Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 24th 2013 new

Having lived in St. Paul for 7 years I rememberr one time about 1968 when we had 3 weeks where the high was zero, but I was young and had a (warm) new car. I've been here on Lake Erie about 20 years and the temp has never gone below zero. Today it's one of the worst ... +13F with snow ... so you would think that I would be happy by comparason, but I'm not. Must be because I'm older...lol

Jan 24th 2013 new

It seems clear to me that God made winter to give us folks here in Maine an opportunity to bear our cross joyfully. biggrin Brad

Jan 24th 2013 new

Most of you don't know what a real winter is! laughing
We've been stuck in an arctic freeze the last couple of weeks...mostly below zero Fahrenheit, with lows into the -20s to -30s, not including the windchills. Our windchills have been in the vicinity of -40. Although this has been cold, most winters we get down to -35 or -40 some nights, with windchills in the -50 or colder range.
You haven't really experienced winter until you can say, with a straight face, "wow this -30 sure feels nice and warm with no wind!"
For me it's not that cold until it's below zero and you have to start plugging the car engine block heater in.

But as much as we complain about winter too, we still have fun with it. I have gone cross country skiing and ice skating in the last week or two while the temperatures were well below zero and with some nasty windchills. You just have to dress for it and keep moving.

I think I'd rather it be 30 below than 110 above. You can always dress warmer when it's cold out (even if you can barely move laughing) but there's only so many clothes you can take off (legally) when it's hot out. eyepopping

I also like to say that I don't see what the big deal about Jesus walking on water is...I've done it thousands of times in weather like this! laughing

Jan 24th 2013 new

The high here today is 77 and humid. Reading your posts makes me feel like I'm living on another planet. laughing But it is Texas . . . tomorrow it might just be freezing.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Genie-920495 said: zoom it is so nice to get to know you in here and pray for many more years... God mad...
(Quote) Genie-920495 said:

zoom it is so nice to get to know you in here and pray for many more years...

God made winter as a reminder all things are new (spring) after death (fall) ... snow is a blanket to keep us warm and to reminder that we are (snow) angels (not able to do that in mud or sand). However, you can put a foot print in the sand on the beach and the waves washes it away...

Changes in season is good like the color of the rainbows or even our lives it is not boring but keeps us alert and on our toes. Winter gives us different pleasure ~ ski, snowman, snowballs, snowboarding, etc... spring has sprung for us summer ~ where fall roll us for winter everything is rolled up for hailstorm, snowballs, etc either way we need the rain or face a drought

For me rather have winter, except for ice, cleans the air, better than a sand storm or humidity.

--hide--

That was beautiful Genie, I really liked the angel idea - I hadn't thought of it that way.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Con-888377 said: Hearken unto me my children! and it will be revealed unto thee the origins of Winter. I might add t...
(Quote) Con-888377 said:

Hearken unto me my children! and it will be revealed unto thee the origins of Winter. I might add that hear in 'Sunny' 'Warm' '7 million blow flies', 'i million European wasps!' Oh, the thrill of an outside BBQ!!. But I digress, let us return to the question at hand, "Why did God make winter??" short answer, 'He didn't!' Garden of Eden had no snow resorts, I'm dreaming of a White Christmas had not been written or recorded because there was no Winter and therefore no Winter. So let us now meander down the byways of history to the Gates of Eden, where residing in the tree of life was an egocentric pit hisser (when saying pit hisser please do not be under the influence of alchohol!) by the name of Satan. There was the little sod basking in the sun entwined in the Tree of Life Pssssssssting to Eve like a crooked watch seller in a rancid flea market. Well she didn't buy a watch but ended up with an Apple (another reason for buying an IBM clone!) Well bang! flash! and kaboom! the next thing you know Adam and Eve the makers of Winter got frozen out of the Garden and the Heat got turned up on the Old Pit Hisser. Now you know why it is so cold. It is said in scripture that the devil, Satan, prowls around the earth seeking to devour souls. So here is the explanation of the seasons. As the Pit Hisser goes on Global hunt he can be easily tracked. Where ever Autumn begins he is about to arrive, and Winter hits, he's in town baby! And as he is taking all the heat now, that's why we freeze. You can see I've taken the scientific route!!! To go further when Spring starts to appear Rattle Snake Pants is moving on. So it must now be clearly understood that God did not make winter the heat is on the Pit Hisser.

