Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Cathy-564420 said: Just wanted to say Edward Jenner discovered the smallpox vaccine from milkmaids expos...
(Quote) Cathy-564420 said:

Just wanted to say Edward Jenner discovered the smallpox vaccine from milkmaids exposed to cowpox virus were found to be immune to smallpox. So he tested it on a little boy by inoculating him with cowpox;) Not ethical today, of course. Lister was a physician who started the use of antiseptics which saved thousands of lives brought on by L. Pasteur's discovery of how micro-organisms cause infection.

"vacca" means cow. K, onto HPV vaccination after my little history lessen
Ah, I learned so much in microbiology this year! LOL If I were younger, I would totally be a biologist;)

--hide--

I stand corrected and had my professors mixed up, as a nursing student you will have a better memory of the lectures. Jenner innoculated the children of the Lady Mary Wortley Montague, who had suffered the disease as a young woman and a brother who died from the disease. Because Lady Montague had the innoculation given to her children the idea quickly spread throught the English aristocracy and was accepted as a Public Health measure.

Lister identified and named bacteria as the cause of infection, and introduced the strict aseptic technique used today. Along with Pasteur, he lead the fight against disease and increased public sanitation. The first public sewage system was developed in London, though the city of Baghdad had a working sewer 6000 years ago.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: And the fact that it might not be good s...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

And the fact that it might not be good science doesn't mean that it isn't. If there's a problem with the analysis in the article, explain what it is, not what it might be. So far you're just blowing smoke.

--hide--

That is a self contradicting statement. If it appears bad sciecnce it IS bad science. The scientific method and the modern culture of peer review and replication are evidence of that.

I might think to play cricket on the road dosent mean its a good idea

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Cathy-564420 said: Oh goodness. Let's not pretend here as the statistics of young adult men and wome...
(Quote) Cathy-564420 said:

Oh goodness. Let's not pretend here as the statistics of young adult men and women are having sex before marriage at soaring percentages. Yes, we can teach them the 10 commandments, but let's say we don't live in a perfect world. I don't think a Dr. would think you are too intelligent by telling him "the best vaccine to prevent HPV is shutting legs". Eeks, that wouldn't look too good for yourself. We can all hope and pray that our beloved children wait until they are married, but things do happen in life. Look around. We are all not perfect.

--hide--

Well they were certainly doing so in centuries past, so why should today be any different. And yes while absenance is good and holy and chaste and great for sermons, it is difficult in reality. But vaccines dont prevent promiscuity, just disease

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: My original reasoning when I posted this thread was, HPV is one of the natural consequence...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

My original reasoning when I posted this thread was, HPV is one of the natural consequences for having sex outside of marriage. As such, when one chooses to do that, one also chooses to accept the chance of contracting HPV (and other STDs). The fact that choices have consequences is a good thing, and I don't think they should be separated from each other.

Vaccinating a girl against HPV is a no-brainer because like has been stated before in this thread, a girl may get HPV from her less-than-perfect husband through no fault of her own. I didn't realize that guys also can get cancer from HPV, so I'm more open to the idea since HPV is more effective when administered early, and it's good to be protected from diseases you may get through no fault of your own.

But the logic that realistically most teenagers will have sex so let's protect them from the natural consequences of their choices still doesn't sit well with me. If you are old enough to have sex, you are old enough to accept the consequences (including not only STDs but also pregnancy and everything that has to do with raising a child).

--hide--

HPV is commonly spread through sex but it can be passed through other means by sharing a towel or hair trimmers. It is not just passed through sex. It is passed through skin to skin contact normally. You don't necessarily have to have sex to have skin to skin contact.

Feb 24th 2013 new
I would not want my children to have it for fear of it causing something! wide eyed
Feb 24th 2013 new
I didn't know that! Also, is it needed once or will it have to be done again later?
Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Edel-677791 said: I didn't know that! Also, is it needed once or will it have to be done again later?
(Quote) Edel-677791 said: I didn't know that! Also, is it needed once or will it have to be done again later?
--hide--

And you still don't know that. What you have is a statement made by an unknown person on the Internet without any reference to scientific or clinical literature to support the claim.

When one makes statements about "HPV" without further qualification, as was done by the person you were responding to, the statements may be entirely true yet still be irrelevant to this discussion be cause they may apply to types that are not covered by the vaccines.

There are at least 82 types of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), which are identified by the type number (e.g., HPV type 18). Only some of these are responsible for cervical cancer (types 16 and 18 are responsible for 70% of cervical cancers), and the vaccines only claim to protect against a small number of these 42 types: Gardasil against types 6 and 11 (which cause anogenital warts), 16, and 18; Cervarix against types 16 and 18.

