Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Who knows what 'Euchre' is?

Feb 3rd 2013 new

Who knows how to play Euchre? Is this just an Indiana past-time?

Feb 3rd 2013 new

I know what Euchre is, I first learned to play it when I was a freshman in high school when my family lived in Kentucky for three years back in the late 90s. However it is played up here in Wisconsin, my sister learned to play at while visiting her fiance and his family and she loves it and insists that we play it anytime we have a group of four.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

After polling many people over the years, I have come to the conclusion that euchre is a home-grown sounthern Indiana phenomenon that has been 'transplanted' by a few former Hoosiers to the lucky card players of their new home. Oh, man, I'm up for a game right now...I can just feel those right and left bowers in my hand leading up to a perfect loner!!!

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: After polling many people over the years, I have come to the conclusion that euchre is a home-gro...
(Quote) Tracy-929496 said:

After polling many people over the years, I have come to the conclusion that euchre is a home-grown sounthern Indiana phenomenon that has been 'transplanted' by a few former Hoosiers to the lucky card players of their new home. Oh, man, I'm up for a game right now...I can just feel those right and left bowers in my hand leading up to a perfect loner!!!

--hide--
Hi Tracy, I've played euchre since I was a child. I have found over the years that it is a northern thang. I also have many friends in Canada who play. Euchre is my all time favorite card game.

By the way....I have a loner in hearts. wink heart heart laughing laughing

Feb 3rd 2013 new

I played Euchre with friends years ago. But, in my family, Pinochle was the thing. My dad can still tell stories about my great grandfather chewing him out due to his poor play. It's a wonder they ever let Dad marry into the family!!

Feb 3rd 2013 new

OK, Linda...I stand corrected!!!

Feb 3rd 2013 new

[quote]John-132457 said:

I played Euchre with friends years ago. But, in my family, Pinochle was the thing. My dad can still tell stories about my great grandfather chewing him out due to his poor play. It's a wonder they ever let Dad marry into the family!!

[/quote

John, oh, ya, I grew up playing pinochle, too. But, no one in Indiana knows how to play (that I'M aware of!), so I haven't played since my younger days in Detroit.

My Polish grandma took her games of cards so seriously, she was known to throw the whole card table over if she lost. Thankfully, I take after my calmer, more fun-loving Irish mother (sorry, Grandma...still loved you!) We played Spite and Malice - that game took FOUR decks of cards, and Hearts and Spades and others I can't recall. Those were the days...

Around here a game called Bunco is popular, but I never learned that one.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: (Quote) John-132457 said: I played Euchre with friends years ago. But, in ...
(Quote) Tracy-929496 said:

[quote]John-132457 said:

[/quote

John, oh, ya, I grew up playing pinochle, too. But, no one in Indiana knows how to play (that I'M aware of!), so I haven't played since my younger days in Detroit.

My Polish grandma took her games of cards so seriously, she was known to throw the whole card table over if she lost. Thankfully, I take after my calmer, more fun-loving Irish mother (sorry, Grandma...still loved you!) We played Spite and Malice - that game took FOUR decks of cards, and Hearts and Spades and others I can't recall. Those were the days...

Around here a game called Bunco is popular, but I never learned that one.

--hide--
Tracy, your game of Spite and Malice sounds like a game we played called, Hand and Foot. Wonder if it's the same thing?? scratchchin

Feb 3rd 2013 new

I'm not even sure about Spite and Malice any more, let alone Hand and Foot!

Guess I'll have to ask my dad the next time he's up from Florida...

Feb 4th 2013 new

I don't think it's a regional thing, so much as a game that's no longer trendy. Just as Mah Jhonng was popular in the 1920s, and bridge in the '30s-50s and bunco in the 2000's.
I have known several young folks who play, but it is rare...

Posts 1 - 10 of 41