Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails....... Corinthians 13:4-8

There have been a number of topics lately about things that love is NOT. It is not about older women prowling for young men to entice and control. It is not about older men looking for younger women to increase their chances of fatherhood. These things are an abuse of the gifts of love or sexuality - these kinds of relationships are NOT God's will.

While this passage in the New Testament is beautiful to read, it is EXTREMELY difficult to implement! It is a fair bet that the majority of folks on this site (including me) have failed to understand how to make this the basis of their relationship - and so here we are! When we can finally put aside our freedom-loving egos and realize that we are really two sides of the same coin, then we will see the selfishness that destroys the love we try so desperately to have. When we live our relationships remembering Corinthians 13:13 we understand what God's will in love really is.

--hide--

Good thoughts.. I especially like the part that says Love is not self serving (does not seek its own interests) Rather I see love as self-giving .. and self sacrificing.. That is what Jesus did for us... The greatest love.

Another nice thought I like to think of is that Love is not Love until it is given away ... So let's spread the joy of God's love...

Nice post and appropriate for today's readings.. biggrin

God Bless us ...
Kathleen Praying

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Reflect is certainly the word here Kristen. After seeing some of the viewpoints expressed this w...

Reflect is certainly the word here Kristen. After seeing some of the viewpoints expressed this week in various forums that focused so much on age, and the lively discourse that followed (and I had as much fun as the next person throwing my two-cents in) hearing todays reading made me realize how far our thinking can drift when we focus on our own opinions instead of the TRUTH as told in today's second reading.

--hide--

Focusing on our own opinions is all we've got here in the absence of developing real relationships. boggled More contacting and less disagreement in the Forums is what's needed.

Feb 3rd 2013 new
Aquinas put it most elegantly: "to love is to will the good of another."
Feb 3rd 2013 new

Thnaks Joseph! Love is what we do...WWJD.... Praying Clover

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-294940 said: The priest said in his homily today that you could subsitute the word "God" for the w...
(Quote) Heather-294940 said:

The priest said in his homily today that you could subsitute the word "God" for the word "Love". Once we know, truly know, who and what God is we then know what Love is. I found that to be incredibly beautiful.

--hide--

And that's exactly what that passage is describing. God! And God is Love. Hence, what Love is.

Its actually quite overwhelming to imagine, to understand in human terms that God is Love, as opposed to God being loving.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is...

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails....... Corinthians 13:4-8

There have been a number of topics lately about things that love is NOT. It is not about older women prowling for young men to entice and control. It is not about older men looking for younger women to increase their chances of fatherhood. These things are an abuse of the gifts of love or sexuality - these kinds of relationships are NOT God's will.

While this passage in the New Testament is beautiful to read, it is EXTREMELY difficult to implement! It is a fair bet that the majority of folks on this site (including me) have failed to understand how to make this the basis of their relationship - and so here we are! When we can finally put aside our freedom-loving egos and realize that we are really two sides of the same coin, then we will see the selfishness that destroys the love we try so desperately to have. When we live our relationships remembering Corinthians 13:13 we understand what God's will in love really is.

--hide--

I think the first step to loving somebody the way you should is to love and trust in God first. Trust that God knows what's best for you and others as opposed to you and society. I have to admit that's sometimes been a hard pill to swallow because I want to be "normal," whatever that is.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-294940 said: The priest said in his homily today that you could subsitute the word "God" for the w...
(Quote) Heather-294940 said:

The priest said in his homily today that you could subsitute the word "God" for the word "Love". Once we know, truly know, who and what God is we then know what Love is. I found that to be incredibly beautiful.

--hide--
I agree Heather. To further illustrate that idea, I'll tell about an interesting book I read recently. Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander M.D. A Neurosurgeon who fell into coma for a week, he relates an extensive near-death experience. He states that if he could descibe the Almighty in a word, it would be Love, perfect and unconditional!

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: Focusing on our own opinions is all we've got here in the absence of developing r...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

Focusing on our own opinions is all we've got here in the absence of developing real relationships. More contacting and less disagreement in the Forums is what's needed.

--hide--
C'mon Donna, what fun would that be?! Yes, you are absolutely right about that. scratchchin

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: And that's exactly what that passage is describing. God! And God is Love. Hence, wha...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

And that's exactly what that passage is describing. God! And God is Love. Hence, what Love is.

Its actually quite overwhelming to imagine, to understand in human terms that God is Love, as opposed to God being loving.

--hide--
Yes, Naomi, I concur that the reading is describing God, and God is Love, along with Faith and Hope. I do realize that the meaning here is deeper than about how best to approach our relationships, but I've always thought of this reading as the "Marriage Manual" reading. I thought it appropriate in light of some of the - in my opinion - misguided posts that I had been reading lately about things that I believe love is not.

Check my reply to Heather's post about a book that I read about near-death experience. biggrin

Feb 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it ...

--hide--

In our Priest homily yesterday he talked about in place of love use the name Jesus. He also said once as a penance to a Nun he instructed her to insert her own name and repeat that every day. She came back a week later and told him that was the most difficult penance she had ever been given. This is the same Priest who always tells us to do an Act of Kindness for someone as part of our penance. When I first started going to reconciliation with him I always worried if I was doing enough. Now I find myself going that extra mile regularly and I find it helps keep my mind focused on prayer and being the person God has called me to be.
Posts 11 - 20 of 37