Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Kristen -- It's not the age that's important -- it's the mileage....
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Kristen -- It's not the age that's important -- it's the mileage....

--hide--

That's a great comment Ray! But again, I agree! I just was looking for some insight as to why there is a derogatory term for a woman in a relationship with a younger man when there is no stigma for men with a younger woman.

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Actually Sally, some men are capable of having children until death, but some (mayb...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Actually Sally, some men are capable of having children until death, but some (maybe most) are not for a variety of reasons (some of which are due to dropoff in testosterone level that happens as men age.) Also, women are quite capable of having children very successfully in their 40's and even early 50's, however, the rate of Down's syndrome and perhaps other genetic diseases does increase after age 30-35 (and not just for the women, the increase in genetic disease in the newborn also does increase as the man's age increases). And, although women do generally mature earlier than men, this is significant really only when women are in their teens or early twenties, men do catch up to women by their mid-late 20's in emotional/psychological maturity - at least some do (sorry, I couldn't resist). And, since men on average die about 7 years before women, it would make a lot of sense for women to marry men about years younger if they want to spend the rest of their life together. (Of course, there are many exceptions to this, but these are the current statistics.)

--hide--

Good points Patricia! So basically there isn't a practical reason that would prevent a woman from marrying a younger man; so it comes back to the reality that women are breaking a social norm when they marry a younger man and therefore are given a nickname for doing so. But honestly, it's not such a bad name. Lion

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: (Quote) Dominick-174178 said: Hello Kristen, ...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: [quote]Dominick-174178 said:

Hello Kristen,

Well, basically speaking, it's nothing but a derogatory term...a label which tells of the trashy nature of contemporary society, and it's useage in this sense only shows the immaturity and ignorance

From what I understand, the cougar phenomenon has little, if not nothing, to do with dating, courtship, love or marriage. It has to do with sex. Older (usually attractive and financially secure) women going out on the town looking only for young energetic and eager men to sleep with with no commitments and young eager men on the prowl for older experienced women to sleep with with no commitments. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?

According to Wikipidia: "Cougar is a slang term referring to a woman who seeks sexual relations with considerably younger men this does not apply to those woman who have a stable and lasting relationship with their younger partner."

An older woman who truly loves a younger man should be insulted by being called a cougar.

The last time I went out on a girls night to a nice club/restauant with about 10 co-workers roughly my age, we were swarmed and vigorously pursued by young men in their 20's. I was stunned as I had not been at a club in many many years. They were not even looking at many young attractive women their own age. I was pretty turned off.

--hide--

Wow, if that indeed is what the term means, that is very sad. No, you would obviously not be alone in seeing something wrong with that. And your experience at the club is pretty surprising! That is what I was afraid this cougar thing was all about. But then I wasn't sure because the term is often used for women in a relationship with a younger man leading to marriage.

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: (Quote) Dominick-174178 said: Hello Kristen, ...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: [quote]Dominick-174178 said:

Hello Kristen,

Well, basically speaking, it's nothing but a derogatory term...a label which tells of the trashy nature of contemporary society, and it's useage in this sense only shows the immaturity and ignorance

From what I understand, the cougar phenomenon has little, if not nothing, to do with dating, courtship, love or marriage. It has to do with sex. Older (usually attractive and financially secure) women going out on the town looking only for young energetic and eager men to sleep with with no commitments and young eager men on the prowl for older experienced women to sleep with with no commitments. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?

According to Wikipidia: "Cougar is a slang term referring to a woman who seeks sexual relations with considerably younger men this does not apply to those woman who have a stable and lasting relationship with their younger partner."

An older woman who truly loves a younger man should be insulted by being called a cougar.

The last time I went out on a girls night to a nice club/restauant with about 10 co-workers roughly my age, we were swarmed and vigorously pursued by young men in their 20's. I was stunned as I had not been at a club in many many years. They were not even looking at many young attractive women their own age. I was pretty turned off.

--hide--

Oh I don't blame you, that's disgraceful!! We do, indeed, live in a society that, as a whole, has absolutely no sense of morality. Sadly enough, I've seen it in both the younger crowds, and also, many times...even in those who ought to be old enough to know better! It's downright sickening, as in this situation you mention, when we can see what the motives and intentions are of those who pursue in this fashion. I would hazard a guess that these fellows were not from 'respectable society'. Best to avoid those of this kind...at any cost, too!

Jan 29th 2013 new

As a UW Husky grad, I thought this was a thread about BYU/Houston/WSU football... :-( Oh well...

My dislike for all things related to "WSU Cougars" has suddenly taken an unexpected turn, however. (inside joke for someone on CM..)

God has quite a sense of humor this week....

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Good points Patricia! So basically there isn't a practical reason that would p...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

Good points Patricia! So basically there isn't a practical reason that would prevent a woman from marrying a younger man; so it comes back to the reality that women are breaking a social norm when they marry a younger man and therefore are given a nickname for doing so. But honestly, it's not such a bad name.

--hide--

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) ed-925050 said: As a UW Husky grad, I thought this was a thread about BYU/Houston/WSU football... :-( Oh well......
(Quote) ed-925050 said:

As a UW Husky grad, I thought this was a thread about BYU/Houston/WSU football... :-( Oh well...

My dislike for all things related to "WSU Cougars" has suddenly taken an unexpected turn, however. (inside joke for someone on CM..)

God has quite a sense of humor this week....

--hide--

Ha! Well, I wish you the best in your intense dislike for the WSU Cougars! Sorry you've been misled!

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Here's the third link: thecurrentconscience.com.

Here's the third link: thecurrentconscience.com

--hide--
Hi Kristen: I'am just wondering? Are you Thinking? to become a "Cougar"? laughing laughing laughing biggrin

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: Hi Kristen: I'am just wondering? Are you Thinking? to become a "Cougar"?
(Quote) Mike-646924 said:

Hi Kristen: I'am just wondering? Are you Thinking? to become a "Cougar"?

--hide--

To be completely honest Mike, no. At least there is no one particular in mind! smile I just like stirring up things! stir the pot! Its getting cold! But I wouldn't be opposed to a man younger than me if we were a match! wink

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: That's a great comment Ray! But again, I agree! I just was looking for some in...

That's a great comment Ray! But again, I agree! I just was looking for some insight as to why there is a derogatory term for a woman in a relationship with a younger man when there is no stigma for men with a younger woman.

--hide--
Occasionally I've been known to slip something in for levity.

The term cougar can have some negative undertones, but it is also oftentimes used kiddingly or lightheartedly with no malice intended. Why there is such a term, I really don't know. I suppose it's because a word hasn't been invented for the guys with younger women. Frequently, it's a phrase such as "robbing the cradle" which can be applied to both genders.

Perhaps some genius on CM can come up with a similar term for the male species.

On second thought -- that's not the best idea I've ever had.... laughing

As far as age is concerned, past a certain point in chronological terms, age shouldn't make a difference to others if it doesn't to the couple. It's their business. If they can make a romance work despite a noticeable age gap, more power to them. I consider them blessed and fortunate to have found each other.

Jan 29th 2013 new

(Quote) Mike-646924 said: Hi Kristen: I'am just wondering? Are you Thinking? to become a "Cougar"?
(Quote) Mike-646924 said:

Hi Kristen: I'am just wondering? Are you Thinking? to become a "Cougar"?

--hide--
Ouch, Mike -- you're gonna get it!!! Better get out your "Peace" sign.... laughing

Posts 21 - 30 of 147