Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

01/26/2013 new

During the grieving process and even now, since my husband died, there are some very painful regrets. However, these can be stepping stones for a better relationship I have with anyone at present or in the future...part of growing...God can work all to the greater good. I can see the blessings from the lose of having my dear Ernie physically present, and of having him now with us from our heavenly home.

As far as anything else...no re dos. Although I don't work at my dream job anymore (Recreation Aide with seniors). I did it and moved on. Am now enjoying and seeing the gifts in my present work.

01/26/2013 new
As a toddler, I should have bought land in Northern Virginia.
01/26/2013 new

I would have worried a lot less about what others thought about me.
I would have finished nursing school instead of dropping out with one semester to go.
I would have become a teacher much earlier in life, so that I wouldn't still be paying off my student loans for my B.A. and M.A.T. at my age.
I would have worked harder on finding that special person and having the children I always wanted
I would have traveled more.
I would have prayed more.
I would have done things that I wanted to do instead of agreeing to always do what others wanted or expected from me.

But, my life is truly blessed and every thing I have and have done has made me a better, more prayerful , and a happier person. "What if's, and I should have" are all in the past. They are history, and with history, if you don't learn from it, you are probebly going to repeat it. I have learned that to really live you must live in the present and look forward to the future. So, regrets have no place in my life. They hold you back and make you sad. The present and future are full of hope and new challenges.

01/26/2013 new
I wouldn't have left the church as a young adult and been gone so long. I came back 7.5 years ago and will NEVER leave again! rosary
01/26/2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-938565 said: I would not change a thing. Everything that has happened in my life, good,bad, pleasurable,painfu...
(Quote) Kevin-938565 said:

I would not change a thing. Everything that has happened in my life, good,bad, pleasurable,painful-EVERYTHING, has left it's influence on me and in it's part shaped the person I am today. Without those experiences I would be a different person. And I am happy with the person I am today. My faith is unshakeable and God has plans for us all. Everything happens for a reason even if we don't know or understand that reason. It's all according to God's plan. so No, I would change nothing that has ever happened.

--hide--

Kevin, I think you have the right idea - every circumstance in our lives formed us to who we are today.

My mother loved the name Kevin - she would always say Kevin, the nearest thing to heaven wink

01/26/2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-938565 said: I would not change a thing. Everything that has happened in my life, good,bad, pleasurable,painfu...

I would not change a thing. Everything that has happened in my life, good,bad, pleasurable,painful-EVERYTHING, has left it's influence on me and in it's part shaped the person I am today. Without those experiences I would be a different person. And I am happy with the person I am today. My faith is unshakeable and God has plans for us all. Everything happens for a reason even if we don't know or understand that reason. It's all according to God's plan. so No, I would change nothing that has ever happened.

--hide--
You have good thoughts on this, Kevin, and you stated it more succintly and clearly than I did. I can immediately point to two events in my life that on first blush I wish I could change; my marriage to my non-Catholic ex-wife and not being at my father's bedside in the hospital when he died. But the experience of marrying and subsequently divorcing my ex-wife made me stronger in the Faith as it polarized me deeper into the tenets and traditions of the Catholic Faith, and to this day I still feel it was God's will that I was the only member of my immediate family who was not able to be with my father as he died. As the only son I felt it was God's wish that I had to be the strong one in my family to help my mother and sisters through the transition in the ensuing days and weeks following his death. To regret past events is natural, to dwell upon them is understandable, to desire to change them without considering the gifts we have gained from them might be in contravention to Our Lord's will.

01/26/2013 new

This is a good question! And, I have thought on it and thought on it as well lol. I don't think I would do anything over again either, except for this:

Allow myself to believe that I don't have to sacrifice all of my wants for everyone else's wants. Not talking major selfish things, just even little things like, not caving in to go to a fish place when I really hate fish even though everyone else wanted to go the fish place when its my birthday lol. . .or not asking for something I'd really enjoy for a special occasion because it might be a little expensive and it wouldn't be fair to ask and place an undue burden on someone else. wow -- I guess that it is okay to ask for and want and maybe even expect some things without it making you shallow or selfish or burdensome or overly concerned with the material things.

01/26/2013 new

Nope, no "do overs." I have grown through my mistakes. I used to wish my firstborn was older so I could do things with him, then he died of sudden infant death syndrome. He taught me to savor every moment w/my loved ones, so when I had 3 more children I tried to do that. He also taught me not to be afraid of death, so when I met a sweet widower years after my divorce, we fell in love. I wasn't afraid to hear him talk of his late wife; I knew he needed that. And I felt so secure in his love. Well, he died only 5-1/2 months after we met. But I knew good love from a good man, even if it was short.

So I will take what God gives me, and try to live in the now, and work for a good place in the Hereafter.

01/26/2013 new

Made a career of the military instead of leaving after 4 years.

01/26/2013 new

--hide--
Amen, When I first read this question was thinking along very similar lines as your answer.

Posts 31 - 40 of 83