Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

01/25/2013 new
My recipe for Mac and Cheese: Remove tray from carton, cut film cover to vent, microwave on high 6 minutes, let stand in microwave one minute. Serve with lemonade and cupcakes. (Coincidentally this is also my recipe for happiness.)
01/25/2013 new
(Quote) John-746882 said: My recipe for Mac and Cheese: Remove tray from carton, cut film cover to vent, microwave on high 6 minutes, let st...
(Quote) John-746882 said: My recipe for Mac and Cheese: Remove tray from carton, cut film cover to vent, microwave on high 6 minutes, let stand in microwave one minute. Serve with lemonade and cupcakes. (Coincidentally this is also my recipe for happiness.)
--hide--

John,

I am smiling while reading your post, but I have to affectionately say--YUK!

I was just discussing with someone about how good cooks know which foods go together well. E.g., which wines enhance meat or seafood. While I don't do too much wine drinking, this is good to know in making the appropriate sauces that are yummy.

Bachelors can do good with a crock-pot and a good crock-pot cookbook. Both are pretty inexpensive. But if you cook meat in a crock-pot, be sure to brown the meat first, and use the crock-pot mostly for stewing.
01/25/2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: My recipe for Mac and Cheese: Remove tray from carton, cut film cover to vent, microwave on high 6 minute...
(Quote) John-746882 said: My recipe for Mac and Cheese: Remove tray from carton, cut film cover to vent, microwave on high 6 minutes, let stand in microwave one minute. Serve with lemonade and cupcakes. (Coincidentally this is also my recipe for happiness.)
--hide--

What kind of cupcakes and how do you ever get a good crust on the mac n cheese this way? or maybe you do?

01/25/2013 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: (Quote) John-746882 said: My recipe for Mac and Cheese: Remove tray from carton, cu...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:
Quote:
John-746882 said: My recipe for Mac and Cheese: Remove tray from carton, cut film cover to vent, microwave on high 6 minutes, let stand in microwave one minute. Serve with lemonade and cupcakes. (Coincidentally this is also my recipe for happiness.)

John,

I am smiling while reading your post, but I have to affectionately say--YUK!

I was just discussing with someone about how good cooks know which foods go together well. E.g., which wines enhance meat or seafood. While I don't do too much wine drinking, this is good to know in making the appropriate sauces that are yummy.

Bachelors can do good with a crock-pot and a good crock-pot cookbook. Both are pretty inexpensive. But if you cook meat in a crock-pot, be sure to brown the meat first, and use the crock-pot mostly for stewing.
--hide--

Thanks for posting! So if a guy wants to use his crockpot- he needs to get up in the morning and brown the meat in oil and herbs and then put the meat into the crockpot on high with a bit of red wine, a bay leaf and some herbs (thyme, basil, salt, pepper- freshly ground) and what else? more wine? Doesn't this sound good? I need to do what I am saying....AND SOON.

Cooking Threads are one way to bring PEACE angel to the forums. They get us all focused differently and it helps us channel our frustration and hunger... onto some way to qwell it---- and some have even met spouses on a cookie thread for example.... IT HAS HAPPENED! angel Happy Birthday!

01/26/2013 new
I am a proponent of a nice-looking table as well. Would actually prefer a good home-cooked meal to one cooked in a restaurant. Formal-styled, or maybe just styled dinner or even lunch is fun. Someone in another thread mentioned going to a "tea house." Oh, women like to do tea parties!!!!

And dress up fashionable! Fun, fun, fun

Making a beautiful table to enhance the visibility aspects of the food is a good thing, and it is fun to put together. Pretty or man-styled dishes, place mats, napkins and flatware, centerpieces are not expensive to collect, and are easily changed. fluffy

I don't know about the hungry-man concept, but I do know that the dining room table is a good place to break bread, and discuss the stuff that people want to discuss, without the watchful eyes of strangers.
01/26/2013 new
And also, it is customized romanc, yet not expensive.
01/26/2013 new
Yikes! weeping ROMANCE!!!!!!!
01/26/2013 new
Sadly Marian my recipe lacks bread crumbs on the top of the Mac and cheese. My Mom used to make us Mac and cheese in a big yellow bowl and it would have a crust of bread crumbs on the top, which was by far everyone's favorite part. It's too bad none of us learned how to do that from her. The cupcakes--I'd recommend store bought chocolate and vanilla iced cupcakes. "Store bought" is my recipe for most things.
01/26/2013 new
Thanks for the crock pot cookbook advice Sue. I may have to invest in both (the cookbook and the crockpot). One thing I found in my experience as a connoisseur of food though, is that a fine lemonade goes well with most any meal. My favorite is Simply Lemonade, or if you prefer a red, Simply Lemonade with raspberry. Natures Promise also has a very good bouquet, along with complexity and character. I would steer away from many of the other lemonade brands, but there are some good lesser known brands. My opinion on cupcakes: Cupcakes are yummy.
01/26/2013 new
Hi Marian! Sure, would be happy to share the recipe...it's actually kind of 2 recipes combined but I will give you the basic one and then my additions.....disclaimer....this is my first time trying this...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! 1 lb cubed beef stew meat 2 cups thinly sliced carrots 1 cup thinly sliced celery I pound sliced mushrooms ( my addition) 3/4 cup chopped green pepper 1 large onion diced 1/2 cup barley ( I like more barley so will increase to 3/4 cup or more, so will increase liquid accordingly) 1/4 cup chopped parsley ( not a big parsley fan, so am leaving this out) 4 beef bouillon cubes 1 ten oz can beef broth 2 t. Salt 3/4 t. Dried basil 2 T. Catsup ( I'm going to add a half cup of sherry instead of catsup) Ok, now, spray some cooking spray on inside of crock pot (optional) put a layer of meat and vegetables first, then on top of that pour your barley, beef broth and spices, and then cover it all with water...do not stir. Cook on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. That's it! I would check it off and on to see if the liquid is sufficient. Good luck and Bon Appetite!! 5 cups water
Posts 21 - 30 of 69