Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of prayer life, posting prayers of the Church and prayer requests.

Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations.
Learn more: Saint Jude

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: So here we are on the Second Sunday of Lent. I hope everyone is able to make their daily commit...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

So here we are on the Second Sunday of Lent. I hope everyone is able to make their daily commitment, whether it be going to Daily Mass or watching Daily Mass on EWTN, or reading the Daily Readings! It is so important that we spend this Lent with Christ and grow in His Grace - especially with the changes that will be taking place in our Church with Pope Benedict resigning, the Cardinals meeting in Conclave to choose a new Pope, and many other issues going on with the Church and with our country. Let us be an example of what a devout Christian/Catholic is - for ourselves, for our relatives, for our neighbors, for our coworkers, and for those especially who may come closer to Christ through our example and prayer!

--hide--

Patricia, thank you for the support and encouragement! I have received numerous blessings so far!!! Such comfort, such grace from receiving our precious Savior frequently and reading His word theheart

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I happened to go to the 7AM Mass today, because one of thepriests who I really trust for conser...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I happened to go to the 7AM Mass today, because one of thepriests who I really trust for conservative spiritual advice and guidance was saying it.

He suggested that the absolutely best thing we could do during Lent is to attend daily Mass starting Ash Wednesday and going through Easter. (He did say if you just could not do that, to at least try to go to Mass a couple times a week, and if you couldn't do that, to read the daily Mass readings which are available in booklets or in many sites on the internet - try your archdiocesan website.)

Anyhow, I thought about it, and although it might cause me some inconvenience and there may be days that I just don't want to walk there (it's a 20 minute - 1 mile walk for me each way unless I get on a bus which shortens it by 5 blocks) if the weather is frigid, sleeting, snowing,high winds, etc. along the Chicago lakefront, I do believe that this is something I can do and something that I want to do.

So, I guess I'm looking for some support - in the form of any CM members who would want to make that same committment to go to daily Mass for the 40 days of Lent (although technically it would be 39 I think because there is no Mass on Holy Saturday until the evening Easter Mass which one could go to or instead go to the Easter Mass on Easter day). It is easier I think to do something when there are other people also doing it - a shared sense of spiritual community and support.

So, I'm hoping there will be lots of takers, but I'd be overjoyed if even one other person on CM would also want to do this for Christ!

--hide--

So I guess I am relying on the "Laborers of the vineyard" parable since I am late to the party but now signing up for mass on Fridays and daily readings the rest of the days.

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Al-939544 said: So I guess I am relying on the "Laborers of the vineyard" parable since I am late...
(Quote) Al-939544 said:

So I guess I am relying on the "Laborers of the vineyard" parable since I am late to the party but now signing up for mass on Fridays and daily readings the rest of the days.

--hide--

Welcome to the "party", Al,wave and thank you so much for joining us in daily Readings and Friday Mass!theheart Praying

Mar 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-56149 said: Patricia, thank you for the support and encouragement! I have received numerous blessi...
(Quote) Laura-56149 said:

Patricia, thank you for the support and encouragement! I have received numerous blessings so far!!! Such comfort, such grace from receiving our precious Savior frequently and reading His word

--hide--

You're very welcome, Laura,wave but I am getting far more out of going to daily Mass than the small effort I have put into this thread! In fact, I think I am going to keep going to daily Mass even after Lent ends! theheart And, I'm so glad CMer's are still joining us!hug

Mar 2nd 2013 new

Mari from Panama has also joined us in going to Daily Mass.wave Praise God!theheart She used to be on CM, and she and I have stayed in touch through private email. She sent me a message yesterday saying that this thread (and all of you) have inspired her to go to Daily Mass. This makes me wonder if we have perhaps inspired others on CM or who aren't even CM members to go to daily Mass or do the Daily Readings. I pray that we have!Praying

Everyone who reads this thread is most welcome to join us in going to Daily Mass and/or doing the Daily Readings during Lent!hug

Mar 2nd 2013 new

It's my goal to get back to daily mass starting next week. I was doing this over the summer (because there was a 18h30 mass which was better for me than the early am masses) and it was a great experience. Then schedule changes made it impossible to keep up with it. I'm hoping I can start this again.

Mar 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Claudine-882177 said: It's my goal to get back to daily mass starting next week. I was doing this over the summe...
(Quote) Claudine-882177 said:

It's my goal to get back to daily mass starting next week. I was doing this over the summer (because there was a 18h30 mass which was better for me than the early am masses) and it was a great experience. Then schedule changes made it impossible to keep up with it. I'm hoping I can start this again.

