Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Almost Homemade

Feb 3rd 2013 new

In honor of the good ladies on this website who do not have quite the culinay skills of Anne Burrell I am starting this thread. So fess up folks and let's hear about the shortcuts you make in the kitchen. Now I love home cooking and I made up my mind that I was going to be a goodcook when I grow up, so I got started as soon as I could learn. When I make beefy vegetable soup I LIKE TO DO IT 100% FROM SCRATCH. I will fess up and admit there were times when I was pressed for time and I humbled myself to using frozen vegetables, and even canned mixed vegetables. Instead of the usual superior beef broth I make from beef bones, I have had to turn to using those bouillon cubes that came in handy. V8 came in handy. I have had those frozen dinners at times only to have my blood sugar spike through the roof due to the gluten content, amoungst other unmentionable problems.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: In honor of the good ladies on this website who do not have quite the culinay skills of Anne ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

In honor of the good ladies on this website who do not have quite the culinay skills of Anne Burrell I am starting this thread. So fess up folks and let's hear about the shortcuts you make in the kitchen. Now I love home cooking and I made up my mind that I was going to be a goodcook when I grow up, so I got started as soon as I could learn. When I make beefy vegetable soup I LIKE TO DO IT 100% FROM SCRATCH. I will fess up and admit there were times when I was pressed for time and I humbled myself to using frozen vegetables, and even canned mixed vegetables. Instead of the usual superior beef broth I make from beef bones, I have had to turn to using those bouillon cubes that came in handy. V8 came in handy. I have had those frozen dinners at times only to have my blood sugar spike through the roof due to the gluten content, amoungst other unmentionable problems.

--hide--

I LOVE to cook ( and EAT embarassed). laughing laughing I think that even if you do not have the cooking skills of a top chef that there are many shows and websites out there than can teach you. I also run a cooking club event for the diocese of Columbus for that very purpose. If you are in or near Columbus, OH join us every month. We have a top chef do a live cooking class and you get to sample good food and good wine in a nice atmosphere with lots of Catholic women. It would be a privilege to give some of you CM ladies a hug and some good old fashioned hospitality. I am even open to hosting a few overnight guests for that purpose. Let me know. biggrin WOMEN ONLY MIND YOU wink

Now to my shortcuts. I do like the rice and beans mix that zatarain's makes and I just add a bit of coconut milk for an additional kick of flavor. I also use the Lipton's onion soup mix in my minced meat of choice for a shepherd's pie and as a boullion for my pot roast. I also like the McCormick Grill Mates marinades especially the Chipotle Pepper and the Zesty Herb. YUMMY!!!!!

Feb 5th 2013 new

How many skip peeling the potatoes to avoid doing the extra work rather the fact it is more nutritional. I peel mine, but I will admit with the peels left on them there is more flavor. My only beef about the peels being left on is that it could be an indication that the cook didn't even bother to clean the tubers before cutting them up and cooking them irked. I have upon going about my own business have caught sight of some cooks not taking the initiative to wash the vegetables upon prepping them shocked; they took their vegetable staight from the bag, cut them up and dumped them in the pot along with chemical pesticides and dirt, and the vegetables that many of us buy from the supermarket are not organic or that fresh.

Posts 1 - 3 of 3