Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: When did you last ave this meal? Perhaps you want to share a recipe?
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

When did you last ave this meal? Perhaps you want to share a recipe?

--hide--

I haven't had bacon flavored meat loaf, I just want it! I don't cook, I just eat. What's a recipe?

Words to live by that I tell my grandchildren all the time...to irritate my children.

Eat until you are tired, sleep until you are hungry.

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: When did you last ave this meal? Perhaps y...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

When did you last ave this meal? Perhaps you want to share a recipe?

I haven't had bacon flavored meat loaf, I just want it! I don't cook, I just eat. What's a recipe?

Words to live by that I tell my grandchildren all the time...to irritate my children.

--hide--

This is cute.. and it seem I have hit the right nerve that I wanted to hit withALL OF YOU MEN-- hug ------COMFORT------ hug -------------------------------------------

I WILL figure out how to make this most delicious IDEA you have come up with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tongue

I love that MOTTO!!!! I LOVE IT!!! IT IS perfect Tom. Here is another hug to lull you to sleep after your meal!

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: Nice idea, Marian ... my mother used to make an awesome chicken dumpling soup. I just can't ...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

Nice idea, Marian ... my mother used to make an awesome chicken dumpling soup. I just can't seem to get the dumplings right. Someone on here told me to just use some Bisquick, but I want something a bit more homemade.

Suggestions, recipes anyone?

--hide--

Do you know how to make egg drop dumplings. My mom showed me how when I was real young using fresh egg tolks and flour woth just a touch of milk. I don't have a recipe, but I start with a few cups of flour, a little bit of salt, and enough egg yolks to make a real stiff dough and I mix in enough whole milk to where I can drop it in the pot of chicken broth a teaspoon at a time using 2 spoons of course.

Here is a recipe for cornmeal dumplings that is real good in soup I make with chicken broth, green beans, onions, new potatoes and smoked sausage. It might taste good in chicken and dumpling soup.

1 cup all-purpose cornmeal

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 small onion, chopped

1egg

2/3 cup liquid from the soup

Mix together and use 2 spoons to carefully drop into the pot, making sure that ech dunpling is covere by liquid by shaking the pot. DO NOT STIR. Bring soup to a boil for about 10 minutes

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said: Talking about food, the following will definitely get this hungry man's attention: 1. spicy...
(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said:

Talking about food, the following will definitely get this hungry man's attention: 1. spicy seafood dish, 2. lamb chops or rack-o-lamb , or 3. good old fashioned steak

--hide--

Your making some ladies mouths water.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: I haven't had bacon flavored meat loaf, I just want it! I don't cook, I just eat. Wh...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

--hide--

Pork Pot Roast is a favorite in our house hold. I love the way it smells when it is cooking in the oven. I stick garlic cloves and chopped onions deep down to the bone so that you get the flavor and I like to use red onions, yukon gold potatoes, carrots, some chicken broth when I make it. Save the wine for sipping.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: Pork Pot Roast is a favorite in our house hold. I love the way it smells when it is ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

Pork Pot Roast is a favorite in our house hold. I love the way it smells when it is cooking in the oven. I stick garlic cloves and chopped onions deep down to the bone so that you get the flavor and I like to use red onions, yukon gold potatoes, carrots, some chicken broth when I make it. Save the wine for sipping.

--hide--

Here are a couple of man pleasers that can be done both on the stove top or in a crockpot. The roast beef or pork roast debris is very similar to your pork roast recipe.

Red Beans and Rice

2 lbs. Red beans

1 lb. Smoked sausage

1 lb. Ham

1/4 lb. Ham fat, rendered

1 Ham bone

1/2 lb. Onions, diced

1/4 lb. Green onions, diced

3 oz. Garlic, minced

2 Bay leaves

1/2 tsp. Thyme

1/3 tsp. Salt

1/4 tsp. Black pepper

2 qt. Chicken stock

2 qt. Debris Gravy

Render ham fat in skillet. Remove cracklins from the remaining fat. Sauté
sausage and grade A ham. Add onions, bell pepper and green until tender. Add
garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves. Add red beans and stir into
vegetables. Add stock and debris gravy. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer
until red beans are tender and become creamy.

Roast Beef or Pork Roast Debris and Gravy Recipe

1 Beef Chuck Roast ( 2 ½ pounds) or Pork Loin (bone in) Roast

3 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced

Kosher Salt & Black Pepper

Cayenne

3 Tbsp lard or vegetable oil

1 small onion, diced

1 small carrot, diced

1 small bell pepper, diced

1 cup beef stock

1 cup chicken stock

Water if necessary

2 Tbsp Worchester Sauce

1 Tbsp Hot Sauce

2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme

1 Fresh Bay Leaf

Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Cut small slits into the roast, about every 3 inches, try not to pierce all the way to the bottom. Stuff the sliced garlic into the slits. Season the Roast very liberally on all sides with the salt and pepper, season with Cayenne to your taste, I don’t use much. Heat the fat in a heavy bottomed Dutch Oven over high heat, when the oil starts to smoke, wait a few more seconds, then carefully add the Roast cut side down. Brown very well on all sides, without burning it. Remove to a plate.