--hide--

Hi Claudine, wave, and thank you for joining us in going to Daily Mass. We all do the best we can and support each other in going to
Daily Mass or if not able to do that, doing the daily Readings during Lent! theheart

Mar 3rd 2013 new

On my way to 8:15 Mass this morning, while I was walking across a street in which the white WALK sign was on (with no traffic at the small intersection as I was crossing a side street - not a major traffic thoroughfare), when I was halfway across the street a large white car (perhaps a taxi or delivery vehicle as there was some writing on the side of it) ran a red light travelling at what I think would be about 30-40 miles an hour, turned the 90 degree corner directly into my path (actually careened would be a better word to describe the turn) and accelerated. I sensed something (but did not hear anything as the driver did not honk his horn and came up very fast speeding through the red light) and I stopped dead in my tracks.

The car passed within 3 feet directly in front of me. If I had continued walking, I would at best have been knocked down and injured by the driver's side of the car, and at worst been killed by that injury or by having been totally run over by the car. The car continued on while I stood there gaping after it. I couldn't find police (and after talking to them afterward it doesn't matter because even though the person ran a red light and it is on tape, they will not look for it because I wasn't injured). If they police had seen the person run the red light and I had been injured ror killed then they would have ticketed the driver for running a red light and reckless driving. (And, I know this to be true as an elderly neighbor of mine in the building I used to live in was hit and killed by a taxi driver turning onto a side street without stopping and running her down, and he was only given a ticket with fine, no jail time.) So, I went to Mass and then looked for a police officer afterwards.

I'm not sure what happened just before I stopped walking as I didn't hear anything until after the car was past me (when I heard him accelerating - likely trying to get away from the scene), but I sensed something just before he got near to me and I stopped still in the middle of the road. If I had taken 2 more steps I believe I would have been knocked down, and if I had taken 3 or more steps, I would have been run over by the car (as I was walking at my normal city walking speed which is quite fast). I was easy enough for the driver to see as I had on a black down coat and we had bright sunshine this morning and there were no other cars in sight on either street. I would assume that the driver was either drunk, on drugs, fleeing from police, or just in a really BIG hurry - enough to run a red light! It is unfortunate that the Chicago police are unwilling to look at the tapes to ticket him, as I assume the driver will likely injure or kill someone eventually (unless this incident woke him/her up)This type of incident does seem to happen fairly often - and usually by taxicabs, but has never happened to me. I have never had a close call that was this close! And, now, even 9 hours later I am still a bit shaken up and haven't been able to eat a meal yet today (as I apparently created a lot of adrenalin, and so no appetite (same thing happens to cops/firemem in emergency situations - the adrenalin zooms out into your body and if you eat, you will likely not be able to keep it down (to put it nicely).). So, I've had conversations with the cops, my aunt, and some friends, put music on to decompress, and typing this in will help I think.

I think my stopping walking was caused by some heavenly intervention, as I have never done that before. Usually my instinct is to speed up to get across faster, if I think traffic is coming. I can't explain why I stopped other than that I sensed something (almost as if someone put their hand on my shoulder to stop me although I didn't feel an actualy hand.) That is the best way I can describe this. I think perhaps my Guardian Angel intervened, or perhaps another angel or perhaps a saint or Jesus or the Holy Spirit or God or Mary or . . .

I am profoundly greatful that I am still alive and uninjured (I'll get over the being shaken up - although it might take a day or two.)

Please, fellow Mass-goers, say a prayer of Thanksgiving with me to thank God!theheart Praying rose

I will certainly thank Him tomorrow when I go to either 8AM or 12:10 Mass (and I will look twice or three times before crossing because apparently looking once isn't enough even when there is no traffic and the white WALK light is on.) The only ONE who could have possibly prevented me from injury here was and is GOD. Thank you, beloved Jesus!rose rose rose AMEN.Praying

Mar 3rd 2013 new

I will pray a rosary in thanksgiving to God for saving your Life. Tricia. God has many wonderful plans yet for you!
Mary
rosary

Mar 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-637223 said: I will pray a rosary in thanksgiving to God for saving your Life. Tricia. God has many wonderful p...
(Quote) Mary-637223 said:

I will pray a rosary in thanksgiving to God for saving your Life. Tricia. God has many wonderful plans yet for you!
Mary

--hide--

Thank you, Mary.wave Yes, I think He does have plans for me yet! Praise be to God!Praying

Posts 101 - 110 of 150