Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 29th 2013 new

www.usatoday.com

Semper Fi!

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Andrea, thanks for the questions/responses. Is the military suicide rate greater than the U S...
(Quote) Bernie-645443 said:

Hi Andrea, thanks for the questions/responses. Is the military suicide rate greater than the U S population suicide rate ? If so, when did the curves cross ?

Do you feel the increasing suicide rates are directly related to the specific war, its stronger desensitizing techniques and effects, or is it related to the increasing cultural contradictions, and some actual persecutions, boys and men face today ?

About women in combat, do value assessments translate straight across to moral imperatives ? Is there a Church teaching on women taking front line (combat likely) positions ? Just me, I would say on the abortion/front line question that when abortion has become acceptable, it is much more likely that women will be in combat roles, kind of a domino or slippery slope progression. Now the word "put" , to me, means draft. I suspect the demographics of US population will not allow that for quite some time yet, unless we face an overwhelming invasion force.

--hide--

Bernie, before or if I do answer any more question - I have to say "I don't know anything, I plead ignorance in many regards".

The people in uniform are probably the most knowledgeable about conditions here and at home.

Whether or not our country does the right things or not - I do extend gratitude and sympathy to those making sacrifices on behalf of this country.

Foremost, all should know their life is valued and you are deserving of all the support this country can provide.

I haven't read this report - but it details information about suicide in the military.

www.cnas.org

As a democracy - it may mean every group gets an opportunity to participate in the protection of their country or rights, that my moral arguments may be counterbalanced by some other points.

Personally, I'd like to stick the "love your enemy" as much as possible.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Bernie, before or if I do answer any more question - I have to say "I don'...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Bernie, before or if I do answer any more question - I have to say "I don't know anything, I plead ignorance in many regards".

The people in uniform are probably the most knowledgeable about conditions here and at home.

Whether or not our country does the right things or not - I do extend gratitude and sympathy to those making sacrifices on behalf of this country.

Foremost, all should know their life is valued and you are deserving of all the support this country can provide.

I haven't read this report - but it details information about suicide in the military.

www.cnas.org

As a democracy - it may mean every group gets an opportunity to participate in the protection of their country or rights, that my moral arguments may be counterbalanced by some other points.

Personally, I'd like to stick the "love your enemy" as much as possible.

--hide--
Hi Andrea, mea culpa ! My overactive curiosity slipped the leash again, sorry. FWIW, I agree on most points.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: There are 109,000 dead Iraqis and some 4,500 dead Americans as a result of the 2003...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

There are 109,000 dead Iraqis and some 4,500 dead Americans as a result of the 2003 invasion of Iraq. Condoleeza Rice played no small part in that war.

--hide--

The figures are closer to the 50,000 range, with most of them being killed by their fellow Iraqis.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Benjamin-913301 said: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/29/marine-corps-women-combat/1873753/
(Quote) Benjamin-913301 said:

www.usatoday.com

Semper Fi!

--hide--

That was a good article Benjamin.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The figures are closer to the 50,000 range, with most of them being killed by their fello...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The figures are closer to the 50,000 range, with most of them being killed by their fellow Iraqis.

--hide--

Paul,

Even the Pentagon had a higher figure than 50,000 (77,000 between 2004 and 2008). The 109,000 figure is a CIA estimate, courtesy of Wikileaks: abcnews.go.com

It may be true that most of these Iraqis were killed by other Iraqis, but I fault the United States for destabilizing the country and not being able to provide security for the country.

Warnings about this were given before the US launched its assault; there simply weren't enough people in the right places who were willing to listen.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: Warnings about this were given before the US launched its assault; there simply wer...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Warnings about this were given before the US launched its assault; there simply weren't enough people in the right places who were willing to listen.

--hide--

Historically, this has been a major problem with sending troops into battle...too few were sent and too few were sent to reinforce. It is my uneducated assumption that the reason this happens is because those who are not military strategist have the most input and last say in the decision.

If an American company made decisions on the basis that our government made decisions (political strategy to stay in office), that company is very likely to end up in bankruptcy. But hey...it appears our government is on that same track. The tragedy about this decision is that it is going to effect life and death decisions...a good reason for people NOT to join or reenlist in the military if their skill requires strength, agility, sustainability in life and/or death situations.

- Elizabeth

Jan 30th 2013 new

Lets face it- wherever there is war, women are in it. As to combat on foreign shores, women have been in combat for years, just not getting the appropriate pay and opportunity for advancement that goes with it. This move to allow only allows women to have the benefits for what they are already doing. Talking to the sons of friends who have made several tours in Iraq, there was never a time that women wern't there fighting along side them, but with a lower pay grade and fewer benefits. Whether this is a good or bad thing is a mixed bag. Physical standards should not be lowered for women, but probably will be because of the monetary reasons someone else alluded to. For a 100% approval of this, a financial reason had to be involved, and I suspect it is the upcoming automatic attack on funding to the military while the Mid East heats up leaving us totally unprepared for war. Making whatever changes are needed to fill in the coming holes probably makes sense from a financial situation, and that is what's driving this decision. Whether its right or wrong, it may be necessary

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: Condoleezza Rice is probably too connected to Bush and the war to win an election. <...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

Condoleezza Rice is probably too connected to Bush and the war to win an election.

--hide--

Andrea,

You're being very kind to Condoleezza Rice. She was more than connected to the war; she was a public proponent of it.

When she appeared on CNN on 09/08/2002, this is what National Security Advisor Rice said:

“We do know that he is actively pursuing a nuclear weapon. We do know that there have been shipments going into Iran, for instance—into Iraq, for instance, of aluminum tubes that really are only suited to—high-quality aluminum tools that are only really suited for nuclear weapons programs, centrifuge programs. We know that he has the infrastructure, nuclear scientists to make a nuclear weapon. And we know that when the inspectors assessed this after the Gulf War, he was far, far closer to a crude nuclear device than anybody thought, maybe six months from a crude nuclear device. The problem here is that there will always be some uncertainty about how quickly he can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don’t what the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud.

Jan 30th 2013 new

www.youtube.com

Posts 61 - 70 of 97