Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 26th 2013 new

One reason I don't like girls with big bags! HAAhahaha

Jan 26th 2013 new

This was a great story. Thanks for sharing it Mary...I'll remember it when I am praying the Rosary and wanting protection for the dogs and myself during our country walks. biggrin

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Saw an article where a lady met a guy off of another web site, decided he was too creepy to continue dat...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Saw an article where a lady met a guy off of another web site, decided he was too creepy to continue dating him. He ended up breaking in her garage hid and stabbed her when she got home. He ended up committing suicide later. Now she is suing the dating site.

I don't think she will win her suit.... But I do want to warn men and women both that you should stay safe and meet in public places. Blaming others for your poor judgement is silly....
--hide--

Hi Brenda and everyone .. I stumbled across same article today and posted it in the ladies room. It may get taken down because I forgot that we are not supposed to copy and paste entire articles here on the forums... So Here is the link www.womenofgrace.com

I do think the woman in the article is being a bit unreasonable to blame the dating site but her story and the FBI investigation gives us enough insight to see that there are real people out there that are violent and willing to scam others. I feel bad for her but like she says she feels God allowed her to live so she could be a witness.

God Bless her and God Bless us and watch over us.

When I went off to college at the university my mother was concerned for my safety , I remember her getting me pepper spray but I never did carry it ... maybe I need to see if my mom still has it ! scratchchin

But yes the Rosary rosary is our Best Weapon as is our Guardian Angels angel and being aware of God's presence and sensing danger from any evil attacks.. St. Michael the archangel defend us in battle be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and do thou Oh prince of the heavenly host by the power of God cast into Hell all the evil spirits that prowly around seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Kathleen Praying rosary theheart

Jan 27th 2013 new

I saw the article on yahoo today about the lady that got a date from another site and was later attacked. The attacker murdered another woman in another state. I am new to online dating and this is the first site I have joined. I haven't gone on a date yet. My dad was a hunter, policeman, and gun hobbyist and I was brought up with guns. Became a good shot at a young age. I don't own a gun. Don't plan on being armed when I meet my first date. Really? Am I really going to do this if I think I need to be armed? I hope my first date isn't packing heat. A few years ago I made a decision to sell my guns. I know that I don't want to shoot anyone. Not only could I murder a child of God, but another woman's son. One of my sons is deceased and I know the kind of pain that causes. There are millons; I think I saw the figure 40 million people dating online. Not that many have been murdered so far. I plan to get to know men for a while before the first meeting and to be very careful. If dating on CM gets me killed because I am not armed with a gun I will get to see Jesus sooner.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: Okay. these scary stories are really starting to creep me out.
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

Okay. these scary stories are really starting to creep me out.

--hide--

I know how you feel. It's stories like these that make me think twice about online dating.....

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Carolina-908134 said: I know how you feel. It's stories like these that make me think twice about online dating....
(Quote) Carolina-908134 said:

I know how you feel. It's stories like these that make me think twice about online dating.....

--hide--

The same thing could have occurred with someone she met initially in person.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Roselle-937050 said: I Hope it doesn't happen to me/// What I like with catholicmatch is its more specific on th...
(Quote) Roselle-937050 said:

I Hope it doesn't happen to me/// What I like with catholicmatch is its more specific on the personality of the users.

--hide--

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Are you referring to the information in the user's profile? Keep in mind that is supplied by the user and may not be complete -- or even accurate.

Jan 28th 2013 new

Here are some suggestions for maintaining one's privacy while dating on-line:

Many people like to move from CM's on-site communications to off-site electronic communications or phone calls fairly quickly for a variety of reasons. There are some steps you can take to protect yourself when doing so. The primary objective is to retain as much anonymity as possible initially, until you get a better sense of the person's nature. At a minimum, this should include some phone contact (unless you have had some contact with them in person, such as at a CM event).

Phone:

Do not give out a listed number. Search for the number with Google and Bing to be sure it can not be linked back to you.

If possible, avoid giving out your permanent phone or Skype number if it will be an inconvenience to change it. If you use Skype, create a new ID just for on-line acquaintances. Do not register it using your last name or maiden name (or even a unusual first name that will be easy to link to you if you live in a small town). For phone (landline or mobile), get a new number from Google Voice (GV) (or similar service) to use only for online contacts. GV numbers have a variety of flexible configuration options and can be set up to ring multiple phones so you can answer the one that is most convenient (e.g., to avoid using cell minutes when you are at home). GV also allows you to make free long distance calls within the United States and has what seem to be reasonable international rates. If someone harasses you, you can just release the GV number and create a new one. If you do use GV, be sure to create a throw-away email account that does not personally identify you to register it under.

If you don't have a throw-away number, always call the other person with caller ID blocked In many places this is done be dialing *67 followed by the number, but check with your local phone company -- and test by calling another phone you have access to first.

Internet (email, chat, etc.)

There are a number of services (Gmail, MSN, Yahoo, AOL) that provide free email accounts with associated chat clients that are far more user-friendly than the CM chat (sorry guys, but that is an Achilles heel...). Yahoo email is notorious for being compromised and used for spamming those in your address book and AOL has a number of quirks, so I recommend Gmail or MSN (Hotmail, or whatever they are calling it this week).

The same precautions apply as with the phone number: Create a throw-away email to be used solely for online acquaintances. Do not include your last name or maiden name, distinct first names, date of birth, etc. Don't use it for anything that would be a hassle to change if you need to delete or abandon the account due to harassment. Also do not use it to register for anything where you have to provide your real name.

A note regarding last names: if you were previously married, also avoid using a former married name, even if you no longer use it. There may be records that can link it to your current name. Also, do not use your mother's maiden name or other information that you have used in security questions to verify your identity for online accounts, banks, etc.

Do not identify your place of employment until you are know the other person fairly well. If you work for someone else, they could create some very embarassing situations. If you own your own business, in many cases they can obtain personal information about you through the business registration records.

Anonymity

Women, if you plan to do a background check on someone, do so before revealing your identity to them. This way if anything turns up, you have not compromised your identity. (Unfortunately, someone has to go first and generally the women are the most vulnerable, so...).

Do not revel your Social Security Number to the other person, even for the purpose of a background check. There are many companies that can provide the reports without such (see caveat regarding accuracy above).

Other tips

If you trave to meet someone face-to-face, do not stay with the person you are meeting, regardless of how many spare bedrooms they have, etc. Even if they are completely committed to maintaining chastity, temptations do happen despite the best of intentions, and you may need to get away for a while to allow yourselves to cool down. If a hotel is too expensive, see if there are any CM members of your sex you know in the area you can stay with.

Posts 41 - 48 of 48