Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

Feb 12th 2013 new

14 full marathons, and bunches of halfs,10- and 5-Ks. Great stuff. Started in HS cross-country...good stuff.

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Linda-756196 said: I do tris and I have done the Boston Marathon. I am doing it in April. :) I...
(Quote) Linda-756196 said:

I do tris and I have done the Boston Marathon. I am doing it in April. :) I am doing a marathon in all fifty states and ending with Dover, DE on 19 October of this year. I have a huge challenge and a ton of media is coming with this one --if you are interested in doing another half. If so, message me. I have not done my marathon in NJ--not that many of them. Laugh. I am scheduling it now. I have the Greenbelt Marathon next weekend.

Okay, cross training is really important if you are hurting. Consider having your running evaluated at a running store to make sure you have the right shoes and that your shoes are in the right shape. Start taking glucosimine and vitamin D. Consider orthodics. If it is really bothering you, then run three days a week and cross train the other two. Be careful because you don't want to not be able to exercise. :)

--hide--
Say whaaaaaaaat? eyepopping

You are going to run fifty full length maratons in about eight months, at the age of 51. I am in TOTAL awe. Bow

Feb 23rd 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-933860 said: Say whaaaaaaaat? You are going to run fifty full length maratons in about eight months, at...
(Quote) Peter-933860 said:

Say whaaaaaaaat?

You are going to run fifty full length maratons in about eight months, at the age of 51. I am in TOTAL awe.

--hide--

I haven't done the Stockholm Marathon, but I am going to at some point! :)

Feb 23rd 2013 new
I am exhausted just reading these posts!!! but it is my goal this year to get in shape and update my profile biggrin I am in awe too Linda!!
Feb 24th 2013 new

No marathons for me anymore, pavement is too hard on the joints. I don't know how someone can keep pounding away on the pavement without serious injuries. I do love trailrunning though and fast paced hiking. Besides, those organized marathons get expensive. If I am not doing it for a worthy cause (local 5K and 10K fundraisers) I won't do them. Too much money going to the wrong cause. Good luck to you on your 50 states marathons!!

Feb 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: No marathons for me anymore, pavement is too hard on the joints. I don't know how someone can ...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

No marathons for me anymore, pavement is too hard on the joints. I don't know how someone can keep pounding away on the pavement without serious injuries. I do love trailrunning though and fast paced hiking. Besides, those organized marathons get expensive. If I am not doing it for a worthy cause (local 5K and 10K fundraisers) I won't do them. Too much money going to the wrong cause. Good luck to you on your 50 states marathons!!

--hide--

I run for TAPS and the USO--two causes near and dear to my heart. And, before you ask, yes, I believe enough that I am actively involved with media to promote this even though it means telling my story and I donate 50% of my book to both of those places. I have run for 36 years and God is good to me to allow me even still to run. It is such a gift.

Mar 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: No marathons for me anymore, pavement is too hard on the joints. I don't know how someone can ...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

No marathons for me anymore, pavement is too hard on the joints. I don't know how someone can keep pounding away on the pavement without serious injuries. I do love trailrunning though and fast paced hiking.

--hide--

I have the opposite problem, Joan. I can't run on trails -- I have to run on even pavement. My ankles are susceptible to sprains (my dad had the same problem, as does my niece), and roots and rocks are sprains just waiting to happen. I just severely sprained my right ankle a few months ago by just stepping off the edge of my driveway wrong. eyepopping

I haven't run a 5k in a while but want to get back to it this year. My eventual goal is to someday run a half marathon. The farthest I've pushed it so far was a 10k (I've jogged 9 miles on my own, but that's as far as I've made it).

Good luck to all runners and marathoners!

Mar 16th 2013 new

Linda,

That is awesome! Good luck on your 50 states!

I've run 4 marathons (3 Cincinnati Flying Pigs and 1 at Disneyworld). I'm considering another destination marathon and wondering where I should go.

Mar 26th 2013 new

Wahoo! I ran my first marathon last fall... and I'm signed up for two this year!... I'm really more of a bike racer, but got bit hard by the running bug in 2012.

Do any of you ever pray while you run? I do sometimes, and there's a nice, meditative-vibe about it.

I'm going to try to both run and get the miles in on the bike this season. We'll see!

Jes

Mar 26th 2013 new

(Quote) Jes-951157 said: Wahoo! I ran my first marathon last fall... and I'm signed up for two this year!... I'm rea...
(Quote) Jes-951157 said:

Wahoo! I ran my first marathon last fall... and I'm signed up for two this year!... I'm really more of a bike racer, but got bit hard by the running bug in 2012.

Do any of you ever pray while you run? I do sometimes, and there's a nice, meditative-vibe about it.

I'm going to try to both run and get the miles in on the bike this season. We'll see!

Jes

--hide--

Congratulations Jes on your first marathon. I am hoping to do my first half next month. YES I like to medidate on the Rosary. It is harder to say when running versus walking. What prayers do you say or do you have a verse that you keep going through your head ... perhaps " Thank you Lord for the gift of Life " Thank you Lord for ...... " I do that as well.

If you can swim I would suggest trying a Triathlon. They are fun !

Pray without ceasing ...

God Speed to all of us... And praise HIM for the gifts HE gives us...

We are truly blessed.
Kathleen

PS My shin is hurting me but I hope I will be ok for next month.. The pavement is hard on my joints too that's why I like swimming but I count laps and it is harder to pray when I swim.

Posts 11 - 20 of 22