Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Feb 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: In our Priest homily yesterday he talked about in place of love use the name Jesus. He also said once as a...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

In our Priest homily yesterday he talked about in place of love use the name Jesus. He also said once as a penance to a Nun he instructed her to insert her own name and repeat that every day. She came back a week later and told him that was the most difficult penance she had ever been given. This is the same Priest who always tells us to do an Act of Kindness for someone as part of our penance. When I first started going to reconciliation with him I always worried if I was doing enough. Now I find myself going that extra mile regularly and I find it helps keep my mind focused on prayer and being the person God has called me to be.
--hide--

Oh and Father never gave that penance to anyone else after the Nun shared her experience with him.....
Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: In our Priest homily yesterday he talked about in place of love use the name Jesus. He also said...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

In our Priest homily yesterday he talked about in place of love use the name Jesus. He also said once as a penance to a Nun he instructed her to insert her own name and repeat that every day. She came back a week later and told him that was the most difficult penance she had ever been given. This is the same Priest who always tells us to do an Act of Kindness for someone as part of our penance. When I first started going to reconciliation with him I always worried if I was doing enough. Now I find myself going that extra mile regularly and I find it helps keep my mind focused on prayer and being the person God has called me to be.
--hide--
As I mentioned in my OP this reading is difficult to implement in our lives, as beautiful as it sounds. When we place jesus' name in its place it might even seem impossible. That the bar is too high. But when we keep our "mind focused on prayer and being the person God has called me to be" I'm sure that we can find some ways to attain, and even go the extra mile. Thanks for sharing this Brenda!

Feb 4th 2013 new

we have to be very careful when we try to discern god's will in situations which involve not only ourselves but others as well.

all too often those who claim that some decision they've made about a relationship is "god's will" are usually superimposing their will onto it and calling it god's will so no one can callthem on it w/o looking like the devil. it's a lousy gambit and a very common one. it's selfish, manipulative, and anything but holy.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: As I mentioned in my OP this reading is difficult to implement in our lives, as beautiful as it ...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

As I mentioned in my OP this reading is difficult to implement in our lives, as beautiful as it sounds. When we place jesus' name in its place it might even seem impossible. That the bar is too high. But when we keep our "mind focused on prayer and being the person God has called me to be" I'm sure that we can find some ways to attain, and even go the extra mile. Thanks for sharing this Brenda!

--hide--

perfection is in the next world. but significant steady progress is possible in this life if we put god first. god is our loving father. like the father of preschoolers, he sees our efforts and delights n our earnest attempts to do what right. even in our falls he loves and helps us. he uses them to teach us to depend yet more on him and him alone and never on oursleves.

those who stress the rules over love of god and others lack faith and trust. they thumb the rulebook because they see it as the only way they can make it into heaven. but if we focus on the love of god then all the rules snap right into focus and following them becomes a labor of love. if we fear and mistrust god, we focus on the rules because we think by following them scrupulously he will have no choice but to let us into heaven. just love. then the rules make sense and are a joy to follow.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is...

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails....... Corinthians 13:4-8

--hide--

Beautiful reflection, Joseph smile

In his homily yesterday, our priest said to not profess the words "I LOVE YOU" to someone unless we ready (and able) to love in this Corinthian manner. theheart

Blessings,
Christina

Feb 4th 2013 new
Thanks for posting this . These are true words of wisdom as I read it .:-)
Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: we have to be very careful when we try to discern god's will in situations which involve not ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

we have to be very careful when we try to discern god's will in situations which involve not only ourselves but others as well.

all too often those who claim that some decision they've made about a relationship is "god's will" are usually superimposing their will onto it and calling it god's will so no one can callthem on it w/o looking like the devil. it's a lousy gambit and a very common one. it's selfish, manipulative, and anything but holy.

--hide--
I agree with you on this David. When it comes to the material world, I've never been comfortable with people claiming God's will regarding the events in our lives. Things happen for a reason, but chalking it up to God's will IS a lousy gambit and in fact removes the person from responsibility for their own thoughts and actions.

To be clear, God's will in love is what is written in Corinthians 13:4-8, (and in other inspired writings in the Bible.) When contemplated as a guide as to how we should approach our relationships with others, and especially significant others, we see that selfishness is the enemy. When we let go of our egos and realize that love is about another person and a shared experience, then we better understand this gift. Where it goes from there is up to us.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: I agree with you on this David. When it comes to the material world, I've never been comfort...

I agree with you on this David. When it comes to the material world, I've never been comfortable with people claiming God's will regarding the events in our lives. Things happen for a reason, but chalking it up to God's will IS a lousy gambit and in fact removes the person from responsibility for their own thoughts and actions.

To be clear, God's will in love is what is written in Corinthians 13:4-8, (and in other inspired writings in the Bible.) When contemplated as a guide as to how we should approach our relationships with others, and especially significant others, we see that selfishness is the enemy. When we let go of our egos and realize that love is about another person and a shared experience, then we better understand this gift. Where it goes from there is up to us.

--hide--

This is a great thing you just said. Hit the nail on the head in this comment and throughout this helpful thread. Thanks.

Feb 4th 2013 new

Really Nice

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: As I mentioned in my OP this reading is difficult to implement in our lives, as beautiful as it ...

--hide--

This is one of my favorite passages. I love it and have often reflected on it. I think it is difficult to implement in some regards because we place so many expectations (many unconscious) on love, especially romantic love. But, if we approach it in a broader sense I think we can make some inroads into being able to practice it in our ulimate love relationships. Mother Teresa I think is an excellent example of love in action. To truly love in both heart and body I think requires an emptying of ourselves so that we can be filled with God, His spirit. . .love.

Posts 21 - 30 of 37