Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

02/25/2013 new

I was thiking about your comment about how the Catholic church avoids evangelizing in predominately muslim countries. If that is the case, that is a sad plight because through out history the most dramatic conversions came about due to Martyrs and miracles and that would indicate a loss of both, so where is the real Christianity. Also, I've read lots of stories about evangelizing that took place in China against laws there where Bibles were snuck in and by guards who looked at them directly and still didn't even see them. I'm not saying that I'm strong enough, but I do believe there are people out there that are. This man was definitely visiting family and not evangelizing as that is where he was born; but in the end he was forced into being a modern day martyr. I just heard today that he was allowed to send home his second letter to his family here and in that letter he said that they were trying to force him to renounce Christ by torturing him, but he was still refusing to do it. Who knows after 8 years though because in that pure hell of a prison of theirs where they put him, that is how much they gave him without a real trial or cause. If he stays there for 8 years being tortured, he could lose his mind, I imagine. I really pray for a miracle for him.

03/22/2013 new

I've learned that he might be moved to a hospital because he is seriously injured because of all the torture. Unfortunately, the state department (of course this one) would not send anyone to his trial to help him. He was just there visiting family since he is from there originally. I didn't see that they asked for a lot of info and it was for our congress. I heard senators might finally encourage the state dept. to do something.

03/22/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I've learned that he might be moved to a hospital because he is seriously injured because of...
(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said:

I've learned that he might be moved to a hospital because he is seriously injured because of all the torture. Unfortunately, the state department (of course this one) would not send anyone to his trial to help him. He was just there visiting family since he is from there originally. I didn't see that they asked for a lot of info and it was for our congress. I heard senators might finally encourage the state dept. to do something.

--hide--
Secretary Kerry steps up:

www.foxnews.com

03/22/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I've learned that he might be moved to a hospital because he is seriously injured because of...

--hide--

The pastor's plight is something the administration should address forcefully.

That being said, the Pastor was not JUST visiting family. While visiting family he wa also engaged in evangelization. That is a Christians calling. But to do so in Iran contrary to their laws, as bad as that law is, is a problem.

It is this or any US adminstration's job to protect American citizens where ever they are. They also have an obligation to try to get Iran to pay heed to the treaty to which they are a signatory that calls for freedom of religion.

03/23/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: The pastor's plight is something the administration should address forcefully.
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

The pastor's plight is something the administration should address forcefully.

That being said, the Pastor was not JUST visiting family. While visiting family he wa also engaged in evangelization. That is a Christians calling. But to do so in Iran contrary to their laws, as bad as that law is, is a problem.

It is this or any US adminstration's job to protect American citizens where ever they are. They also have an obligation to try to get Iran to pay heed to the treaty to which they are a signatory that calls for freedom of religion.

--hide--
...and where did you hear that he wasn't there visiting his family. Everything I have heard says he was! Also, if you read the article above that Peter just posted, it mentions how he has been traveling back and forth between the two countries for a while but this time they just pulled him off the bus....to make an example of him, perhaps. There are other intersting facts mentioned in the article about freedom of religion, etc. What amazes me is that the state department is just NOW getting involved. Hillary and Obama would not prior to the man becoming seriously injured...perhaps if he died without them doing something that would be one more mark on their record....who knows.

03/23/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: ...and where did you hear that he wasn't there visiting his family. Everything I have heard ...

...and where did you hear that he wasn't there visiting his family. Everything I have heard says he was! Also, if you read the article above that Peter just posted, it mentions how he has been traveling back and forth between the two countries for a while but this time they just pulled him off the bus....to make an example of him, perhaps. There are other intersting facts mentioned in the article about freedom of religion, etc. What amazes me is that the state department is just NOW getting involved. Hillary and Obama would not prior to the man becoming seriously injured...perhaps if he died without them doing something that would be one more mark on their record....who knows.

--hide--

I did not say he was not visiting his family. I did say that while he was there he was evangelizing.

I heard it on the program by the law and justice center that has been collecting signatures on petitions to both the Administration and the UN for his release. Not because he did not break Iranian law but on the basis that Iran is a signatory to the UIN treaty requiring religious freedom in the Country and that their laws violated the treaty.

An Iranian Attorney who previously represented the Pastor in Iran and won acquittal for him on previous charges, was himself jailed, tried and convicted for obtaining that acquittal.

03/24/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I did not say he was not visiting his family. I did say that while he was there he was ev...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

I did not say he was not visiting his family. I did say that while he was there he was evangelizing.

I heard it on the program by the law and justice center that has been collecting signatures on petitions to both the Administration and the UN for his release. Not because he did not break Iranian law but on the basis that Iran is a signatory to the UIN treaty requiring religious freedom in the Country and that their laws violated the treaty.

An Iranian Attorney who previously represented the Pastor in Iran and won acquittal for him on previous charges, was himself jailed, tried and convicted for obtaining that acquittal.

--hide--
In that country, I'd say that was a dangerous job....here lawyers fear nothing but not winning the major mula they are paid.

03/24/2013 new

(Quote) Cheryl-409772 said: I was thiking about your comment about how the Catholic church avoids evangelizing in predominat...

I was thiking about your comment about how the Catholic church avoids evangelizing in predominately muslim countries. If that is the case, that is a sad plight because through out history the most dramatic conversions came about due to Martyrs and miracles and that would indicate a loss of both, so where is the real Christianity. Also, I've read lots of stories about evangelizing that took place in China against laws there where Bibles were snuck in and by guards who looked at them directly and still didn't even see them. I'm not saying that I'm strong enough, but I do believe there are people out there that are. This man was definitely visiting family and not evangelizing as that is where he was born; but in the end he was forced into being a modern day martyr. I just heard today that he was allowed to send home his second letter to his family here and in that letter he said that they were trying to force him to renounce Christ by torturing him, but he was still refusing to do it. Who knows after 8 years though because in that pure hell of a prison of theirs where they put him, that is how much they gave him without a real trial or cause. If he stays there for 8 years being tortured, he could lose his mind, I imagine. I really pray for a miracle for him.

--hide--

God bless him I'm no Catholic scholar. ....but I thought that evangelizing was one of the key elements of our faith.

Can't say I could hold up and not renounce Him. I will pray for his release.

03/25/2013 new

Signed and said a prayer for him - Praying Praying Praying

Posts 21 - 29 of 29