Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV vaccine for him. Most of you probably know that HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that increases the risk of cervical cancer in women. My son is only 12, and they are already recommending this type of thing! But my question is not really related to age. Do you think it's wise to vaccinate your teenager, be it at 12 or 17, against HPV? To me it seems like doing so is giving them an approval for pre-marital sex. It says, don't have sex, but let's get you vaccinated just in case you do. Thoughts?

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV vaccine for him. Most of you probably know that HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that increases the risk of cervical cancer in women. My son is only 12, and they are already recommending this type of thing! But my question is not really related to age. Do you think it's wise to vaccinate your teenager, be it at 12 or 17, against HPV? To me it seems like doing so is giving them an approval for pre-marital sex. It says, don't have sex, but let's get you vaccinated just in case you do. Thoughts?

--hide--

There are a number of reasons it isn't wise. You give one. If you research this particular vaccine you will find there are serious concerns regarding its safety.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

--hide--

Oddly enough, a study was done by a group at the University of British Colombia in Canada showing that the efficacy and safety of the vaccine is not necessarily what is being told parents and young people by physicians wishing to give the vaccine.

The abstract of the study states:

"We carried out a systematic review of HPV vaccine pre- and post-licensure trials to assess the evidence of their effectiveness and safety. We find that HPV vaccine clinical trials design, and data interpretation of both efficacy and safety outcomes, were largely inadequate. Additionally, we note evidence of selective reporting of results from clinical trials (i.e., exclusion of vaccine efficacy figures related to study subgroups in which efficacy might be lower or even negative from peer-reviewed publications). Given this, the widespread optimism regarding HPV vaccines long-term benefits appears to rest on a number of unproven assumptions (or such which are at odd with factual evidence) and significant misinterpretation of available data. For example, the claim that HPV vaccination will result in approximately 70% reduction of cervical cancers is made despite the fact that the clinical trials data have not demonstrated to date that the vaccines have actually prevented a single case of cervical cancer (let alone cervical cancer death), nor that the current overly optimistic surrogate marker-based extrapolations are justified. Likewise, the notion that HPV vaccines have an impressive safety profile is only supported by highly flawed design of safety trials and is contrary to accumulating evidence from vaccine safety surveillance databases and case reports which continue to link HPV vaccination to serious adverse outcomes (including death and permanent disabilities). We thus conclude that further reduction of cervical cancers might be best achieved by optimizing cervical screening (which carries no such risks) and targeting other factors of the disease rather than by the reliance on vaccines with questionable efficacy and safety profiles."

here is the source:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Anyway, the only thing that I could imagine would be the reason to vaccinate someone with such a dangerous substance is for money. But, it could be seen by parents who allow it and the young people who get it as a license to have pre-marital relations.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: There are a number of reasons it isn't wise. You give one. If you research this parti...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

There are a number of reasons it isn't wise. You give one. If you research this particular vaccine you will find there are serious concerns regarding its safety.

--hide--
Indeed, Jerry. In addition to the moral considerations, a serious controversy exists about the safety of the vaccine and the potential side effects. For the latter reason, the jury is still out. For moral considerations, the response would be a more definite "Just say 'NO' to the vaccine." At age 12, a youngster is hardly mature enough to thing the issue through to grasp the full implications. I'm sure there's a lot of street talk about what the guys can do now that they've been vaccinated -- and typically the information is faulty.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize the safety of the vaccine is in question. We really can't trust doctors at all, can we?

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize the safety of the vaccine is in question. We really...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize the safety of the vaccine is in question. We really can't trust doctors at all, can we?

--hide--
Interesting topic- almost all vaccines have risks of side effects, some not even apparent in clincial trials but come out after the vaccine is available to the general public. I think drawing the conclusion that "we really can't trust doctors at all, can we" is a gross error. While every profession has members that are in it solely for the money and unfortunately there are doctors that will recommend these things without knowing all the side effects, on the whole there are many many doctors in the medical professions that actually care about their patients and are more careful in what they do and when they do it. Parents are responsibe for what they decide for their children, doctor are responsible for letting their patients know what is available. While I agree 12 years old is definitely not the time for this kind of thing, the parents should know what is best for their kids. Please do not lump all doctors into this category.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) John-913295 said: Interesting topic- almost all vaccines have risks of side effects, some not even apparent in clinc...
(Quote) John-913295 said:

Interesting topic- almost all vaccines have risks of side effects, some not even apparent in clincial trials but come out after the vaccine is available to the general public. I think drawing the conclusion that "we really can't trust doctors at all, can we" is a gross error. While every profession has members that are in it solely for the money and unfortunately there are doctors that will recommend these things without knowing all the side effects, on the whole there are many many doctors in the medical professions that actually care about their patients and are more careful in what they do and when they do it. Parents are responsibe for what they decide for their children, doctor are responsible for letting their patients know what is available. While I agree 12 years old is definitely not the time for this kind of thing, the parents should know what is best for their kids. Please do not lump all doctors into this category.

--hide--

Have you read the report?

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Have you read the report?
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Have you read the report?