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-560653 said: HPV is commonly spread through sex but it can be passed through other means by sharing a towel o...
(Quote) Andrew-560653 said:

HPV is commonly spread through sex but it can be passed through other means by sharing a towel or hair trimmers. It is not just passed through sex. It is passed through skin to skin contact normally. You don't necessarily have to have sex to have skin to skin contact.

--hide--

Which of the 82 types of HPV are you describing here (keeping in mind that only types 6, 11, 16, and 18 are covered by the vaccine)?

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Which of the 82 types of HPV are you describing here (keeping in mind that only types 6, ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Which of the 82 types of HPV are you describing here (keeping in mind that only types 6, 11, 16, and 18 are covered by the vaccine)?

--hide--

Sorry for not citing a source. The ones that cause gential warts would be the culprit that can get passed on. I've also talked to multiple dermatologists about the shot and the disease. I didn't like the fact that someone was generalizing HPV, when there are different forms of it. Yes it is most commonly passed through any form of sex. The vaccine protects against 2 forms of genital warts. I just don't agree with the genralization of the disease to support that the vaccine is a license for sex, when it is possible for the disease to be passed on through other methods.

"HPV transmission typically occurs through direct skin-to-skin contact, including genital-to-genital contact. In fact, the virus is spread easily between sexual partners, making it one of the most common STDs. And because there are often no signs or symptoms, most infected people are unaware that HPV transmission has occurred. A pregnant woman can transmit HPV to her baby during vaginal delivery, but this is extremely rare."

hpv.emedtv.com

"Some HPVs are sexually transmitted" Also states there is at least 100 different types. WebMD www.webmd.com

Mayo Clinic 100 varieties not 82. www.mayoclinic.com

"HPV infection causes warts. There are more than 100 varieties of human papillomavirus (HPV). Different types of HPV infection can cause warts on different parts of your body.

For example, some types of HPV infection cause plantar warts on the feet, while other varieties of HPV infection are responsible for the warts that most commonly occur on a person's hands or face.

There are more than 40 different strains of HPV that specifically affect the genital area. Most HPV infections don't lead to cancer, but some types of genital HPV can cause cancer of the cervix — the passage between the vagina and the uterus.

Vaccines can help protect against the strains of genital HPV most likely to cause genital warts or cervical cancer."

Feb 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-560653 said: Sorry for not citing a source. The ones that cause gential warts would be the culprit t...
(Quote) Andrew-560653 said:

Sorry for not citing a source. The ones that cause gential warts would be the culprit that can get passed on. I've also talked to multiple dermatologists about the shot and the disease. I didn't like the fact that someone was generalizing HPV, when there are different forms of it. Yes it is most commonly passed through any form of sex. The vaccine protects against 2 forms of genital warts. I just don't agree with the genralization of the disease to support that the vaccine is a license for sex, when it is possible for the disease to be passed on through other methods.

"HPV transmission typically occurs through direct skin-to-skin contact, including genital-to-genital contact. In fact, the virus is spread easily between sexual partners, making it one of the most common STDs. And because there are often no signs or symptoms, most infected people are unaware that HPV transmission has occurred. A pregnant woman can transmit HPV to her baby during vaginal delivery, but this is extremely rare."

hpv.emedtv.com

"Some HPVs are sexually transmitted" Also states there is at least 100 different types. WebMD www.webmd.com

Mayo Clinic 100 varieties not 82. www.mayoclinic.com

"HPV infection causes warts. There are more than 100 varieties of human papillomavirus (HPV). Different types of HPV infection can cause warts on different parts of your body.

For example, some types of HPV infection cause plantar warts on the feet, while other varieties of HPV infection are responsible for the warts that most commonly occur on a person's hands or face.

There are more than 40 different strains of HPV that specifically affect the genital area. Most HPV infections don't lead to cancer, but some types of genital HPV can cause cancer of the cervix — the passage between the vagina and the uterus.

Vaccines can help protect against the strains of genital HPV most likely to cause genital warts or cervical cancer."

--hide--

As you rightly say Andrew all warts are passed by direct skin to skin contact, Herpes, Papaloma and other forms. Herpes Zoster can be passed by a kiss, hence many teenagers suffer, The viri often go dormant by retreating into the sclera (the fatty linning of the nerves) and can remain dormant for years. The vaccine merely prevents transfer, and/or contraction, but if you have it, you have it and there is not much you can do. Then the vaccine will help mitigate the more extreme side effects or consequences.

Dermal to Dermal contact is interesting from a sexual point of veiw because both male and female reproductive systems are lined by epithelial cells, i.e skin, and technicaly you could claim are outside the body!!!!! embarassed crossfingers

Posts 141 - 150 of 166