Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Prisoners

Jan 21st 2013 new

Since I got a collect phone call yesterday from someone in prison, I'm spurred to ask a question or two.

(It was just a random call I believe because of our simple number and I did not take the call. )

But what are we asked to do for prisoners? And prisoners may mean anyone in a personal prison too?

Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Since I got a collect phone call yesterday from someone in prison, I'm spurred to ask a ques...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Since I got a collect phone call yesterday from someone in prison, I'm spurred to ask a question or two.

(It was just a random call I believe because of our simple number and I did not take the call. )

But what are we asked to do for prisoners? And prisoners may mean anyone in a personal prison too?

--hide--
Let's focus on those who are incarcerated. At the onset, I would like to emphasize that there are many people in jails/prisons who ARE innocent. But...that may open up a can of worms and be fodder for a different topic.

Some jails/prisons allow outside visitors who are not relatives or friends. Locally visitors (with the 2 noted exceptions) have been banned because of escape attempts which had disastrous results. Some prisons are too far away, even if visits are allowed.

Our area has Churches that participate in prison ministry in one form or another. One example is Christmas cards. Cards are collected, then distributed to inmates along with stamps so they can send at least a few cards to their family members. As an occasional project, some schools have students write to inmates -- words of encouragement mainly, along with prayer offerings. Some adults do this on their own. Their letters aren't directed toward specific individuals -- things are kep anonymous. Greeting cards can be sent anonymously to people in jail -- again for encouragement purposes and to let them know they haven't been forgotten.

A post-jail ministry is very active in the area. When people are released, they sadly lack proper clothing, including underwear, socks, and winterwear. Collections of needed items are brought to a center that assists released offenders, at least with some of the basics needed for human dignity -- mainly underwear (for both men and women), socks, and coats. Also, basic hygiene bags are assembled and distributed. They're called dignity kits, which contain such items as soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and several other items. There is an ongoing need for these kits, so one Church continues the collection on a year-round basis.

These are some of the ongoing projects locally.

Where possible and permissible, some Bible studies can be arranged. It helps to have a little training for maximum benefit. The efforts fortify those who are incarcerated to do better once they are released, and to help their attitude while they are locked up.

Jan 21st 2013 new

Thanks Ray, those are very positive interactions. I've heard talk of some prison ministry around here, but nothing first hand.

Jan 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Since I got a collect phone call yesterday from someone in prison, I'm spurred to ask a question or two.

--hide--

If you visit jails or prisons make sure to Leave that Cell Phone in your car! It is considered a felony to have a cell phone in a Jail or Prison. Our Priest does Prison Ministry and he had to go through legal proceedings because he forgot his in his pocket during one of his visits. Praise God they did not file felony charges against him, he visits three prisons every Saturday......
Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: If you visit jails or prisons make sure to Leave that Cell Phone in your car! It is considered a...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

If you visit jails or prisons make sure to Leave that Cell Phone in your car! It is considered a felony to have a cell phone in a Jail or Prison. Our Priest does Prison Ministry and he had to go through legal proceedings because he forgot his in his pocket during one of his visits. Praise God they did not file felony charges against him, he visits three prisons every Saturday......
--hide--

That's an interesting story. Felony to bring in a cell phone that is pretty serious.

I won't be visiting now, since I can't leave home and I'd only visit women.

But I was thinking of sending a prayer anonymously. I see they can receive mail.

Jan 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: That's an interesting story. Felony to bring in a cell phone that is pre...

That's an interesting story. Felony to bring in a cell phone that is pretty serious.

I won't be visiting now, since I can't leave home and I'd only visit women.

But I was thinking of sending a prayer anonymously. I see they can receive mail.

--hide--

No personal photos in mail and they would not allow holy cards. I sent a letter to the young man sent to jail after my sons death.
Jan 21st 2013 new

Okay, thanks for the info. The online didn't say that but I believe it. I'll write it on plain piece of paper.

Jan 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Okay, thanks for the info. The online didn't say that but I believe it. I'll write it on plain piece...

Okay, thanks for the info. The online didn't say that but I believe it. I'll write it on plain piece of paper.

--hide--

They may have different rules in different places. That is just what I found in Oklahoma.
Posts 1 - 8 of 8