Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

02/01/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: A Light is shining on the truth. This is...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

A Light is shining on the truth.

This is shocking and yet not completely. We are going to go through more as Catholics.

www.fresnobee.com

In this year of Faith we must pray for vocations- for the truth to always prevail and for the victims of these crimes and our whole church community to be healed and cleansed.

GOD IS THE EMBODIMENT OF TRUTH.

Here is the scripture that came to me due to this truth we now are being allowed to see:

Malachi 4:2

But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall.

Any Church official who participated in covering up anything of this magnitude should be held accountable in a Court of Law and spend serious time in Prison.

I just hope that the Vatican DOES NOT suddenly find "important" work for them to do there so that they can escape the law as it did with Cardinal Law of Boston.

--hide--

IT is TIME, isn't it?

02/01/2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Thanks be to God! Do any of you remember the very public exchanges between Mother Angel...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Thanks be to God! Do any of you remember the very public exchanges between Mother Angelica and Cardinal Mahoney. At one point, she was forced to apologize to him onscreen on EWTN. She did, but did it in her own inimitable way so that it angered him even more. I believe he pulled every string he could to try to get her "fired" so to speak. Some of this is detailed in her bigraphy written by Raymond Arroyo. I always wondere why he was so antagonistic toward Mother Angelica as to me it seemed that she was only speaking the truth! So, at last, she is vindicated (I hope that she knows this, I'm not sure how much she realizes this day after her several strokes.) God always finds a way to bring the truth to light! Praise be to God!

--hide--

Patricia, was vindicated a long time ago. After the offical Vatican investigation, which I believe made recommendations in line with Cardinal Mahoney's stance, Pope John Paul II, confirmed her as Abbess and sent her the Monstrance he was given by the people of Krakow to use in her new Church.

She had been looking for a 10 foot monstrance and was about to special order it at a fairly stiff price. When the Pope's gift arrived, she canceled her plans and used the Pope's gift instead. It is, supposedly, the one placed above the Alter and always on display when no other liturgical function is in progress. It is the Monstrance before which her Nuns keep their Eucharistic vigil of adoration.

That action by the Pope ended Mahoney's attempt to discredit her, but he continued to lead the fight to wrest the network from her. The end of that story, of course, is that she outfoxed him even on that by turning over the network to the lay Board that runs it today, isolated and protected from manupulation by any other Bishop who might try the same coup.

If you remember, the whole brouhaha started when a listener sent her a copy of Pastoral Letter by Cardinal Mahoney on the Holy Eucharist, which Mother Angelica denounced as heresy on the air.

The final blow to Mahoney's attempt to discredit her was Pope Bendict's awarding of the Papal medal to her and the Deacon (a lawyer by profession whose name escapes me) who engineered the thwarting of Mahoney's plan to steal the network. He succeeded her as head of the Network.

02/03/2013 new

I have been reading online a bit about Cardinal Mahoney and what he and Bishop Curry did. I guess they weren't prosecuted because they settled out of court with that $660 million settlement, but honestly these men deserve to go to jail. They were the cause of so many children being sexually abused because they transferred priests around- even out-of-state (in fact warned one Mexican priest who had been in LA for 9 months and abused 30 children to flee the country and he is now a fugitive in Mexico). They would not send these abusive priests to psychological counsellors/therapists because they were afraid the priests would be reported to the police authorities.

I know Archbishop Gomez has relieved Cardinal Mahoney (and I truly do hate to refer to him as Cardinal at this point since he doesn't deserve it) of all public duties and Bishop Curry has resignes as bishop of Santa Barbara I think. But, there has to more done by the Catholic Church at this point. Where is the atonement. Just saying sorry is NOT enough here. And, Cardinal Mahoney is still eligible to vote in the College of Cardinals should Pope Benedict die within the next 2 years (when Mahoney reaches 80 and so will not be able to vote). I think Mahoney should resign immediately from the College of Cardinals - this seems obvious to me. Also, he is residing at a Parish in the LA area living a "normal" life. Shouldn't he be off in a monastery somewhere doing penance. I know he did a lot for immigrants, but that doesn't make up for this huge SIN and the irreparable damage done to hundreds (or is it thousands) of young boys and girls (yes, there were some girls abused too). And, ditto for Bishop Curry, if he can't be prosecuted and jailed, he should also take himself off to a monastery and spend the rest of his life doing penance for what he did. That, and I frankly think all of the victims should be allowed to meet face to face with both men and tell them how they destroyed their lives (maybe then they would realize the extent of their wrongdoing).

