Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: I haven't been out of the state or on vacation for over 10 yrs. now and I'v...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

I haven't been out of the state or on vacation for over 10 yrs. now and I've never been to Washington. But I think you have cloudy/raining times in Washington. I didn't realize you get stagnant air being by the ocean, but I suppose that is why you get the clouds too? Warm moist air rising off the water holding down cold air, is that it ??

Anyways, hope that stagnant air is gone now. Thanks for commenting.

--hide--

You got the reason for the stagnant air exactly right. Thank God that finally ended yesterday, although this old body is still suffering the effects to a greater extent than I like.

Unfortunately, the ocean is roughly 100 miles west of here. Here is roughly 20 miles north and 20 miles west (across Puget Sound) of Seattle.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: I live in Canada. I just deal with it. Growing up it seemed a lot more fun when you could build ...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

I live in Canada. I just deal with it. Growing up it seemed a lot more fun when you could build snow forts and snowmen and make snow angels. Now I have to shovel and plug in my car and scrape the windshield.

We are in the middle of a humdinger of a cold snap. It is supposed to be -39 degrees Celsius, that -38.2 degrees Fahrenheit. And that's 234.15 degrees Kelvin.

--hide--

Angela! Nice to see another Ottawan on here! Thought I would speak up and verify the insanity that is our current cold weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, hopefully that will be the end of the really cold weather for this year. Ha! Can't believe I said that with a straight face...

I'm not a skier but have taken up snowshoeing and love it. I really needed a reason to enjoy getting outside in the winter instead of just trying to get through it.

To answer the original question... My sister is living in Venezuela and recently found a bug almost as big as her foot. Cold weather kills bugs. I'd rather shovel than wonder what's crawling around out there...

Jan 24th 2013 new
((((SHUDDER))) me too!
Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Roisin-914000 said: Angela! Nice to see another Ottawan on here! Thought I would speak up and veri...
(Quote) Roisin-914000 said:

Angela! Nice to see another Ottawan on here! Thought I would speak up and verify the insanity that is our current cold weather. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, hopefully that will be the end of the really cold weather for this year. Ha! Can't believe I said that with a straight face...

I'm not a skier but have taken up snowshoeing and love it. I really needed a reason to enjoy getting outside in the winter instead of just trying to get through it.

To answer the original question... My sister is living in Venezuela and recently found a bug almost as big as her foot. Cold weather kills bugs. I'd rather shovel than wonder what's crawling around out there...

--hide--

FIRST POST ALERT!!!! Welcome to the forums, Roisin! wave

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Roisin-914000 said: Angela! Nice to see another Ottawan on here! Thought I would speak up and veri...
(Quote) Roisin-914000 said:

--hide--

Welcome to the forums Roisin! These posts are funny.

It definitely is a positive without the dangerous bugs. Deer ticks are on their way to my house - I'm not so excited about that.

Jan 24th 2013 new

So people would work, think, invent, and progress, instead of eating fruit and lounging about the beach all day.

Virtually all human progress has come from the people who live in cold latitudes.

That said, lounging about the beach all day can be very nice.

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: So people would work, think, invent, and progress, instead of eating fruit and lounging about th...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

So people would work, think, invent, and progress, instead of eating fruit and lounging about the beach all day.

Virtually all human progress has come from the people who live in cold latitudes.

That said, lounging about the beach all day can be very nice.

--hide--

Ironically though, I get more things done in hot weather. Cold weather makes me sleepy. scratchchin

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Most of you don't know what a real winter is!
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

Most of you don't know what a real winter is!

--hide--
Peter, with your experience in the frigid cold up there in Canada, could you recommend a good brand of gloves that will keep hands warm for extended periods of time in the cold? I bought Zero Xposur coats this year for my daughter and I, and I love them, they are warmer than Lands End. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Christine-924384 said: Peter, with your experience in the frigid cold up there in Canada, could you recommend a good...
(Quote) Christine-924384 said:

Peter, with your experience in the frigid cold up there in Canada, could you recommend a good brand of gloves that will keep hands warm for extended periods of time in the cold? I bought Zero Xposur coats this year for my daughter and I, and I love them, they are warmer than Lands End. Any recommendations? Thanks!

--hide--

My main recommendation would be to go for mitts, not gloves. It's amazing how much of a difference just that alone makes. Beyond that it depends on what you will be doing outdoors and how stylish you want to look. I personally have a couple pairs of lined rawhide mitts that keep my hands warm in extreme cold. They aren't super waterproof. Some people will also wear wool mitts under their outer mitts, particularly if their outer mitts are a little older that the lining has worn out.

Think function over style in most cases, though this is always difficult for teens. I would also recommend buying mitts and other outerwear from stores that carry outerwear for people who actually depend on keeping warm for their work...farmers, ranchers, tradesmen, etc.

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: My main recommendation would be to go for mitts, not gloves. It's amazing how much o...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

My main recommendation would be to go for mitts, not gloves. It's amazing how much of a difference just that alone makes. Beyond that it depends on what you will be doing outdoors and how stylish you want to look. I personally have a couple pairs of lined rawhide mitts that keep my hands warm in extreme cold. They aren't super waterproof. Some people will also wear wool mitts under their outer mitts, particularly if their outer mitts are a little older that the lining has worn out.

Think function over style in most cases, though this is always difficult for teens. I would also recommend buying mitts and other outerwear from stores that carry outerwear for people who actually depend on keeping warm for their work...farmers, ranchers, tradesmen, etc.

--hide--

I've been reading through this thread with interest. We have a more than passing acquaintance with winter and cold weather up here. They go hand-in-hand and last 6-7 months. I try to follow the YNWR(Yukon No-Whining Rules):
-20C or -4F -- mention that it is a little nippy
-30C or -22F -- start shopping for long underwear
-35C or -31F -- put on the long underwear
-40C or -40F -- now permissible to whine!

Just remember: Many are cold, but few are frozen!
wave

Posts 41 - 50 of 88