Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Feb 8th 2013 new

Both of my children have the HPV vaccine and it was the bet decision I made. A vaccine is not what will determine if a child will have pre marital sex.

Feb 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: What does SOL mean please?
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

What does SOL mean please?

--hide--

SOL = So Outta Luck...

Feb 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Sorry mate my mistake, I apologise to all those in need of rampent hysteria. I'm a...

Sorry mate my mistake, I apologise to all those in need of rampent hysteria. I'm a bad bad boy

--hide--

That you are. That you are. Tsk tsk tsk.

Feb 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: By the way, I didn't realize this is such a controversial topic. I never started a thread that ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

By the way, I didn't realize this is such a controversial topic. I never started a thread that yielded so many responses before!

--hide--

Mention sex and everyone goes batty. Overdrive. Howling. biggrin

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV vaccine for him. Most of you probably know that HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that increases the risk of cervical cancer in women. My son is only 12, and they are already recommending this type of thing! But my question is not really related to age. Do you think it's wise to vaccinate your teenager, be it at 12 or 17, against HPV? To me it seems like doing so is giving them an approval for pre-marital sex. It says, don't have sex, but let's get you vaccinated just in case you do. Thoughts?

--hide--

Actually, I do think it is wise to have your son or daughter vaccinated. Your reasoning is based upon a faulty premise.

First the good: the HPV vaccine prevents the spread of a virus that causes cervical cancer in women and throat cancer in both sexes. These cancer kill people at young ages and preventing them is unquestionably very good. Death from these cancers is painful, disfiguring, humiliating, and messy. Preventing that is very good.

Second the faulty premise: you are assuming that young people are avoiding having sex because they are worried about getting cancer 20 years from now. Thus, you are concerned that giving them a preventive for this cancer will increase their sexual activity. No way. Teenagers do not think like that. They are convinced they are going to live forever, and they may or may not avoid behaviors that pose an immanent risk of pain, death or embarrassment, but they are not at all influenced by the remote possibility of a distant future event like a cancer they might get in their 40s or 50s. It is highly unlikely that such a vaccine would have any effect at all on their sexual behavior. If the high risk of AIDS doesn't deter them, the remote risk of some cancer 20 years from now surely won't.

Thus there is a very good upside to giving this vaccine and virtually no downside. It is an easy decision.

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: I think you mis-read what I wrote, Sir. I didn't say all who get Gastric Bypass sur...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

I think you mis-read what I wrote, Sir. I didn't say all who get Gastric Bypass surgery are gluttons. I was only referring to the futility of stapling the stomach of a glutton (i.e., a specific group of the entire population who have the Gastric Bypass surgery), because it doesn't cure the underlying spiritual problem. This is analagous to giving a child a vaccine for the effects of another spiritual problem, because we all know and accept (sarcasm) that he or she IS going to be promiscuous one day, and as parents, we do not want them to suffer the effects of their ill decisions.

--hide--

Ethical surgeons dont perform Bariatric surgery for cosmetic (Glutonous) reason. Morbid Obesity doesnt have a spiritual dimension to it, neither does cervical cancer have a spiritual dimension to its cause. They are both diseases caused by a breakdown of homestasis and malformation of genes not the soul, so the example is still a poor choice.

I speak from both professional and personal experience, but you wouldnt be the first here to question my spirituality. But shes cool. Think of me what you like, it doesnt alter the fact that vaccinations save lives.

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: That you are. That you are. Tsk tsk tsk.
(Quote) David-364112 said:

That you are. That you are. Tsk tsk tsk.

--hide--

Such a bad boy in fact I shall have the HPV vaccine and immediately become promiscuous - and I cant even spell the word mischievous cool

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: Actually, I do think it is wise to have your son or daughter vaccinated. Your reasoning ...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

Actually, I do think it is wise to have your son or daughter vaccinated. Your reasoning is based upon a faulty premise.

First the good: the HPV vaccine prevents the spread of a virus that causes cervical cancer in women and throat cancer in both sexes. These cancer kill people at young ages and preventing them is unquestionably very good. Death from these cancers is painful, disfiguring, humiliating, and messy. Preventing that is very good.

Second the faulty premise: you are assuming that young people are avoiding having sex because they are worried about getting cancer 20 years from now. Thus, you are concerned that giving them a preventive for this cancer will increase their sexual activity. No way. Teenagers do not think like that. They are convinced they are going to live forever, and they may or may not avoid behaviors that pose an immanent risk of pain, death or embarrassment, but they are not at all influenced by the remote possibility of a distant future event like a cancer they might get in their 40s or 50s. It is highly unlikely that such a vaccine would have any effect at all on their sexual behavior. If the high risk of AIDS doesn't deter them, the remote risk of some cancer 20 years from now surely won't.

Thus there is a very good upside to giving this vaccine and virtually no downside. It is an easy decision.

--hide--

You could argue that Humanity is naturally promiscous. Afterall genetics and anthropological DNA studies show we all desend from a small group of no more than 12 Africans in the Rift Valley, so it fairly clear someone was being a very busy boy (or girl(s)) for us to reach 6 billion+ in 3 million years. It cant all have been theory.

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Such a bad boy in fact I shall have the HPV vaccine and immediately become promiscuous...

Such a bad boy in fact I shall have the HPV vaccine and immediately become promiscuous - and I cant even spell the word

--hide--

By allaccounts, it has the same effect as Spanish Fly.

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: Actually, I do think it is wise to have your son or daughter vaccinated. Your reasoning ...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

--hide--

Thank you very much gerard. As a Catholic physician, your position on this matter carries a lot of weight with me and (I hope) everyone else following this thread.

Posts 111 - 120 of 166