Drain off all but 1 Tbsp of the fat in the pan, add the onions, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook until the onions just start to brown. Place the roast back in the pan, then add the stocks. Finish with enough water to bring the cooking liquid 3/4 of the way up the roast. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then back down to a simmer. Simmer covered for 3-4 hours or until the meat falls apart by staring at it.

For the Debris Gravy:

Carve the meat into very thin slices, it will be hard to do and will fall apart, that is good. All of the bits and pieces, that fall off are your Debris.
Add all of the bits and chunks to your cooking liquid after skimming off the fat from the surface, keep the carved meat with a little liquid on a warm plate, covered tightly with foil. Bring the gravy to a full boil and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

You can serve Debris over fried eggs, over biscuits, or as a Poor Boy. C’est Bon!

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: Your making some ladies mouths water.
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

Your making some ladies mouths water.

--hide--
Yeah! I have that effect on women! laughing

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Beverly-936499 said: Here are a couple of man pleasers that can be done both on the stove top or in a cr...
(Quote) Beverly-936499 said:

Here are a couple of man pleasers that can be done both on the stove top or in a crockpot. The roast beef or pork roast debris is very similar to your pork roast recipe.

Red Beans and Rice

2 lbs. Red beans

1 lb. Smoked sausage

1 lb. Ham

1/4 lb. Ham fat, rendered

1 Ham bone

1/2 lb. Onions, diced

1/4 lb. Green onions, diced

3 oz. Garlic, minced

2 Bay leaves

1/2 tsp. Thyme

1/3 tsp. Salt

1/4 tsp. Black pepper

2 qt. Chicken stock

2 qt. Debris Gravy

Render ham fat in skillet. Remove cracklins from the remaining fat. Sauté
sausage and grade A ham. Add onions, bell pepper and green until tender. Add
garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, bay leaves. Add red beans and stir into
vegetables. Add stock and debris gravy. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer
until red beans are tender and become creamy.

Roast Beef or Pork Roast Debris and Gravy Recipe

1 Beef Chuck Roast ( 2 ½ pounds) or Pork Loin (bone in) Roast

3 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced

Kosher Salt & Black Pepper

Cayenne

3 Tbsp lard or vegetable oil

1 small onion, diced

1 small carrot, diced

1 small bell pepper, diced

1 cup beef stock

1 cup chicken stock

Water if necessary

2 Tbsp Worchester Sauce

1 Tbsp Hot Sauce

2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme

1 Fresh Bay Leaf

Kosher Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Cut small slits into the roast, about every 3 inches, try not to pierce all the way to the bottom. Stuff the sliced garlic into the slits. Season the Roast very liberally on all sides with the salt and pepper, season with Cayenne to your taste, I don’t use much. Heat the fat in a heavy bottomed Dutch Oven over high heat, when the oil starts to smoke, wait a few more seconds, then carefully add the Roast cut side down. Brown very well on all sides, without burning it. Remove to a plate.

Drain off all but 1 Tbsp of the fat in the pan, add the onions, carrots, and bell pepper. Cook until the onions just start to brown. Place the roast back in the pan, then add the stocks. Finish with enough water to bring the cooking liquid 3/4 of the way up the roast. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then back down to a simmer. Simmer covered for 3-4 hours or until the meat falls apart by staring at it.

For the Debris Gravy:

Carve the meat into very thin slices, it will be hard to do and will fall apart, that is good. All of the bits and pieces, that fall off are your Debris.
Add all of the bits and chunks to your cooking liquid after skimming off the fat from the surface, keep the carved meat with a little liquid on a warm plate, covered tightly with foil. Bring the gravy to a full boil and reduce until it coats the back of a spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

You can serve Debris over fried eggs, over biscuits, or as a Poor Boy. C’est Bon!

--hide--

Sounds like something I would want to serve on Super Bowl Sunday and it sounds great!

Jan 31st 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: up here in Minnesota, we'd call that a "Tator Tot Hot Dish" ... sounds yum...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

up here in Minnesota, we'd call that a "Tator Tot Hot Dish" ... sounds yummy

--hide--

Here is a version of shephards pie my mother wants me to try

www.cookingchanneltv.com

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: I haven't had bacon flavored meat loaf, I just want it! I don't cook, I just eat. Wh...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

--hide--

I love that quote!

I would think it would be pretty easy to add bacon to meatloaf....I will have to try that sometime.

Tonight our meal was:
Venison steak w/ onions and gr pepper in a tomato sauce over spaghetti. Yum

Posts 51 - 60 of 69