Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

You get a Gold Star!

Has anyone been following the story about the social hoax (scam) upon the Notre Dame football star?

Although so far, there has been no crime, as far as I know, the story will be air on 20/20 tonight on tv. The footbar star will be interviewed.

Currently the incident is being called a "hoax," but I think that it is important to follow this story, for those of us involved in internet communications in the dating world. I believe that this type of "joke" upon others could best be descripbed as "social fraud."
Jan 25th 2013 new
I think that the football player involved is brave now, despite errors surrounding the incident, to be interviewed regarding this, and should be applauded. Others, like us, would be alerted that these types of people are "out there," and that this type of "hoax" could happen again.

With hope, his unfortunate experience will bring to light just how cruel people can be to others, especially via the internet, where it seems, we loose some of our basic ethics regarding humanity.

These are real people here. I still think that some of these types of problems could begin to be solved by a simple voluntary verification of parish attendence, and/or an exchange of parish verifications between the women and men here at some point of establishing relationships.

Any thoughts anyone?
Jan 25th 2013 new
I guess maybe "winter" is a more important topic.
Jan 25th 2013 new

Hi Jacqueline, wave

I think there's still another active thread on this matter. www.catholicmatch.com

I think the latest that I heard was that he was duped into an solely online relationship with a woman who apparently faked a death, then he embellished this relationship for whatever reasons to make it sound like they had met and that he was mourning her death. He later found out that she was alive, and apparently kept the whole thing going - saying that she was his girlfriend, that she had died. I found the "investigative journalism" a bit over the top. He's a football player - I don't need to know the timeline of the hoax he was entangled in. I feel sorry for how the media has treated him, and although he was a victim of this woman's lies, to some extent he is responsible for trying to magnify his public image based on someone he hadn't even actually met, apparently.

Jan 25th 2013 new
(Quote) Angela-374523 said: Hi Jacqueline, I think there's still another active thread on this matter. http://www.catholicm...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

Hi Jacqueline,

I think there's still another active thread on this matter. www.catholicmatch.com

I think the latest that I heard was that he was duped into an solely online relationship with a woman who apparently faked a death, then he embellished this relationship for whatever reasons to make it sound like they had met and that he was mourning her death. He later found out that she was alive, and apparently kept the whole thing going - saying that she was his girlfriend, that she had died. I found the "investigative journalism" a bit over the top. He's a football player - I don't need to know the timeline of the hoax he was entangled in. I feel sorry for how the media has treated him, and although he was a victim of this woman's lies, to some extent he is responsible for trying to magnify his public image based on someone he hadn't even actually met, apparently.

--hide--

Thanks for responding, but there have been some major developments since you read the story.

For one thing, the issue involves not a woman and a man, but a cruel hoax that a man played on this college football player for Notre Dame University.

Notre Dame University actually led the investigation regarding the issue impacting this football star at the University. It involved a man who gathered a woman's photos based on false pretenses, and subsequently fabricated a longtime running hoax in acting as an online woman of a fabricated name, and the unsuspecting woman's photos.

The online "relationship" included fabricated phone calls as well in which the football player was involved. He did not ever met anyone, but considered this fabricated woman as with girlfriend.
Jan 25th 2013 new
I think that the moral of the story is-----meet in person before becoming significantly involved with anyone. The press is having a lot of fun with this story.
Jan 25th 2013 new
An interview with the football player will air on 20/20 tonight at 10:00pm PST (ABC)

I am anxious to hear what the football player has to say about why he would let an online/phone relationship go on for so long, so significantly, without meeting this "woman" in person.
Posts 1 - 7 of 7