Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Lauren-927923 said: Herpes simplex viruses are the cause of Herpes, HPV is human papilloma virus which prom...
(Quote) Lauren-927923 said:

Herpes simplex viruses are the cause of Herpes, HPV is human papilloma virus which prompts warts/genital warts. HPV vaccine is now available for boys as well and there is some evidence for increased penile cancer with HPV infection. Cervical cancer may not be contagious but HPV is, as is Herpes.

--hide--

My appologise and agreement sorry all this virology is making my small brain itch.

Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Lauren, simple stated and well spoken. Kids today....how should we phrase it....don&...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

Lauren, simple stated and well spoken. Kids today....how should we phrase it....don't do things the way we did in Jr. High...

I think if anything, the throat cancer/HPV link may be an even bigger issue than these other cancers. I know now quite a few (non-smoking) people who are throat cancer survivors. Not a fun one to have...(By the way these were non-promiscuous, married people).

--hide--

Our sex ed teacher used to say those who indulge willl bulge!!! But are children/adolescent any more promiscious than our great great grandparents?

Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: For what it's worth, I'm beef-witted and avoid paranoid anti-vaccine websites, but here&#...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

For what it's worth, I'm beef-witted and avoid paranoid anti-vaccine websites, but here's my take on this issue. It's a good idea to have our teens vaccinated for HPV because: (1) in most states it's the law (the last thign we need is some over-zealous moron from DCFS hauling us into court); (2) there's always a chance that our kids will be exposed to this virus in young adulthood so they should be protected; and (3) it gives parents an opportunity to discuss premarital sex and its potentially dire consequences with their children. (#3 alone is worth getting the vaccine.)

--hide--

I don't know about other states, but it's not the law in CA to have this vaccine. Doctors don't report parents to the CPS for not giving consent for an optional vaccine.

Feb 7th 2013 new
In Ohio some docs will report parents to DCFS for refusing to vaccinate their kids. I think it's INSANE not to have kids vaccinated - those childhood diseases can kill. In the late 1990's, a couple I knew ended up in a DCFS hearing because none of their kids ever received a vaccination of any sort. They had 5 kids then, 9 now. I defended them against this panel of childless harridans. The husband was a doctor and stated his reasons for not vaccinating the kids. This didn't sway them. We took it to court where we faced an awful magistrate who ordered vaccines and supervised parenting. We went to the judge who finally sided (albeit reluctantly) with the parents. The couple moved out of Ohio never to return. The system is terribly wrong but I firmly believe it's also crazy not to vaccinate.
Feb 7th 2013 new
This couple were paleo Catholic. Home school. Isolated their kids from any children who weren't home schooled. They wouldn't let their kids near mine - although they did have me defend them. Never paid, but did hire me. They were always going on in gleeful anticipation about the coming chastisement. No conspiracy theory was too far off the rails for them not to believe in it. Our poor pastor and bishop were agents of evil. Why do delusional insanity and pseudo-piety often travel hand-in-hand?
Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I don't know about other states, but it's not the law in CA to have this vaccine. ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I don't know about other states, but it's not the law in CA to have this vaccine. Doctors don't report parents to the CPS for not giving consent for an optional vaccine.

--hide--

OK then. In SOME states it's eithe rlaw or regulation that kids be vaccinated. There are exceptions. The Amish and the JW's can claim religious reasons. My clients' problem was that they didn't claim a religious reason. I told them to do that because the case would be dismissed. But no. We had to present a loony argument to the agency and finally to the court just because this is what they believed.

Why are there so many crazies among the faithful? Oh well. It's good they're here rather than elsewhere - annoying as they can be,

Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: Nothing is 100% gauranteed especially in Medicine but that doesnt mean you shouldnt ha...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

Nothing is 100% gauranteed especially in Medicine but that doesnt mean you shouldnt have the vaccine. Again the vaccine DOESNT come with a 100% guarntee but 99% is better than the disease.

--hide--

So, if the CDC states that cervical screenings prevent as much or more cancer as they predict the vaccine will do (they don't know how efficacious the vaccine is in reality, as Andrew stated, since they cannot actually expose those in clinical trials to HPV) why should I get the vaccine again?

Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: So, if the CDC states that cervical screenings prevent as much or more cancer as they p...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

So, if the CDC states that cervical screenings prevent as much or more cancer as they predict the vaccine will do (they don't know how efficacious the vaccine is in reality, as Andrew stated, since they cannot actually expose those in clinical trials to HPV) why should I get the vaccine again?

--hide--

Cervical screenings may or may not "prevent" cancer. They detect cancerous cells or precancerous cells. There is no way to know at what stage the cancerous or precancerous cells would be detected from a Pap smear. And, how often the Pap smear is done keeps being changed (I assume by the governing body of OB/Gynes). It used to be annually for a sexually active woman of child-bearing age. But, I believe that some doctors are now doing the Pap smear only once every 2 years for this age group. And, that is if the woman makes the effort to make the appt. and show up for it and the physician makes sure to do the Pap smear. OB/Gynes seem to follow screening guidelines on this more so than Family Practice docs (and I say this even though I am a Family Practice doc). So, the chance is that you could do the required screenings, and still end up with a diagnosis of cancer at which point treatment for cancer will be required (and of course, there is no way to know if the cancer has spread/metastasized although if caught early, this is very unlikely.)

It is much easier to prevent something than to cure it once it happens!

Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Cervical screenings may or may not "prevent" cancer. They detect cancerous ce...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Cervical screenings may or may not "prevent" cancer. They detect cancerous cells or precancerous cells. There is no way to know at what stage the cancerous or precancerous cells would be detected from a Pap smear. And, how often the Pap smear is done keeps being changed (I assume by the governing body of OB/Gynes). It used to be annually for a sexually active woman of child-bearing age. But, I believe that some doctors are now doing the Pap smear only once every 2 years for this age group. And, that is if the woman makes the effort to make the appt. and show up for it and the physician makes sure to do the Pap smear. OB/Gynes seem to follow screening guidelines on this more so than Family Practice docs (and I say this even though I am a Family Practice doc). So, the chance is that you could do the required screenings, and still end up with a diagnosis of cancer at which point treatment for cancer will be required (and of course, there is no way to know if the cancer has spread/metastasized although if caught early, this is very unlikely.)

It is much easier to prevent something than to cure it once it happens!

--hide--

Hi, Patricia,

I know exactly what you are saying. Cervical screenings may or may not "prevent" cancer...just like the quadrivalent and bivalent HPV vaccines may or may not "prevent" cancer. :)

I understand that many parents believe they consent to the vaccine for their boys and girls in good conscience. Personally, I could not. I find the HPV vaccine just as screwed up as stapling a glutton's stomach.

Feb 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Hi, Patricia,I know exactly what you are saying. Cervical screenings may or may...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Hi, Patricia,

I know exactly what you are saying. Cervical screenings may or may not "prevent" cancer...just like the quadrivalent and bivalent HPV vaccines may or may not "prevent" cancer. :)

I understand that many parents believe they consent to the vaccine for their boys and girls in good conscience. Personally, I could not. I find the HPV vaccine just as screwed up as stapling a glutton's stomach.

--hide--

I don't agree with you on this, Chelsea. As a Catholic physician, I firmly believe that preteens or early teens (both boys and girls) should be given this vaccine. I feel the benefits hugely outweigh any possible risks. It is much easier to prevent than to cure!

Posts 91 - 100 of 166