Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

EWTN/Comcast

Feb 4th 2013 new

Hmmm...so most people might know analog was recently changed to digital...or at least across most of the nation I believe.

As some people may know from my profile and forums, I found the Catholic faith by accidentally tuning in to EWTN, which I used to be able to get without any kind of cable. It was one of only three channels that came in during some technical difficulties. I used to get it also through Comcast basic cable. Now, with digital, Comcast requires a box and every station must come through the 'box'. Now I all the sudden do not get EWTN.

Anyone else have this problem?

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Hmmm...so most people might know analog was recently changed to digital...or at least across most...
(Quote) Laura-695247 said:

Hmmm...so most people might know analog was recently changed to digital...or at least across most of the nation I believe.

As some people may know from my profile and forums, I found the Catholic faith by accidentally tuning in to EWTN, which I used to be able to get without any kind of cable. It was one of only three channels that came in during some technical difficulties. I used to get it also through Comcast basic cable. Now, with digital, Comcast requires a box and every station must come through the 'box'. Now I all the sudden do not get EWTN.

--hide--

I'm surprised it took this long..

If you're not aware, EWTN streams their radio and audio feeds via their web site. Go to EWTN.com and click on the Television or Radio links at the top of the page. You can receive any of their feeds, which is handy if you'd like to listen in a foreign language or catch a broadcast at a time that is more convenient than your local feed.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I'm surprised it took this long.. If you're not aware, EWTN streams their ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

If you're not aware, EWTN streams their radio and audio feeds via their web site. Go to EWTN.com and click on the Television or Radio links at the top of the page. You can receive any of their feeds, which is handy if you'd like to listen in a foreign language or catch a broadcast at a time that is more convenient than your local feed.

--hide--
Better to listen to AudioSancto.org

Ewtn just isn't the same since Mother Angelica lost the reigns IMO.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I'm surprised it took this long.. If you're not aware, EWTN streams their ...

--hide--

Thanks Jerry, I was aware that EWTN has all these options, but I work for the government and am blocked from any access to this sort during the day. At home I only have a very small netbook computer...just not the same as watching a TV. I have found some shows on youtube....but I don't usually watch anything lengthy on my netbook. I just got a 'smart phone' yesterday...so hopefully I can watch some shows in a more comfortable setting than my netbook. I still need to figure it out. It's just such a bummer that something that used to be free and accessible isn't anymore...but about 100 channels in chinese, spanish and any other language and a bunch of low budget local channels are still there...bummer.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Thanks Jerry, I was aware that EWTN has all these options, but I work for the government and ...

Thanks Jerry, I was aware that EWTN has all these options, but I work for the government and am blocked from any access to this sort during the day. At home I only have a very small netbook computer...just not the same as watching a TV. I have found some shows on youtube....but I don't usually watch anything lengthy on my netbook. I just got a 'smart phone' yesterday...so hopefully I can watch some shows in a more comfortable setting than my netbook. I still need to figure it out. It's just such a bummer that something that used to be free and accessible isn't anymore...but about 100 channels in chinese, spanish and any other language and a bunch of low budget local channels are still there...bummer.

--hide--

Does the netbook have a video connector? If so, you may be able to connect it to your TV and use the TV as a second monitor

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Does the netbook have a video connector? If so, you may be able to connect it to your TV ...

Does the netbook have a video connector? If so, you may be able to connect it to your TV and use the TV as a second monitor

--hide--

Thanks Jerry...ummm...that is probably a pretty basic question...but I am not too tech savy...so I don't know what connections it has. I did get Journey Home up on my new Nexus 4 and am watching it right now. It is only coming in 1inx1in...I have to figure out how to get the window open to the whole screen...but the sound is actually fantastic.

Thanks for you help!

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-695247 said: Hmmm...so most people might know analog was recently changed to digital...or at least across most...

--hide--

You can switch to satellite.I know for a fact that DISH still carries EWTN and I believe that Direct TV does to.

And as Jerry pointed out, you can watch live on the WEB.

Feb 5th 2013 new

I receive a very good EWTN signal from my Dish Network satelite dish, channel #261.

This list shows an EWTN radio station in San Francisco >>> KSFB 1260 AM . You may be able to receive it in Oakland:

>>> www.ewtn.com

This is the web site for the SF radio station >>>> ihradio.com

Ed

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I receive a very good EWTN signal from my Dish Network satelite dish, channel #261. <...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

I receive a very good EWTN signal from my Dish Network satelite dish, channel #261.

This list shows an EWTN radio station in San Francisco >>> KSFB 1260 AM . You may be able to receive it in Oakland:

>>> www.ewtn.com

Ed
Thanks Ed! I actually just drove through Auburn Sunday! Snowcamping next to Castle Peak!

I am actually going to try just using my new phone to watch the shows I am missing. Just wish the battery lasted longer. I don't really want to invest more money into TVs since I don't actually watch that much of it. I just keep basic cable in case of emergency stuff and because I have a downstairs tenant. Thanks though!

--hide--

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: I receive a very good EWTN signal from my Dish Network satelite dish, channel #261. <...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

>>> www.ewtn.com

Ed

--hide--

I agree that the EWTN signal on DISH is excellent. The only negative I have noticed is that the audio is muted compared to most stations. That is, I always have to adjust my volume louder to hear EWTN to hear it as opposing to leaving the audio level at the same point of say the USA network.

Oh, yes, EWTN is still not broadcast in HD. Yet the quality of the picture from DISH is not that much different than that from HD stations. It only becomes really noticeable if I am fairly close to the screen. From normal viewing distant the difference is not that much.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11