Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Bernadette, I was looking for a thread like this yesterday but couldn't find any so I posted ...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Bernadette, I was looking for a thread like this yesterday but couldn't find any so I posted the following text in another thread. Sorry for the re-posting but I couldn't delete the old one.

Most of us know that we are made of billions of various molecules which in turn are made up of billions and billions of atoms. Those atoms are in turn made up of electrons, protons and neutrons. But how many are aware of the fact that one single proton in any one of those atoms is made up of other particles in a number which is in the same ballpark as the total number of atoms in the whole body, moving around in speeds very close to that of light? The number of particles inside the proton isn't fixed either but constantly changing. Yet the mass of the proton remains the same.

To make it even more amazing: particles inside our protons (and neutrons too for that matter) are sort of popping in and out of existence. They appear in the form of a pair of matter and anti-matter particles called quarks (and anti-quarks) which comes in four types: up quark, down quark, top quark, bottom quark, strange quark and finally the charm quark. There is another type of particle holding the quarks together called gluon which occurs in even larger number still inside a proton.

And this is only a hint of the magic inside one single proton. I like to remind myself of this every time I find myself being a little too big headed in terms of knowledge.

--hide--
"All the efforts of the human mind cannot exhaust the essence of a single fly." St. Thomas Aquinas theheart

Feb 2nd 2013 new
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell? :)
Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) John-759808 said: Q: What did one uranium-238 nucleus say to the other? A: "Gotta split!"
(Quote) John-759808 said: Q: What did one uranium-238 nucleus say to the other?

A: "Gotta split!"
--hide--
I think this comment is purely Science-Fission

laughing

Romance Hint: Never go out with a Radiologist they are to Negative! scratchchin laughing

If the Red Sea crossing had happened in Australia it would have been a case of Aus-Moses!! faint

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Christie-910934 said: Does the name Pavlov ring a bell? :)
(Quote) Christie-910934 said: Does the name Pavlov ring a bell? :)
--hide--
It doggon does!Woof!

A carrot was asked, 'Why are you dating a mushroom? Don't you know mixed marriages break up easier!

The carrot replied, 'Well I heard he was a FUN-GUY! eyepopping

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Tom-54311 said: No nerd here, but I read on the Drudge report that there is supposed to be a huge comet goin...
(Quote) Tom-54311 said:

No nerd here, but I read on the Drudge report that there is supposed to be a huge comet going past earth in Nov. or Dec of this year. It is supposed to be brighter than a full moon.

--hide--

Is that the one that's coming back in a couple decades, the one NASA seems to be a teeny bit worried about?

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: I am a nerd by heredity. My dad is a Physics buff and he gave me this groaner: A Higgs-Bos...
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

I am a nerd by heredity. My dad is a Physics buff and he gave me this groaner:

A Higgs-Boson particle walked into a Catholic church one day.

Father looked up and said, "Oh good. We can have mass."

--hide--

That is awesome! LOL I love nerdy humor! laughing

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Margo-404841 said: I am loving this thread, guys -- the puns, the fascinating science. Here's my addition: <...
(Quote) Margo-404841 said:

I am loving this thread, guys -- the puns, the fascinating science. Here's my addition: Homeostasis is a process in science where things return to their original status after change. The marriage and family therapy field liked this term and adapted it to use it when a family, couple or some other group changes, but somebody isn't comfortable with the change, so the mother in law, or wife, or child or whomever, acts challenging to bring out the past negative behavior.

About the tractor beam: Yeah, Scotty, tractor beam me up a boyfriend!

--hide--

Interesting! I've never heard of homeostatis being used that way before, but it makes sense - people often attempt, even unconsciously, to keep things the way they've always known them to be, the way they're comfortable with them being. Not always a good thing!

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: tinyurl.com
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

tinyurl.com

--hide--

Oh my...that's way over my head lol embarassed

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-605528 said: Oh my...that's way over my head lol
(Quote) Bernadette-605528 said:

Oh my...that's way over my head lol

--hide--

Don't worry -- the light will come on!

laughing laughing

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Bernadette, I was looking for a thread like this yesterday but couldn't find any so I posted ...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Bernadette, I was looking for a thread like this yesterday but couldn't find any so I posted the following text in another thread. Sorry for the re-posting but I couldn't delete the old one.

Most of us know that we are made of billions of various molecules which in turn are made up of billions and billions of atoms. Those atoms are in turn made up of electrons, protons and neutrons. But how many are aware of the fact that one single proton in any one of those atoms is made up of other particles in a number which is in the same ballpark as the total number of atoms in the whole body, moving around in speeds very close to that of light? The number of particles inside the proton isn't fixed either but constantly changing. Yet the mass of the proton remains the same.

To make it even more amazing: particles inside our protons (and neutrons too for that matter) are sort of popping in and out of existence. They appear in the form of a pair of matter and anti-matter particles called quarks (and anti-quarks) which comes in four types: up quark, down quark, top quark, bottom quark, strange quark and finally the charm quark. There is another type of particle holding the quarks together called gluon which occurs in even larger number still inside a proton.

And this is only a hint of the magic inside one single proton. I like to remind myself of this every time I find myself being a little too big headed in terms of knowledge.

--hide--

Hi Peter! No worries. This sort of description really makes me wish I had time to study physics! It sounds fascinating and incredibly complex. Walks outside in a park do the same thing for me - I mean, they help bring me down a notch when I'm feeling a little too big headed, too - just looking at the complexity of the natural world, with all the forms I could never have dreamed up myself. It's humbling!

Posts 31 - 40 of 51