Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Funny Tom and thanks for the affirmation on North Dakota. I want to be count...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Funny Tom and thanks for the affirmation on North Dakota.

I want to be counted with the good people... we have old Ski doo snowmobiles and when we were young, we pulled an upside down car hood behind to ride on. It was great fun, could throw snow in the face too.

Oh, Wisconsin, what to say, you are our neighbor

--hide--

Ah yes, the upside down car hood. We used to use them on the frozen lakes up here. Winter can be a lot of fun!

Jan 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Shara, I think I was built for the tropics too , except I'd like to come back h...

Shara, I think I was built for the tropics too , except I'd like to come back here in the Summer.

--hide--

I am somewhat fickle myself. I hate the cold but I also hate the extreme heat. I love doing outdoor stuff but am a fair weather kind of girl. wink cool

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: I am somewhat fickle myself. I hate the cold but I also hate the extreme heat. I love do...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

I am somewhat fickle myself. I hate the cold but I also hate the extreme heat. I love doing outdoor stuff but am a fair weather kind of girl.

--hide--

One of reasons I was more than willing to move to my wife's home state, Washington, was that , at least, on the West Side of the Mountains we rarely have extreme cold or heat. And when they do occur they only last for a few short days rather than the day after day after day of extreme temperature so prevalent back in Chicago where I grew up and most of the northern US East of the Cascades.

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Julie-917308 said: I grew up in Minnesota and went to college in North Dakota. Everyone said it was colder there and...
(Quote) Julie-917308 said:

I grew up in Minnesota and went to college in North Dakota. Everyone said it was colder there and I thought "Whatever! I'm from Minnesota. It can't be that different." Hah! It was a whole lot colder with a sustained bitterness we just didn't have in the Twin Cities. Then I moved to California! Weather culture shock! They sent out severe cold alerts when the low was +33 F. I laughed. (Yeah, yeah, it's all relative--but there's nothing relative about -35 degrees.) "Winter is coming" was the perpetual thought in ND, even in August. It was amazing how the people seemed to grow out of the ground in the spring along with the flowers. Now, no matter how cold it is in Wisconsin, I always remember that it's colder in ND!

--hide--

I agree with you wholeheatedly Julie. I went to school in ND too. My college friends would tease me and say you know why ND is so windy? I would ask and they would say because Wisconsin blows and Minnesota sucks, LOL. It does get brutal with no trees and I am not one for wind. So if they want to make jokes to make themselves feel better, so be it.

My daughter was looking into NDSU this past year and we went up to Fargo for a tour. As soon as things started getting flat she said, "Who lives up here"! I said you if you go to NDSU. She decided to go to the U of M this Fall here in the cities. Good choice, LOL! Lots of family up in the ND area, but I wouldn't want to live there myself. Heck, I want to be a snow dove here someday, hehe.

Jan 27th 2013 new

To go skiing . Pope John Paul Two Skiing

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-556947 said: To go skiing . Pope John Paul Two Skiing
(Quote) Michael-556947 said:

To go skiing . Pope John Paul Two Skiing

--hide--

You just warmed my heart with the JP II pic. I love that man with all of my heart. WHAT A MAN!!!! He is truly my pope crush. lovestruck! lovestruck! theheart Picture added and saved to my album. hug

Jan 27th 2013 new

Because it provides a safe temperature buffer. This protects the Earth from roasting during its closest approach to the sun. Additionally it helps with the life cycle of vegetation and enables many ecologies to be balanced especially in the Northern climates.

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Its cold and dark here in Minnesota. I'm counting down the days til January is over. ...

Its cold and dark here in Minnesota. I'm counting down the days til January is over.

Whomever thinks Global Warming sounds scary to us in Minnesota - should think again.

Globally Cooling - now that's a scary thought!

Clearly they need to stick to saying, Global Climate Change.

Please, tell me something about where you are?

Weather is definitely a current event topic in Minnesota.

--hide--

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Raphael-888821 said: Because it provides a safe temperature buffer. This protects the Earth from roasting during its...
(Quote) Raphael-888821 said:

Because it provides a safe temperature buffer. This protects the Earth from roasting during its closest approach to the sun. Additionally it helps with the life cycle of vegetation and enables many ecologies to be balanced especially in the Northern climates.

--hide--

A literal man. I like it. laughing laughing laughing laughing

Jan 27th 2013 new

Northern winters can be quite uncomfortable, and yes that measure of uncomfortableness is relevant to what one is used to and prepared for both mentally and physically.

At her best winter is incredibly beautiful in ways not possible to experience in other latitudes. The clarity of the air and the crispness of the scenery because of the cold must be experienced to be believed.

A moon lit landscape with a fresh powdery snow is a tranquil treat. Crisp silence. Ice encased trees on a bright morn.

Winter offers other pleasures akin to no other.........moving about as in hiking , snow shoeing or what have you and being warm when all is cold...... can there be better cuddling experience than in front of a fire as a storm blows outside. A piping hot stew on the fire. Many pleasures come to mind.

But alas winter offers misery for some, myself included at times. Wet grey days. Darkness. Cold feet other than "relation generated". One could go on and on with winters warts if that is where you choose to dwell.

What may make winter so unpleasant for many is our societies need to treat winter as if winter did not exist....that our work schedule, our life schedule, our dress should be on a human scale as opposed to what nature has offered that day.

Jan 27th 2013 new

God made winter so I can make snow forts, snow men, snowballs, and have snow cream. :-) That, and take very pretty pictures of the sun coming up over the frozen creek, glistening off the icicles, while illuminating the tracks of some small creature who ventured out much earlier than I to take a nice winters strool. It's all for me. :-) It's okay, spring, summer, and autumn are all for me too.

Or I could give the whole wibbly wobbeling helocentric answer but you can always look that one up on wikipedia. biggrin

Posts 71 - 80 of 88