I think it is time for the bishops and archbishops and cardinals who did this serious wrong (also Cardinal Law and the others who have a serious level of wrongdoing in willfully allowing priests to continue ministering and, in fact, covered it up to be held to account - by the civil and criminal authorities and also by the Catholic Church. There is no way that our Catholic Church can grow and thrive unless it cleans out it's garbage instead of leaving it out on the street or even hiding it in the basement. It has to either figure out how to dispose of the garbage or recycle what it can. And, no, I am not calling these Bishops/Archbishops/Cardinals garbage, but trying to use an analogy here.

I am so disappointed in this, and hope and pray that the Popes and the Vatican were not complicit. I know they must have known something about these situations. I just hope that they were ignorant of most of it, and unaware of how serious this abuse was for the lives of the victims. It's time for the Pope and the Vatican and the College of Cardinals to clean house! I pray that this will happen now with this extreme, very sad, information coming to the light of day.

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I have been reading online a bit about Cardinal Mahoney and what he and Bishop Curry did. I gue...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I have been reading online a bit about Cardinal Mahoney and what he and Bishop Curry did. I guess they weren't prosecuted because they settled out of court with that $660 million settlement, but honestly these men deserve to go to jail. They were the cause of so many children being sexually abused because they transferred priests around- even out-of-state (in fact warned one Mexican priest who had been in LA for 9 months and abused 30 children to flee the country and he is now a fugitive in Mexico). They would not send these abusive priests to psychological counsellors/therapists because they were afraid the priests would be reported to the police authorities.

I know Archbishop Gomez has relieved Cardinal Mahoney (and I truly do hate to refer to him as Cardinal at this point since he doesn't deserve it) of all public duties and Bishop Curry has resignes as bishop of Santa Barbara I think. But, there has to more done by the Catholic Church at this point. Where is the atonement. Just saying sorry is NOT enough here. And, Cardinal Mahoney is still eligible to vote in the College of Cardinals should Pope Benedict die within the next 2 years (when Mahoney reaches 80 and so will not be able to vote). I think Mahoney should resign immediately from the College of Cardinals - this seems obvious to me. Also, he is residing at a Parish in the LA area living a "normal" life. Shouldn't he be off in a monastery somewhere doing penance. I know he did a lot for immigrants, but that doesn't make up for this huge SIN and the irreparable damage done to hundreds (or is it thousands) of young boys and girls (yes, there were some girls abused too). And, ditto for Bishop Curry, if he can't be prosecuted and jailed, he should also take himself off to a monastery and spend the rest of his life doing penance for what he did. That, and I frankly think all of the victims should be allowed to meet face to face with both men and tell them how they destroyed their lives (maybe then they would realize the extent of their wrongdoing).

I think it is time for the bishops and archbishops and cardinals who did this serious wrong (also Cardinal Law and the others who have a serious level of wrongdoing in willfully allowing priests to continue ministering and, in fact, covered it up to be held to account - by the civil and criminal authorities and also by the Catholic Church. There is no way that our Catholic Church can grow and thrive unless it cleans out it's garbage instead of leaving it out on the street or even hiding it in the basement. It has to either figure out how to dispose of the garbage or recycle what it can. And, no, I am not calling these Bishops/Archbishops/Cardinals garbage, but trying to use an analogy here.

I am so disappointed in this, and hope and pray that the Popes and the Vatican were not complicit. I know they must have known something about these situations. I just hope that they were ignorant of most of it, and unaware of how serious this abuse was for the lives of the victims. It's time for the Pope and the Vatican and the College of Cardinals to clean house! I pray that this will happen now with this extreme, very sad, information coming to the light of day.

--hide--

Hear! Heart!

I do not believe that either Mahoney or Curry are beyond the reach of the law. Hopefully, the California authorities will prosecute them.

Unfortunately, Law is out of civil authority reach. JPII called him to the Vatican where he resides.

02/03/2013 new

God will be the Judge and render due Justice.Pray for the victims, as well as these sick perpetrators.They need to repent and save their souls too!

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Hear! Heart! I do not believe that either Mahoney or Curry are beyond the reach of...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Hear! Heart!

I do not believe that either Mahoney or Curry are beyond the reach of the law. Hopefully, the California authorities will prosecute them.

Unfortunately, Law is out of civil authority reach. JPII called him to the Vatican where he resides.

