Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: PRESS RELEASEArc...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

PRESS RELEASE
Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Office of Media Relations
3424 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90010 | phone: (213) 637-7215 | fax: (213) 637-6215 | MediaRelations@la-archdiocese.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 1, 2013
STATEMENT OF ARCHBISHOP JOSE H. GOMEZ REGARDING PRIESTLY STATUS OF CARDINAL ROGER MAHONY
AND BISHOP THOMAS CURRY

Questions from the faithful and some members of the news media indicate that it would be helpful for me to clarify the status of Cardinal Roger Mahony and Bishop Thomas Curry.
Cardinal Mahony, as Archbishop Emeritus, and Bishop Curry, as Auxiliary Bishop, remain bishops in good standing in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, with full rights to celebrate the Holy Sacraments of the Church and to minister to the faithful without restriction.
#######

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com

Thanks for posting this, Bernard. I hadn't seen it. And, my reaction is oh no. Really, I guess I can understand them remaining bishops (I'm not sure who can strip the title of bishop from them (I suppose it would be the pope), but "in good standing" - really? And, as for having full rights "to minister to the faithful without restriction" - well, I sincerely hope that situation changes very fast, as these two should not be able to minister to anyone! (Again, I suppose what happens is up to the Pope?)

I don't understand why Mahony isn't in a monastery somewhere (perhaps in upstate New York would be good or Alaska (do they have any monasteries there?) or if the Pope wants to move him out of the U.S., I think the Mongolian desert would be a good place where he likely couldn't harm anyone ( just wishful thinking on my part).

--hide--

I agree. No One Should Minimize what has happened. I can't imagine why they would remain in good standing. Not OK.

02/04/2013 new

Mike, Thanks for posting this and these links. I have heard some of those stories that some trads talk about and I believe a lot of it because of various things I know about and have seen and heard over many years. I pray that there will be some cleaning up.. theheart

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Thanks for posting this, Bernard. I hadn't seen it. And, my reaction is oh no. Really, ...

Thanks for posting this, Bernard. I hadn't seen it. And, my reaction is oh no. Really, I guess I can understand them remaining bishops (I'm not sure who can strip the title of bishop from them (I suppose it would be the pope), but "in good standing" - really? And, as for having full rights "to minister to the faithful without restriction" - well, I sincerely hope that situation changes very fast, as these two should not be able to minister to anyone! (Again, I suppose what happens is up to the Pope?)

I don't understand why Mahony isn't in a monastery somewhere (perhaps in upstate New York would be good or Alaska (do they have any monasteries there?) or if the Pope wants to move him out of the U.S., I think the Mongolian desert would be a good place where he likely couldn't harm anyone ( just wishful thinking on my part).

--hide--

One complicating factor is Cardinals do not require the approval of the local ordinary (in this case, Abp. Gomez) to minister the sacraments within the ordinary's territory. I'm not sure how uch control he has over another bishop.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: PRESS RELEASEArchdiocese of Los Angeles, Office of Media Relations
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

PRESS RELEASE
Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Office of Media Relations
3424 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90010 | phone: (213) 637-7215 | fax: (213) 637-6215 | MediaRelations@la-archdiocese.org
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 1, 2013
STATEMENT OF ARCHBISHOP JOSE H. GOMEZ REGARDING PRIESTLY STATUS OF CARDINAL ROGER MAHONY
AND BISHOP THOMAS CURRY

Questions from the faithful and some members of the news media indicate that it would be helpful for me to clarify the status of Cardinal Roger Mahony and Bishop Thomas Curry.
Cardinal Mahony, as Archbishop Emeritus, and Bishop Curry, as Auxiliary Bishop, remain bishops in good standing in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, with full rights to celebrate the Holy Sacraments of the Church and to minister to the faithful without restriction.
#######

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com

--hide--

A friend mentioned that maybe Mahoney covered things up to avoid scandal and planned how to hide it to avoid scandal. But lying and protecting perpetrators is not a method by which to avoid scandal. In other words now there is scandal so there was no legitimate excuse to cover it up...

I need to look up the definition for the word scandal but I believe it means to be trapped. I checked-It comes from the word snare...and refers to a snare of moral stumbling. I guess that scandal can take place when something hideous, horrifying and ugly is revealed, but one has to ask what is the worst that scandal can do? It can't be worse than the emotional and psychological damage the was sexual abuse does to any individual, male or female. It is grave.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Thanks for posting this, Bernard. I hadn&#...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Patricia-29176 said:

One complicating factor is Cardinals do not require the approval of the local ordinary (in this case, Abp. Gomez) to minister the sacraments within the ordinary's territory. I'm not sure how uch control he has over another bishop.

--hide--

Thanks for that clarification Jerry.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: One complicating factor is Cardinals do not require the approval of the local ordinary (i...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

--hide--

Yes, I suspect that what happens will be up to Pope Benedict. I don't think it will take too long, though, as this is giving the Catholic Church a lot of bad press. Then again, we all know what happened to Cardinal Law!

02/04/2013 new

There is some very good up-to-date discussion on Fr. Zuhlsdorf's blog about Cardinal Mahony and what will happen next - including many comments posted by various deacons and priests.

Here is the link:

wdtprs.com

02/05/2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: There is some very good up-to-date discussion on Fr. Zuhlsdorf's blog about Cardinal Mahony...

There is some very good up-to-date discussion on Fr. Zuhlsdorf's blog about Cardinal Mahony and what will happen next - including many comments posted by various deacons and priests.

Here is the link:

wdtprs.com

--hide--

As pointed out in the comments at your referenced Blog, unless and until the Vatican takes action, Mahoney remains eligible to vote in a Papal Conclave for 4 more years.

The sad fact is that under current rules. Archbishop Gomez cannot be made a Cardinal (assuming he is deserving of that Office) until Mahoney is no longer eligible to vote.

In the end, his pride made a fool of him in the Mother Angelica affair and is doing so again in this. Truly sad, sad for him, sad for the Church.

02/05/2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: (Quote) Patricia-29176 said: There is some very good up-to-date discussion ...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Quote:
Patricia-29176 said:

Here is the link:

wdtprs.com

As pointed out in the comments at your referenced Blog, unless and until the Vatican takes action, Mahoney remains eligible to vote in a Papal Conclave for 4 more years.

The sad fact is that under current rules. Archbishop Gomez cannot be made a Cardinal (assuming he is deserving of that Office) until Mahoney is no longer eligible to vote.

In the end, his pride made a fool of him in the Mother Angelica affair and is doing so again in this. Truly sad, sad for him, sad for the Church.

--hide--

Agreed.

02/05/2013 new

Thanks Elizabeth.

My eye is doing quite well since the operation. In a few more weeks I will have a final checkup with my doctor, and then I will be able to get a new prescription contact lens for my right eye. I've been wearing my old lens in that eye for a few weeks now, but the operation makes that eye a little more near-sighted, so I need an updated prescription lens. I must say that it is nice to be able to see in that eye again!

Ed

Posts 31 - 40 of 44