Hello to all my forum Fiends er mean Friends, if you kick the R's out of Friends you get Fiends! My health is still lousy, I have endured a preponderous bevy of disasters. My kidneys have turned on me with theemotional trauma of Mum andI have had 8 incremental drops in kidney function and a host of problems are spinning off that. But I won't give in!!! Here is my latest contribution for anew wave of fortune cookies, sample 1: Remember Grasshopper, a Buzzard is nothing more than an extremely big, ugly chicken! But there's more to share around!!

--hide--

Con, I haven't laughed so hard in quite some time... wave I thought it would end after the first line, but it was throughout. You should be a writer or I should say, you are a writer. Bow

Your humor is pulling you through many a storm. Prayers for you Con, may God bless you in these hours with kindness and comfort, with love, Andrea. flower

Jan 24th 2013 new

Yes, Brad & Cathy - I agree, we doing our duty, building character through perseverance.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Ron-565573 said: Having lived in St. Paul for 7 years I rememberr one time about 1968 when we had 3 weeks where the ...
(Quote) Ron-565573 said:

Having lived in St. Paul for 7 years I rememberr one time about 1968 when we had 3 weeks where the high was zero, but I was young and had a (warm) new car. I've been here on Lake Erie about 20 years and the temp has never gone below zero. Today it's one of the worst ... +13F with snow ... so you would think that I would be happy by comparason, but I'm not. Must be because I'm older...lol

--hide--

Ron, you decided to leave MN when I was born, what's up with that. 1965 was the roof top snow time - I wish we would have one of those again.

My Dad is 86 - he is starting to get tired of the winter thing. But he has 100 sq. ft. recycled glass shelter that heats up to like 80s on a warm winter day, it only gets to about 40 or 50 on these cold days - it is his Florida and no wind.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Most of you don't know what a real winter is! We've been stuck in an arctic freeze th...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

Most of you don't know what a real winter is!
We've been stuck in an arctic freeze the last couple of weeks...mostly below zero Fahrenheit, with lows into the -20s to -30s, not including the windchills. Our windchills have been in the vicinity of -40. Although this has been cold, most winters we get down to -35 or -40 some nights, with windchills in the -50 or colder range.
You haven't really experienced winter until you can say, with a straight face, "wow this -30 sure feels nice and warm with no wind!"
For me it's not that cold until it's below zero and you have to start plugging the car engine block heater in.

But as much as we complain about winter too, we still have fun with it. I have gone cross country skiing and ice skating in the last week or two while the temperatures were well below zero and with some nasty windchills. You just have to dress for it and keep moving.

I think I'd rather it be 30 below than 110 above. You can always dress warmer when it's cold out (even if you can barely move ) but there's only so many clothes you can take off (legally) when it's hot out.

I also like to say that I don't see what the big deal about Jesus walking on water is...I've done it thousands of times in weather like this!

--hide--

Peter, I don't know how you survive up thar in Winnipeg - I think really highly of you. biggrin

Your right "Peter", walking on the water wasn't the scary part - it was the wind. The wind still is the scary part. Hmm... I hadn't thought of it that way.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Sarah-901988 said: The high here today is 77 and humid. Reading your posts makes me feel like I'm living on anot...
(Quote) Sarah-901988 said:

The high here today is 77 and humid. Reading your posts makes me feel like I'm living on another planet. But it is Texas . . . tomorrow it might just be freezing.

--hide--

Sarah, you are on a different planet - that's summertime.

Posts 31 - 40 of 88