--hide--

Paul, I also think it is really important that the Pope and the Vatican take some action for the world to see that the Catholic Church will administer some type of justice here. They are perfectly capable of "persuading" Cardinal Mahoney and Bishop Curry to do whatever they want, we all know that. I think some visible, public atonement needs to happen here in addition to the public apology by Mahoney being read at Masses today in Los Angeles. I think we are at a critical moment in time for the Church on this matter and what they do or don't do will impact the Church in ways we can't even imagine. So, I pray that Pope Benedict will be guided by the Holy Spirit.Praying

02/03/2013 new

They are mandated reporters and whether they were then or not is beside the point.

As it now stands, any doctor, Any counselor, licensed therapist, social worker, teacher, or school worker who fails to report child abuse goes to jail and loses their license.
The same should apply to all clergy especially someone in the highest ranking. I was living in LA diocese in the 80's and I later heard about abuse to boys in St Anthony's Seminary and I had visited the seminary more than once with friends who had siblings there.

In my early 20's I had run into one Fransciscan in SB who behaved strangely as if trolling for willing partners. His name was listed in the accused list a few years back- and it was just a confirmation to me. I met him at a young adults group where he told a dirty disgusting joke! That is called trolling for vistims and is part of the abuse grooming process. I am certain his name will come up again and many others who I wondered about over about 20 years. I was personally approached by a now recently deceased priest in high school. I do NOT take this lightly. I am nothing if not black and white on this issue.

It is not just wrong to abuse children- trolling for sex at all among any young adults or married people has happened by priests and clergy and needs to be addressed. People may not agree with me on this and I very frankly don't care.

It is time to admit that the shepherds who got in there were not living by standards of morality as taught to us as Catholics.

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: A Light is shining on the truth. This is shocking and yet not completely. We are going to...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

This is shocking and yet not completely. We are going to go through more as Catholics.

www.fresnobee.com

In this year of Faith we must pray for vocations- for the truth to always prevail and for the victims of these crimes and our whole church community to be healed and cleansed.

Here is the scripture that came to me due to this truth we now are being allowed to see:

But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall.

--hide--

Thank you for posting this, Marian. The real amazing thing about what is going on is that a court had to order this be done. Can you imagine other issues that the Church has failed to address properly and because there is no Court ordering the Church to do the right thing, it is not being done. One of the things I am thinking about is just shepherding their flock, ministering to those in need, teaching the faith, practicing humility...the list could go on and on. I saw a priest to day with some pretty sharp cowboy boots at mass. Can you imaging John Paul II wearing sharp cowboy boots. I remember when we had humble, hard working pastors who had holes in there shoes and when you would give them money to buy new ones they would find someone who needed the money more. It is a sad time for the Catholic church. But at least on this issue something is going to be forced to be done. Imagine how much money, Church money, was spent holding off the turn over of these documents. Will the real Catholic Church please stand up and be counted.

Sorry for my rant.

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said: A Light is shining on the truth. Th...
(Quote) Elizabeth-462557 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

www.fresnobee.com

Thank you for posting this, Marian. The real amazing thing about what is going on is that a court had to order this be done. Can you imagine other issues that the Church has failed to address properly and because there is no Court ordering the Church to do the right thing, it is not being done. One of the things I am thinking about is just shepherding their flock, ministering to those in need, teaching the faith, practicing humility...the list could go on and on. I saw a priest to day with some pretty sharp cowboy boots at mass. Can you imaging John Paul II wearing sharp cowboy boots. I remember when we had humble, hard working pastors who had holes in there shoes and when you would give them money to buy new ones they would find someone who needed the money more. It is a sad time for the Catholic church. But at least on this issue something is going to be forced to be done. Imagine how much money, Church money, was spent holding off the turn over of these documents. Will the real Catholic Church please stand up and be counted.

Sorry for my rant.

--hide--

No need to apologise. When the truth comes out we may feel sad and maybe ashamed for the failures of our shepherds, but it will set us free. It is coming out and it is a beautiful day when the cloud of denial is blown away or burned off by the light of the SUN/SON. Sunrise

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Tim-734178 said: The real shock is that it wasn't done years ago!
(Quote) Tim-734178 said: The real shock is that it wasn't done years ago!
--hide--

Is it? In any other area, the shock would actually be that it was done at all.

You are correct in demanding more from the Church, since it is the Spiritual authority for men, and because it is Christ's Church. We should all pray that the light fully shines on the Church that it may be fully purified of this infiltration.

Posts 11 - 20 of 44