Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

01/30/2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: www.youtube.com
(Quote) Bernie-645443 said:

www.youtube.com

--hide--

Put them ALL on trial.

01/30/2013 new

I haven't read completely through the thread but what I did see had a lot of illogic and misinformation, of which I'm not surprised.

First, I work in a military command.

Second, women were already in combat due to the changing battlefield. We don't work with a black hats on one side of the battlefield, white hats on the other anymore. We haven't in years. Rather, the baddies can come at any time, any where. 9/11 proved that.

All this does is allow women to be part of the offensive mission rather than be on the defensive. That's it. Women were already pilots, Captians on ships, and had a million other jobs in the military.

They way some people seem to be talking on this thread, they seem to be of the very huge misogyneic misunderstanding that women are weak creatures that need help. Sorry. No. There are some that seem to think women shouldn't even be allowed to vote! Sorry, it's not 1919 anymore. We let women vote and we don't fight wars that way anymore either.

01/30/2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-384374 said: I haven't read completely through the thread but what I did see had a lot of illogic and ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-384374 said:

I haven't read completely through the thread but what I did see had a lot of illogic and misinformation, of which I'm not surprised.

First, I work in a military command.

Second, women were already in combat due to the changing battlefield. We don't work with a black hats on one side of the battlefield, white hats on the other anymore. We haven't in years. Rather, the baddies can come at any time, any where. 9/11 proved that.

All this does is allow women to be part of the offensive mission rather than be on the defensive. That's it. Women were already pilots, Captians on ships, and had a million other jobs in the military.

They way some people seem to be talking on this thread, they seem to be of the very huge misogyneic misunderstanding that women are weak creatures that need help. Sorry. No. There are some that seem to think women shouldn't even be allowed to vote! Sorry, it's not 1919 anymore. We let women vote and we don't fight wars that way anymore either.

--hide--

Elizabeth,

If you or any other woman on this forum would like to put on a uniform and expose yourself to danger for any reason, whether it be for the flag, the fatherland, or just plain feminism, I will certainly not stand in your way.

01/30/2013 new

William, I agree - I mispoke, I think anyone associated with the past war dealings should be off the table for the future.

I think we all wondered when the inspectors went in and did not find any WMD - but both democrats and republicans were falling in line for the war. The public is left with trusting in the representatives who are getting more information than us. I don't think they should be allowed that latitude.

For me, I think this country is pulled into these middle east wars largely due to corporate interests and not the safety and security of America.

I recall the Pope speaking out against the war and thinking he was right.

01/31/2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-384374 said: Second, women were already in combat due to the changing battlefield. We don't work with ...

--hide--

HI Elizabeth,

I think your second point is really important here, women have been de facto serving in combat for a few years now. So this partly just a recognized of what is already a reality.

My second point is the US is in a lot of Muslim countries now and cultural speaking there are a lot of things to male soldiers can not do that female soldiers can. For example, some very traditional women in small villages will not speak to male soldiers, but they will speak to female soldiers, so female soldiers can sometimes get much better front line Intel.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of women on the front lines, but I think there is a strong case to be made for putting a select few on the front lines.

01/31/2013 new

(Quote) Justin-32820 said: HI Elizabeth, I think your second point is really important here, women h...
(Quote) Justin-32820 said:

HI Elizabeth,

I think your second point is really important here, women have been de facto serving in combat for a few years now. So this partly just a recognized of what is already a reality.

My second point is the US is in a lot of Muslim countries now and cultural speaking there are a lot of things to male soldiers can not do that female soldiers can. For example, some very traditional women in small villages will not speak to male soldiers, but they will speak to female soldiers, so female soldiers can sometimes get much better front line Intel.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like the idea of women on the front lines, but I think there is a strong case to be made for putting a select few on the front lines.

--hide--
Hi Justin, perhaps some relevant points here esp. on contact with local populations, and long term physiological effects : www.mca-marines.org

01/31/2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: William, I agree - I mispoke, I think anyone associated with the past war dealings should be off...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

William, I agree - I mispoke, I think anyone associated with the past war dealings should be off the table for the future.

I think we all wondered when the inspectors went in and did not find any WMD - but both democrats and republicans were falling in line for the war. The public is left with trusting in the representatives who are getting more information than us. I don't think they should be allowed that latitude.

--hide--

So you don't believe there should be classified information? Information for all? Yeah, that'll work. eyebrow

Look at the entire middle east right now and notice the only countries you don't hear much about are Iraq, Saudi, Kuwait, and Oman. There is a reason for that.

01/31/2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-384374 said: So you don't believe there should be classified information? Information for all? Yeah, t...

So you don't believe there should be classified information? Information for all? Yeah, that'll work.

Look at the entire middle east right now and notice the only countries you don't hear much about are Iraq, Saudi, Kuwait, and Oman. There is a reason for that.

--hide--

I don't think we have reason to be in the middle east in the first place. I don't think we will see things similarly Elizabeth.

02/01/2013 new

If a woman is sincere in her desire to serve her country as a combat soldier/officer and she is trained well and is qualified for the job, welcome her in!

02/01/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-720746 said: If a woman is sincere in her desire to serve her country as a combat soldier/officer and she is tr...
(Quote) Mary-720746 said:

If a woman is sincere in her desire to serve her country as a combat soldier/officer and she is trained well and is qualified for the job, welcome her in!

--hide--

The following articles were written by those who have served in direct combat roles and may provide some additional perspective:

tinyurl.com
tinyurl.com

Posts 71 - 80 of 97