loss of judgment, loss of knowledge, all due to the disease. Yet he continued to try throughout to be a better, holier man. And that's what was said of him by his brother, a priest, at his funeral: "Here was a man who tried." That said so much. I believe he is in Heaven. A great Dad.

--hide--

wow John--brought a few tears to my eyes.

I think of saints as being flawed like the rest of us--but keep on trying in some no matter what life throws at them.

God bless your pops.......-meanwhile say some prayers for my dad??-he is an amazingly talented brave tough active guy at 83-and fulll of flaws:):)

But I have great respect for him.

Jan 28th 2013 new
Gosh thank you Tom! I will pray for your Dad. St. Joseph, for his fatherhood, is the saint I'll pray to for your Dad. (I'm really glad you posted this response and it came up right after my post on my Mom. The two of them belong together.)
Jan 28th 2013 new
(Quote) Tom-112790 said: wow John--brought a few tears to my eyes.I think of saints as being flawed like the rest of us--but k...
(Quote) Tom-112790 said:

wow John--brought a few tears to my eyes.

I think of saints as being flawed like the rest of us--but keep on trying in some no matter what life throws at them.

God bless your pops.......-meanwhile say some prayers for my dad??-he is an amazingly talented brave tough active guy at 83-and fulll of flaws:):)

But I have great respect for him.

--hide--

Tom, that is a beautiful definition of a saint..."flawed...but keep on trying". That is what our lives are about...loving, seeking and striving towards Goodness. That is all God asks...keep showing Me you love Me and want to be with Me.
Posts 41 - 50 of 53