Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 12th 2013 new
I usually give something up for Lent but only on Friday, this year I would like to do it in 40 days. I usually don't eat meat so giving up meat won't be hard for me . In addition for meat, I will give up sweets (because I'm a sweet tooth but I have to make an exception when it comes to work since I'm a baker, I will not indulge myself with sweet treats out of work) and also chili paste (in my country we usually eat everything with chili paste called sambal and meals won't be complete without it)

I would also like to become more patient in doing everything, sometimes it's hard to be patient, right?

And I hope it will be last :)

I hope that we do all these "giving up something" or "doing something more" things because we love God so it feels like doing something for someone you love and it won't be hard because we want to please Him biggrin
Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-50634 said: (Quote) Annie-892455 said: Jim, I admire the things you want to set out to do...
(Quote) Jim-50634 said:

Quote:
Annie-892455 said:

Jim, I admire the things you want to set out to do in striving to grow closer to the Lord this Lent. But failure? Come on. What about choosing one or two of those things and focus on that?

Well Annie, I should be able to get my butt to Mass one or two more times a week....And it won't be so difficult to keep the TV off and grab a good religious book instead....It's the quitting music cold turkey that concerns me...but I guess as long as I go in with my expectations for myself low...I should be ok....It's a long time to go without listening to a U2 song....

--hide--

Remember: Nothing is wasted with Jesus.

Mick

Feb 12th 2013 new

I have a good suggestion for something to do: Go to Adoration once a week. In St. Faustina's diary Jesus says He much prefers Adoration over mortifications.

Mick

Feb 14th 2013 new

Giving up food, drink etc is good for mortifying the sensual appetite. However there is another type of mortification that is very good and not so easy to practise. I call it mortification of the tongue, which might be helped with a meditation on the letter of St James 3: 1-12.

"Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more severely than others. For all of us make many mistakes. If someone does not make any mistakes when he speaks, he is perfect and able to control his whole body. Now if we put bits into horses’ mouths to make them obey us, we can guide their whole bodies as well. And look at ships! They are so big that it takes strong winds to drive them, yet they are steered by a tiny rudder wherever the helmsman directs.

In the same way, the tongue is a small part of the body, yet it can boast of great achievements. A huge forest can be set on fire by a little flame. The tongue is a fire, a world of evil. Placed among the parts of our bodies, the tongue contaminates the whole body and sets on fire the course of life, and is itself set on fire by hell. For all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and sea creatures can be or have been tamed by humans, but no one can tame the tongue. It is an uncontrollable evil filled with deadly poison. With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse those who are made in God’s likeness. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers this must be wrong! A spring cannot pour both fresh and brackish water from the same opening, can it? My brothers, a fig tree cannot produce olives, nor a grapevine figs, can it? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water."

I better keep quiet now.

Feb 14th 2013 new
I'm making an effort to do both -- giving up going out to lunch, that will give me some quiet time every day at work and help still my tongue. As well as go to daily Mass, providing I get out of work on time.
Feb 14th 2013 new
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: Western society, especially modern Western Society has gotten too wusssie. Two Lents ago I atten...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

Western society, especially modern Western Society has gotten too wusssie.

Two Lents ago I attended a talk at Church about how Lent used to be celebrated in some countries, like in the olden, OLDEN days. Basically a lot like Ramadan.

So, as with those two Lents, this one will be milk, meat and luxery food items free. As always it will be hard, long winded and filled with cravings for bacon. :(

I do find it interesting, that a lot of people "give up" things they shouldn't be doing anyway, like swearing. People can live without sweets and cake. I can forgo cake and lollies for longer if I'm on a diet! I also look forward to the customary posts from my friends of: "I'm giving up FB for Lent". I find that so strange. I use FB to connect with friends and family off shore due to time zones and toll calls being too expensive to navigate. How can giving up a method of communication, which might be your only communication with some family/friends be a worth while endeavour? How does that increase your spiritual journey? I'm interested in people's explanations.

Over all, I found it spiritually rewarding. I recommend people try it. Yeah, its hard, there were a few failures along the way, but its well worth it as it pushes you into a greater understanding of what Lent actually is.

--hide--

Lent still is like Ramadan among Eastern Catholics and among the Eastern & Oriental Orthodox. We abstain from all animal products for all of Lent. No meat, no fish, no dairy, no eggs, etc.
Posts 21 - 26 of 26