--hide--
Yes the report cited does explain all the problems with this vaccine very well. My concern is with saying that doctors can not be trusted. One thing I learned back in school when reading and learning about clinical trials and studies is that "figures don't lie, but liars sure can figure." Of course the people doing the study will slant the results to get their interests represented, and thank goodness we have other entities review these original studies, and publish their results their way. I agree there are certain doctors that can't be trusted - I know some - but if we can't trust any doctors we are all in trouble.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

With media reports as sensationalized as they are today it's easy to understand why a lot of unnecessary fear can be generated from lack of good information. The role of health care providers is and should continue to be to provide that information to their patients. As a medical student I see an opportunity here to dispel some of the mis-information. I have no financial disclosures.

The HPV vaccine is safe. Nothing in life is ever 100% safe, but as with all vaccines, the benefits far, far outweigh the risks. HPV CAUSES cervical cancer. I won't comment on the condoning pre-marital sex debate but the "debate" about the safety of this (and any vaccine) should be put to rest.

The following information is from a Meta-analysis, the highest standard of data quality available to science.

To do the math, out of 23,000,000 doses of vaccine reported in the database, there have been 714 reports of adverse effects, none of which have been actually linked to the medication, rather, underlying medical issues in the affected individuals.

The rate of "serious adverse effect" (not even considering the lack of causal data) per these numbers is 0.00003109 i.e. nil.

By comparison, the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident in a year (given an average amount of travel) is 1/6500 or .00015, note the difference in order of magnitude by ten.

J Clin Pharm Ther. 2011 Feb;36(1):1-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2710.2009.01150.x.

Quadrivalent human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine: a review of safety, efficacy, and pharmacoeconomics.

Pomfret TC, Gagnon JM Jr, Gilchrist AT.

"Through 31 December, 2008, more than 23 million doses of the quadrivalent HPV vaccine were distributed in the United States with 11 916 VAERS documented reports of adverse events following vaccination. Overall, 94% of the documented adverse events were considered ‘non-serious’, whereas the remaining 6%, which encompassed those that lead to hospitalization, permanent disability, life-threatening illness and death, were deemed ‘serious.’ Events such as fainting, syncope, pain and swelling at the injection site, headache, nausea and fever were identified as non-serious adverse events, wheras events such as GBS, blood clots, allergic shock, nervous system damage and death were identified as serious. GBS typically occurs in 1–2 out of every 100 000 people during their teenage years and can be caused by a number of factors including infections. As of April 2008, there have been 31 GBS reports through the VAERS system post-quadrivalent HPV vaccine administration; however, only 10 cases have been confirmed. These reported GBS cases correlate with an incidence rate that does not exceed what would typically be expected in the general population of young adolescent females, independent of vaccination. Reports of blood clots in the heart, lungs and legs are rare, and the majority of incidents reported occurred in individuals at an increased risk of blood clots, such as those taking oral contraceptives. Although 23 deaths have been reported among females who received the vaccine, death certificate evaluations have not provided common patterns that readily implicate the vaccine as the causative agent

Safety information pertaining to the quadrivalent HPV vaccine was presented at the October 2008 Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) meeting. The CDC concluded, after an evaluation of VAERS data, that the submitted information did not find a link between the vaccine and serious adverse events claims. Information reported to the VSD project was also unable to definitively correlate the vaccine with blood clots, allergic reactions, stroke, seizure and/or GBS reported events. In addition, the CISA reported no link implicating the vaccine with central or peripheral nervous system disorders, including transverse myelitis and GBS, respectively. A Merck-sponsored registry of women inadvertently administered the HPV vaccine during pregnancy did not recognize any links with birth defects, miscarriages or infant/fetal deaths; and although identified as a pregnancy category B, HPV vaccine administration is not recommended during pregnancy and should be deferred until post-partum (12, 13).

All events reported as ‘serious’ and attributed to the HPV vaccine have been analyzed by medical professionals; however, no common medical patterns have been identified to associate the vaccine as the underlying cause. After analyzing all available data, the quadrivalent HPV vaccine is still CDC and FDA recommended for routine administration; however, vigilant safety monitoring continues through independent and government-sponsored databases and research."

GBS = Group B streptococcus infection.

Of course there will always be people out there who are convinced of conspiracy and for-profit motivation around every corner but they'll never be satisfied regardless of what anyone says.

Feb 4th 2013 new

A lot more people have died from reactions to Antibotics and paracetamol then they have to vaccines, and people generally hav eno problem popping back a few of them.

Yes, all vaccines carry a level of risk, just like every medication you pop in your body, heck, even your lipstick could kill you under certain circumstances; but generally only to individuals with pre-existing or undiagnosed medical conditions.

The argument about the vaccine being a license for sex is a faulty one. It once again seeks to blame women especially for fornication, and generally admitting people can't control themselves. The vax. offers protection against a form of cancer. A horribly silent cancer, until its too late that is. Husband with a previous history could give it to virgin wife on their honeymoon! The woman could be raped. The vaccine isn't going to turn 16 year old girls into strumpets.

Good information, and most especially good parenting should protect children from fornicating under the impression the vax. protects them from everything.

Doctors are human beings, and I take some offense that implies none should be trusted. Sure, there are some doctors who are scum bags, just like there are some lawyers, teachers, gardners who are scum bags.

We wouldn't say "no priests should be trusted" because of a few paedophiles, so why blame the whole profession because of the sins of a few?

Its not a vital vaccination, I'm sure a lot of people will be fine without it, but the fear mongering has got to stop, not just for HPV vax, but for all the vaccines currently on the market.

Posts 1 - 10 of 166