Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Ouch, Mike -- you're gonna get it!!! Better get out your "Peace" sign....
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Ouch, Mike -- you're gonna get it!!! Better get out your "Peace" sign....

--hide--
laughing laughing laughing yeah Ray i better Duck and watch out too!!

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Nope. I'm don't play like that. Mike's just afraid us ladies are going...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

Nope. I'm don't play like that. Mike's just afraid us ladies are going to start a movement and go for the younger men...

--hide--
No i'am not laughing laughing laughing wink

Jan 30th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Well, hopefully that subject got your attention! I've seen several posts now related to ...

Well, hopefully that subject got your attention!

I've seen several posts now related to this topic. There is an article on the website www.catholicmatch.com about being a cougar. Donna has posted an article with a different perspective in another thread (www.catholicmatch.com. And here is the article she posted: thecurrentconscience.com

So here are my questions:

What is a cougar? Is it a woman who is pursuing a relationship with a younger man, or does it mean something else a bit more risqué?

IF being a cougar means a woman in a relationship with a younger man, why is it so threatening that a naughty sounding word is ascribed to the woman for doing this? There is no corresponding name for the man in such a relationship. (See the Current Conscience article for a discussion about the word Sugar Daddy not being a fair comparison)

So finally, what's wrong with being a cougar? And I'm not looking for lots of you to post "Nothing. It's what YOU want that matters." That's not what I'm asking - because apparently this behavior is disturbing enough to some that they need to label it. So let's just hear what's out there. By the way, the medieval obsession with "witches" was for very similar reasons. Very intriguing. Looking forward to some exciting discussion!

--hide--

The name for the guy is usually "Dirty Old Man!"
Jan 30th 2013 new

There is nothing wrong with being a "cougar" if that is what one prefers. I think it is a double standard if a man dates a woman 20 years younger it is not a big deal, but let a woman do it she is the talk of the town. Personally I would not feel comfortable dating men my sons age, but that is just me. I will be honest here I have been asked out by more younger men than I have men my own age or older. The man I am dating now is 3 years younger and the one before him was 5 years younger, and I do not consider myself to be a cougar.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Well, hopefully that subject got your attention! I've seen several posts now related...

I've seen several posts now related to this topic. There is an article on the website www.catholicmatch.com about being a cougar. Donna has posted an article with a different perspective in another thread (www.catholicmatch.com. And here is the article she posted: thecurrentconscience.com

What is a cougar? Is it a woman who is pursuing a relationship with a younger man, or does it mean something else a bit more risqué?

IF being a cougar means a woman in a relationship with a younger man, why is it so threatening that a naughty sounding word is ascribed to the woman for doing this? There is no corresponding name for the man in such a relationship. (See the Current Conscience article for a discussion about the word Sugar Daddy not being a fair comparison)

So finally, what's wrong with being a cougar? And I'm not looking for lots of you to post "Nothing. It's what YOU want that matters." That's not what I'm asking - because apparently this behavior is disturbing enough to some that they need to label it. So let's just hear what's out there. By the way, the medieval obsession with "witches" was for very similar reasons. Very intriguing. Looking forward to some exciting discussion!

--hide--

Have you forgotten that men who pursue young women are called "sugar daddies." Does not have the ring that "cougar" has, but still is often an accurate description.

Jan 30th 2013 new

I have friends where the husband is 10 years younger than his wife. He is older than his cronological years and she is younger than hers. The term cougar doesn't even remotely fit her. They seem so natural together. They are two people who are in love and have been married for more that 15 years now.

knight-errant + princess = heart

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Yes, Angela, I'm getting the impression that this is what the term means and that ...

Yes, Angela, I'm getting the impression that this is what the term means and that other times I've heard it used for a normal woman dating a younger man was an exception to the regular meaning.

--hide--

Hi Kristen, I think in this case it's more tongue and cheek and in most cases is not meant as derogatory. A cougar is an older woman who seeks out younger men in a sexually aggressive way and normally for only a sexual relationship.

Jan 30th 2013 new

I'm not really sure we are all clear about the term Cougar and the criterion that makes a woman a Cougar. The Name itself implies a predator, stalking, hunting for the purpose of satisfying a primal appetite. In my ealier years (20's Early 30"s) before the term Cougar hit the scene, my buddies and I would consider a woman 15+ years older (than anyone, because 10 years older really isn't enough) as a "Heater." Not that she wasn't hot or sexy however, in our superficial immaturity, "Hot" was reserved for ladies our age +/- 5 years.

So, Lets be clear about what prompted a culture to label a woman a Cougar. In the implied criterion, she is HOt and Sexy! meaning at her age she would turn a 20 year olds head. She is targeting a younger man and/or open to it. It is purely a physical criterion and not many woman can fit into the true meaning of Cougar. Because one is older than... doesn't make Her a true Cougar.

We are not talking about labeling a woman in her 60's+ having a relationship with a younger man as a Cougar. It only fits one category of the labeling - she is older. Its only she and her friends who chid her for dating a man younger in age. Which is quite cute and funny.

If whom we are calling a Cougar is simply a woman who is older than the man she is dating, I would say there are many couples in this arrangemant whom I would NOt consider the woman a Cougar.

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Actually Sally, some men are capable of having children until death, but some (mayb...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Actually Sally, some men are capable of having children until death, but some (maybe most) are not for a variety of reasons (some of which are due to dropoff in testosterone level that happens as men age.) Also, women are quite capable of having children very successfully in their 40's and even early 50's, however, the rate of Down's syndrome and perhaps other genetic diseases does increase after age 30-35 (and not just for the women, the increase in genetic disease in the newborn also does increase as the man's age increases). And, although women do generally mature earlier than men, this is significant really only when women are in their teens or early twenties, men do catch up to women by their mid-late 20's in emotional/psychological maturity - at least some do (sorry, I couldn't resist). And, since men on average die about 7 years before women, it would make a lot of sense for women to marry men about years younger if they want to spend the rest of their life together. (Of course, there are many exceptions to this, but these are the current statistics.)

--hide--

Thanks for posting this Patricia. I suppose I'm getting a bit off topic from the original post in this thread, but I can't tell you how many times in the forums various men have posted that they do not wish to date women over 35 because they want children, or that it is "dangerous" for women in their 30s to have children. wide eyed Or, that males somehow do not contribute to genetic conditions in their offspring.

Jan 30th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Well, hopefully that subject got your attention! I've seen several posts now related to ...

--hide--
Cougars are great
Posts 41 - 50 of 147