Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-720746 said: If a woman is sincere in her desire to serve her country as a combat soldier/officer and she is tr...
(Quote) Mary-720746 said:

If a woman is sincere in her desire to serve her country as a combat soldier/officer and she is trained well and is qualified for the job, welcome her in!

--hide--

I agree, Mary, but anyone with a combat military occupational skill (MOS) should have to qualify with the same physical ability. Lowering the requirements will cause soldiers to be put at greater risk. There may be a woman out there who could qualify to be in a fox hole, but I don't know any and I sure don't want to put my son at risk so feminist can brag about equality. Women have physical needs that have to be addressed that men don't have to deal with. These alone, would cause problems on the battlefield. The issue here is not can women serve...they do serve and with distinction. The issue is women foot soldiers on the battlefield. When the training and physical requirements are the same, both sexes should be able to serve, but lower requirements to let women in to anything is wrong and unnecessarily dangerous.

- Elizabeth

Feb 1st 2013 new

I'm not saying lower the standards. My guess would be that only a few women would want to and only a few would pass the training and qualify. We won't know until we try it out in a realistic combat training environment. If no women qualify, then DOD can say we tried it and it didn't work. Commanders have a time period to come in with which MOS and which Primary Specialities for officers should remain closed to women. The emphasis is on motivation AND qualification.

Feb 1st 2013 new

Jerry, for an additional perspective seetownhall.com

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-720746 said: Jerry, for an additional perspective seehttp://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2013/01/25/

Jerry, for an additional perspective seetownhall.com

--hide--

There's nothing there.

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The following articles were written by those who have served in direct combat roles and m...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The following articles were written by those who have served in direct combat roles and may provide some additional perspective:

tinyurl.com
tinyurl.com

--hide--

Excellent article, Jerry. There are other issues that weren't addressed in the article, but I'm sure will be addressed in future articles.

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-720746 said: I'm not saying lower the standards. My guess would be that only a few women would want to and ...

I'm not saying lower the standards. My guess would be that only a few women would want to and only a few would pass the training and qualify. We won't know until we try it out in a realistic combat training environment. If no women qualify, then DOD can say we tried it and it didn't work. Commanders have a time period to come in with which MOS and which Primary Specialities for officers should remain closed to women. The emphasis is on motivation AND qualification.

--hide--

Past experience has shown this isn't the way it works. Either the standards get lowered or they are ignored for the women. I've read a number of posts on military blogs from officers and NCOs who stated they ween't permitted to write-up women for inability to perform -- instead they has to take men from other assignments to do the heavy lifting the women couldn't. Inconvenient on a carrier deck. Deadly in field combat.

Feb 1st 2013 new

Jerry, not sure that last ref is a valid ref. I googled a subject line and that site was listed as a ref. Don't know how to list news items etc onto CM. Bottom line, if you search for CPT Linday Bray, the Army Military Police Officer who in 1989 found herself in a firefight in Panama and led her platoon of men to safety, you. get yet another perspective on women in combat. Incidentally, she had training as a military police officer but not as a frontline combat officer. She did what she had to do to get the job done.

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-720746 said: Jerry, not sure that last ref is a valid ref. I googled a subject line and that site was listed as...

Jerry, not sure that last ref is a valid ref. I googled a subject line and that site was listed as a ref. Don't know how to list news items etc onto CM. Bottom line, if you search for CPT Linday Bray, the Army Military Police Officer who in 1989 found herself in a firefight in Panama and led her platoon of men to safety, you. get yet another perspective on women in combat. Incidentally, she had training as a military police officer but not as a frontline combat officer. She did what she had to do to get the job done.

--hide--

Mary, I don't doubt that women can step up to the plate when they need to. History is full of stories of women doing just that. The issue is sustained physical strength and endurance. I am aware of just the type of things Jerry is talking about. Unfortunately, political correctness limits the dissemination of these factual occurrences.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-720746 said: Jerry, not sure that last ref is a valid ref. I googled a subject line and that site was listed as...

--hide--

That was one incident, not someone in a combat situation day in and day out. Apples and oranges. Or rather grapes and watermelons.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

Women in the Israeli Defense Force have participated in combat for the past 15 years. I know an African female officer who particpated in direct combat and her fellow officers said they would follow her into battle any day. At least see how our females who want to be in combat do in a training program. Imbed the liberal press with them. (Note I said imbed.)

Posts 81 - 90 of 97