Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: All things are possible with God (don't remember the verse.) Who knows what the sai...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

All things are possible with God (don't remember the verse.) Who knows what the saints were striving for (especially once sainthood became more established in the Church.

Did you ever listen to Mother Angelica? She ended almost every show saying - "We are all called to be saints - don't miss the opportunity!" with her wonderful smile. I think this is the question being asked in this forum. And, from things you have posted - kind acts you have done for your children, etc., I would suspect (that although you might not say it that way) that you are striving to be a saint .

I don't think women here are presuming they will become a saint, just that they are striving toward that by how they live their lives, etc.

Would love to hear if any men here are striving to be saints (or do we need to start another thread for the men)?

--hide--

Well.. It's not a conscious striving and I'm uncomfortable with someone who has that expectation of me.. I would run from a man who suggested such a thing of me because I see that as very unrealistic. I have read Mother Angelica's bio book and have seen her show.. She is much closer to sainthood than I would ever think to be.

Feb 2nd 2013 new
The definition of a saint is someone who goes to heaven! We are all striving, I hope, to get to heaven, although there certainly are those who spend more of their energy than others on this pursuit. We are all called to live our lives here with the goal of getting to heaven, therefore we are all called to sainthood.
Feb 2nd 2013 new
(Quote) Donna-83441 said: No..Just striving to be a good person day in and day out.. I don't think the saints were striving to be sain...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

No..Just striving to be a good person day in and day out.. I don't think the saints were striving to be saints when they were living either. I would never presume to assume I was destined for sainthood..

--hide--

One Sunday, our priest started a very memorable homily by asking us how many of us thought we were going to heaven. There were a few hands. Then he asked how many of us were going down below. Again, a few people raised their hands. Then he asked, "Where are the rest of you going?" That question has stuck in my mind for probably 15-17 years now. I think that is the problem today-- too many of us think that we have some "third option," the place for "nice folks" who could never be saints, but aren't thoroughly evil and don't deserve eternal punishment. (Purgatory isn't it-- check the Catechism.)

We have two options: we are either for Jesus or against Him. If we are to be for Him, we simply must strive, fight if necessary, to become saints, because the only other alternative is to be deprived of the Beatific Vision-- the very reason for our existence-- for all eternity. We must either do all we can to take our place with all the saints in heaven-- to become one of them, declared or not-- or we will regret it for eternity. I certainly don't want to presume on my salvation either, but that is precisely why I must do battle every moment of my life.
Feb 2nd 2013 new
"but that is precisely why I must do battle every moment of my life."

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Well.. It's not a conscious striving and I'm uncomfortable with someone who h...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Well.. It's not a conscious striving and I'm uncomfortable with someone who has that expectation of me.. I would run from a man who suggested such a thing of me because I see that as very unrealistic. I have read Mother Angelica's bio book and have seen her show.. She is much closer to sainthood than I would ever think to be.

--hide--

Remember, some of the Saints were great sinners (not saying that you are, just wanting to clarify that at least some of the saints lived at least part of their lives in a sinful manner. We are all sinners, that is why Christ died for us on the Cross. But, we can all still strive to be saints!

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) James-54232 said:
(Quote) James-54232 said:
--hide--

Absolutely, but I think I am only one of very many.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

There were many woman in the church and other places that were saints all their lives and we can be the same but you must remember "Many are called but few are chosen" it all depends on you:)

By the by James what would you target as being saintly??

Feb 2nd 2013 new

Hello I don't get it?? Why are you battleing with yourself?

Feb 2nd 2013 new

I guess being saintly is being closer to being Christ like. I see alot of beautiful woman, but my struggle is the outward beauty isnt matched with the inner beauty of being a Holy Catholic woman. So many woman even on Catholic Match and in the Church have issues with contraception, pre marital sex. papal infallibility as well as women becomming priest. Something is wrong when women are not seeing why the Church has revealed these truths through divine revelation, apostolic tradition and the scriptures.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

I strive for sainthood each and every day and this path is simpler than one thinks, look at St. Therese and her little way. We can do small acts of kindness toward a neighbor, a family member, a co-worker, a person we meet on the street, ect. I try each day to see Jesus in every person I meet, it is hard, especially when that person is full of anger and hate but just like Jesus, Mother Theresa, and others loved unconditionally, so must we.

Here is a quote from St. Therese the Little Flower:

"You know, Mother, that I have always wanted to be become a saint. Unfortunately when I have compared myself with the saints, I have always found that there is the same difference between the saints and me as there is between a mountain whose summit is lost in the clouds and a humble grain of sand trodden underfoot by passersby. Instead of being discouraged, I told myself: God would not make me wish for something impossible and so, in spite of my littleness, I can aim at being a saint. It is impossible for me to grow bigger, so I put up with myself as I am, with all my countless faults. But I will look for some means of going to heaven by a little way which is very short and very straight, a little way that is quite new[...] It is your arms, Jesus, which are the lift to carry me to heaven, And so there is no need for me to grow up. In fact, just the opposite: I must stay little and become less and less." ~ St. Thérèse of Lisieux

Posts 11 - 20 of 38