Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Why did God make winter?

01/23/2013 new

Its cold and dark here in Minnesota. I'm counting down the days til January is over.

Whomever thinks Global Warming sounds scary to us in Minnesota - should think again.

Globally Cooling - now that's a scary thought!

Clearly they need to stick to saying, Global Climate Change.

Please, tell me something about where you are?

Weather is definitely a current event topic in Minnesota. flower

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Its cold and dark here in Minnesota. I'm counting down the days til January is over. ...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Its cold and dark here in Minnesota. I'm counting down the days til January is over.

Whomever thinks Global Warming sounds scary to us in Minnesota - should think again.

Weather is definitely a current event topic in Minnesota.

--hide--
Oh, I loved Chicago winters when I was young! Snow always seemed magical. I read a lot of stories about animals and winter, about pioneers surviving blizzards--the tough times but how they were strong and prevailed, so I always associated good things with winter. Even that one perilous time waiting for the city bus to take us to school the morning that the wind chill factor hit -67 degrees.... our all-girl Catholic high school refused to allow us to wear pants, just our skirts and knee-high socks. We huddled in the store doorway the best we could awaiting that bus. Attitude--it's all attitude. I found the challenge exciting.

Today, here in Phoenix it got up to 70 degrees. But it's winter. It should be cold, not balmy. Yet, it's all attitude. So I'm glad it was warm, and will continue similarly through the weekend as I run the school rummage sale.

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Oh, I loved Chicago winters when I was young! Snow always seemed magical. I read a lot of stories ...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

Oh, I loved Chicago winters when I was young! Snow always seemed magical. I read a lot of stories about animals and winter, about pioneers surviving blizzards--the tough times but how they were strong and prevailed, so I always associated good things with winter. Even that one perilous time waiting for the city bus to take us to school the morning that the wind chill factor hit -67 degrees.... our all-girl Catholic high school refused to allow us to wear pants, just our skirts and knee-high socks. We huddled in the store doorway the best we could awaiting that bus. Attitude--it's all attitude. I found the challenge exciting.

Today, here in Phoenix it got up to 70 degrees. But it's winter. It should be cold, not balmy. Yet, it's all attitude. So I'm glad it was warm, and will continue similarly through the weekend as I run the school rummage sale.

--hide--

Well Western Washington has seen colder than normal temperatures for the last week and a half. Even worse, during this time we are also under a siege of stagnant air, so it has been darker than normal on some of these days.

For anyone with lung problems (asthma, COPD, etc.) it is a very trying time.

The stagnant air was supposed to lift at noon today, Tuesday, but that has now been extended until Wednesday. It will be a relief when the normal rains return and clear the air. That will also mean the temperatures will rise into a more normal range.

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Lina-796057 said: Oh, I loved Chicago winters when I was young! Snow always seemed magical. I read a lot of stories ...
(Quote) Lina-796057 said:

--hide--

You were a tough cookie Lina, I don't think I could do the dress thing in the winter and with a big windchill.

I went walking today - its nice to be outside. But it is very windy today, my temples were the only thing exposed due to the wind.

It is attitude - I just needed to brave the cold and go outside, then everything is right with the world.

70 sounds nice. Hope the school rummage sale is a success.

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Well Western Washington has seen colder than normal temperatures for the last week and a ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Well Western Washington has seen colder than normal temperatures for the last week and a half. Even worse, during this time we are also under a siege of stagnant air, so it has been darker than normal on some of these days.

For anyone with lung problems (asthma, COPD, etc.) it is a very trying time.

The stagnant air was supposed to lift at noon today, Tuesday, but that has now been extended until Wednesday. It will be a relief when the normal rains return and clear the air. That will also mean the temperatures will rise into a more normal range.

--hide--

I haven't been out of the state or on vacation for over 10 yrs. now and I've never been to Washington. But I think you have cloudy/raining times in Washington. I didn't realize you get stagnant air being by the ocean, but I suppose that is why you get the clouds too? Warm moist air rising off the water holding down cold air, is that it ??

Anyways, hope that stagnant air is gone now. Thanks for commenting.

01/23/2013 new

I live in Canada. I just deal with it. Growing up it seemed a lot more fun when you could build snow forts and snowmen and make snow angels. Now I have to shovel and plug in my car and scrape the windshield.

We are in the middle of a humdinger of a cold snap. It is supposed to be -39 degrees Celsius, that -38.2 degrees Fahrenheit. And that's 234.15 degrees Kelvin. cool laughing

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: I live in Canada. I just deal with it. Growing up it seemed a lot more fun when you could build ...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

I live in Canada. I just deal with it. Growing up it seemed a lot more fun when you could build snow forts and snowmen and make snow angels. Now I have to shovel and plug in my car and scrape the windshield.

We are in the middle of a humdinger of a cold snap. It is supposed to be -39 degrees Celsius, that -38.2 degrees Fahrenheit. And that's 234.15 degrees Kelvin.

--hide--

I HATE THE COLD. weeping We are in a cold snap as well and I can't wait until it is over. By body was definitely built for the tropics. sad

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Its cold and dark here in Minnesota. I'm counting down the days til January is over. ...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Weather is definitely a current event topic in Minnesota.

--hide--
14 degrees today here in PA and I hate, hate, hate the cold. I really miss TX during these times. I hate that it gets dark by 5:30 too and really, really miss TX then too. I really need sunlight. Some day, I plan to move to Florida!

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: 14 degrees today here in PA and I hate, hate, hate the cold. I really miss TX during these times...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

14 degrees today here in PA and I hate, hate, hate the cold. I really miss TX during these times. I hate that it gets dark by 5:30 too and really, really miss TX then too. I really need sunlight. Some day, I plan to move to Florida!

--hide--

I'd take 14 degrees right about now. Actually, where I live, 10 degrees is the dividing line between cold but I can deal with it, and very cold. If the temps get above 10, we might even venture outside without a hat and gloves, and maybe our jackets aren't zipped all the way up.

However, after 55 winters in Minnesota, I, too, think an eventual move to FLA might be in order penguin

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: I'd take 14 degrees right about now. Actually, where I live, 10 degrees is the divid...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

I'd take 14 degrees right about now. Actually, where I live, 10 degrees is the dividing line between cold but I can deal with it, and very cold. If the temps get above 10, we might even venture outside without a hat and gloves, and maybe our jackets aren't zipped all the way up.

However, after 55 winters in Minnesota, I, too, think an eventual move to FLA might be in order

--hide--
It is probably going to get lower than that at night...I jus thope our pipes don't freezed. I forgot how much I hated this stuff.

Posts 1 - 10 of 88