Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Are we going too far?

Feb 10th 2013 new

I read a flyer that someone left on one of the break tables at work that I found to be cruel in nature. It was one of those petitions that urges folks to vote against anyone from being a boyscout or scout leader. I am not an advocate for the gays by no means, but I feel that that is an extreme case of homophobia when we go as far as to deny children from participating in activities that can actually benefit them and help them from becoming better citizens. I can understand not wanting adults who are gay from being a scout leader, but children not being allowed to join the Boyscouts of America just because they are different. I understand respectfully that there are parents who have concerns about their children being exposed to homosexuality, but in going to this extreme we are in fact denying these children the opportunity to learn useful skills and we are turning our backs on them in their needs.

Like I said in the previous paragraph I am not an advocate for the gays by no means, but I am prolife and you can tell by reading my profile that I answered yes to the Churches teachings about the sanctity of life and that covers a much broader spectrum than all matters dealing with medicine. Jesus loved all the children and I just can't help but feel that we are turning our backs on the opportunity to bring Christ into these children's lives, by going this far.

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: I read a flyer that someone left on one of the break tables at work that I found to be cruel ...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

I read a flyer that someone left on one of the break tables at work that I found to be cruel in nature. It was one of those petitions that urges folks to vote against anyone from being a boyscout or scout leader. I am not an advocate for the gays by no means, but I feel that that is an extreme case of homophobia when we go as far as to deny children from participating in activities that can actually benefit them and help them from becoming better citizens. I can understand not wanting adults who are gay from being a scout leader, but children not being allowed to join the Boyscouts of America just because they are different. I understand respectfully that there are parents who have concerns about their children being exposed to homosexuality, but in going to this extreme we are in fact denying these children the opportunity to learn useful skills and we are turning our backs on them in their needs.

Like I said in the previous paragraph I am not an advocate for the gays by no means, but I am prolife and you can tell by reading my profile that I answered yes to the Churches teachings about the sanctity of life and that covers a much broader spectrum than all matters dealing with medicine. Jesus loved all the children and I just can't help but feel that we are turning our backs on the opportunity to bring Christ into these children's lives, by going this far.

--hide--
Elizabeth, it's a little hard to comment with out seeing the petition. Seems it's goal is to get rid of Scouting altogether, is that your take on it?

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Elizabeth, it's a little hard to comment with out seeing the petition. Seems it's goal is...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Elizabeth, it's a little hard to comment with out seeing the petition. Seems it's goal is to get rid of Scouting altogether, is that your take on it?

--hide--

It was spelled out clearly that the intent was to ban anyone who is gay from being allowed to become a boyscout or a troop leader. The latter I am not concerned about but I just think that we could be going too too far when it comes to banning little boys who are supposedly gay from being boy scouts. As far as doing away with Scouting ALTOGETHER, well it could happen because of this negative politics. Somebody wrote in bold black marker VOTE YES FOR SUGAR BRITCHES on it.

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said: It was spelled out clearly that the intent was to ban anyone who is gay from being a...
(Quote) Elizabeth-114955 said:

It was spelled out clearly that the intent was to ban anyone who is gay from being allowed to become a boyscout or a troop leader. The latter I am not concerned about but I just think that we could be going too too far when it comes to banning little boys who are supposedly gay from being boy scouts. As far as doing away with Scouting ALTOGETHER, well it could happen because of this negative politics. Somebody wrote in bold black marker VOTE YES FOR SUGAR BRITCHES on it.

--hide--
I think an acceptable compromise would be a form of "don't ask, don't tell" for Scouts who wish to join, but absolutely not for Scout leaders- that must remain the same. Imagine telling the parents of an eight year old boy he cannot join the Cub Scouts, because he appeared effeminate.

Posts 1 - 4 of 4