Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

"Healthier" junk food.

Feb 8th 2013 new

Hey folks,

I don't know if any of you cook but I wanted to let you know - the "slimmed down" buffalo wing salad I found in the local paper was great tonight, and really easy to make. Basically not even a recipe, to be honest. I adore hot wings and love that this means I can have my pollos en fuego again.

Cookie sheet or pizza pan, a rack, your favorite thin hot sauce (I used the Tabasco Buffalo Chipotle), a little olive oil; oven at 425 F, just chop up some boneless skinless chicken, soak it in the hot sauce with the olive oil, and lay it on the rack in the sheet pan.

Make a salad with nice dark green lettuce like romaine or even mix in some spinach, throw in a little low-fat cheese.

Greek yoghurt and low-fat mayonnaise mixed with lemon juice, parsley, green onion, and some black pepper (low sodium here) for dressing.

Anybody else have lightened-up versions of your favourite junk foods?

Feb 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Katherine-868943 said: Hey folks,I don't know if any of you cook but I wanted to let you know - the &quo...
(Quote) Katherine-868943 said:

Hey folks,

I don't know if any of you cook but I wanted to let you know - the "slimmed down" buffalo wing salad I found in the local paper was great tonight, and really easy to make. Basically not even a recipe, to be honest. I adore hot wings and love that this means I can have my pollos en fuego again.

Cookie sheet or pizza pan, a rack, your favorite thin hot sauce (I used the Tabasco Buffalo Chipotle), a little olive oil; oven at 425 F, just chop up some boneless skinless chicken, soak it in the hot sauce with the olive oil, and lay it on the rack in the sheet pan.

Make a salad with nice dark green lettuce like romaine or even mix in some spinach, throw in a little low-fat cheese.

Greek yoghurt and low-fat mayonnaise mixed with lemon juice, parsley, green onion, and some black pepper (low sodium here) for dressing.

--hide--

Katherine, that sounds simply delish. I am going to have to try, especially the dressing! Thanks for sharing.

Feb 9th 2013 new

I'm not vegetarian, but I don't particularly enjoy the taste of meat the last year or so, so I've been using tofu instead of chicken and pork in most of my dishes :) It's a wee bit healthier, and I like it just as much- which is great because my junk food is Indian- I love it! Spinach and chickpeas, too- they make for great shake n bake patties or burgers.

I also love spaghetti (Im having some now) And I have yet to try it, but I hear you can make "noodles" out of zucchini :s I want to try and see how it tastes :9 But more important, how it feels: I'm all about texture- I actually prefer the gummy texture of black bean brownies to normal ones :P

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Katherine-868943 said: Hey folks,I don't know if any of you cook but I wanted to let you know - the &quo...

Hey folks,

--hide--
kat, is this chicken already cooked? or how long do you cook? my son and i have aways wanted a good wing recipe. thanks wave

Feb 10th 2013 new

I cut it when it was about half frozen and put it in the ziplock bag until it went in the oven at 5:00, it was ready right at 5:30. Smelled great baking, too.

Spaghetti squash when you can get them are great, you can actually microwave them. I'm all for the microwave!

Feb 11th 2013 new

Mary, I'm guessing you live near Saint Mary's? My brother went to school down there. I know it's a bit of a drive but have you been to MOM's Organic Market? I think the one closest to you is in Waldorf. They have a TON of vegetarian dishes and vegan dishes. I have a dairy allergy so I'm always shopping there. Try Uncle Eddy's chocolate chip and walnut cookies. They are delicious.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Katherine-868943 said:Cookie sheet or pizza pan, a rack, your favorite thin hot sauce (I used the Tabasco Buffalo C...

--hide--

Thanks for the good receipe. I like Buffalo chicken Salad too,, I'll have to give this a try but cooking the wings on the grill instead..hmm scratchchin biggrin

Feb 25th 2013 new

Oh man, I think I am going to buy stock in greek yoghurt companies. Is there nothing you can't use it for? This has been my go-to food for lent because I still need protein but I get burned out on fish pretty quickly (female, mercury scares, cost, etceterara) and in East Texas the idea of fish is fried catfish.

By the way, Health magazine has an awesome muffin recipe in the back this issue, a whole wheat and vegetable muffin.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8