Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 11th 2013 new
[quote]Halyna-940494 said:

Going through some stuff here, each one a memory... some gifts given by people. Lots of memories. Got to wondering what other folks' favorite gifts and memories are.

Plastic plates. This was a long time ago when I first went out on my own after grad school. I couldn't afford a thing and my folks sent me a set of plastic dinnerware. I had been eating off of paper plates. I still remember how excited I was to received that gift.

My favorite recent gift has been fuzzy socks! (you have to appreciate I have wood floors)

Halyna

Next!

[/quot Like you, Halyna, I have many favorite gifts but one of the most precious was a poem my mother wrote for me when I was in Ireland visiting my grandpa. I have a memory box in my garage with mementoes from my younger life, notes my little brother wrote to me, a name plate he made from a piece of woodwork using sodder for my name, my first piece of jewelry, my first communion purse with prayer book, my favorite picture of me and my dad that my mom had framed and a pig my son made out of candle wax with paper clips as legs. There are so many special gifts at different times of my life..
Feb 12th 2013 new

For my birthday in 1985, my mom sent me a check for $25. A couple of days earlier I had noticed a newspaper ad for a jewelry and watch shop that was liquidating its stock. A rendering of a beautiful Omega Dynamic wristwatch caught my eye and it was being sold for $24.99 (like several other high quality watches being sold at loss-leader prices). I got to the store early the day of the sale and was the 2nd person in line. I secured the watch I wanted and showed it to my mom the following week, telling her that I bought the watch with the money she had sent me.

I still have that watch, and recently picked it up from my local jeweler after having it rebuilt for the 5th time in 28 years. The story has changed a bit over the last few years and my mom now remembers buying the watch for me! My jeweler tells me that Omega has not manufactured that watch since the late 70's and it's worth $750 (he offered to buy it from me for $500). I told him no, it's my favorite timepiece and the watch my mom gave me for my 24th birthday.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-146319 said: For my birthday in 1985, my mom sent me a check for $25. A couple of days earlier I had noticed a ...
(Quote) John-146319 said:

For my birthday in 1985, my mom sent me a check for $25. A couple of days earlier I had noticed a newspaper ad for a jewelry and watch shop that was liquidating its stock. A rendering of a beautiful Omega Dynamic wristwatch caught my eye and it was being sold for $24.99 (like several other high quality watches being sold at loss-leader prices). I got to the store early the day of the sale and was the 2nd person in line. I secured the watch I wanted and showed it to my mom the following week, telling her that I bought the watch with the money she had sent me.

I still have that watch, and recently picked it up from my local jeweler after having it rebuilt for the 5th time in 28 years. The story has changed a bit over the last few years and my mom now remembers buying the watch for me! My jeweler tells me that Omega has not manufactured that watch since the late 70's and it's worth $750 (he offered to buy it from me for $500). I told him no, it's my favorite timepiece and the watch my mom gave me for my 24th birthday.

--hide--

Great story John. Some things you just can't put a price on.

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Halyna-940494 said: Going through some stuff here, each one a memory... some gifts given by people. Lots of memories...
(Quote) Halyna-940494 said:

Going through some stuff here, each one a memory... some gifts given by people. Lots of memories. Got to wondering what other folks' favorite gifts and memories are.

Plastic plates. This was a long time ago when I first went out on my own after grad school. I couldn't afford a thing and my folks sent me a set of plastic dinnerware. I had been eating off of paper plates. I still remember how excited I was to received that gift.

My favorite recent gift has been fuzzy socks! (you have to appreciate I have wood floors)

Halyna

Next!

--hide--

Sorry but i have at least 2 biggrin ; First is a Dictionary & Thesaurus set (yes remember those?) my Mom gave me over 23 yrs ago when i was i College. I used that quite a bit thank goodness and still have it today. The other thing is a Bread knife my oldest Sister gave me. Yeah i know that sounds dumb and there's a lot of knives that you can use, but I think using an actual Bread knife is kinda cool and nice to use. So that's my 2 fav things! biggrin biggrin

Feb 12th 2013 new

6 -- my 6 children are gifts from God and nothing else comes close or even a distant second (or 7th??)

Feb 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Halyna-940494 said: Going through some stuff here, each one a memory... some gifts given by people. Lots of memories...
(Quote) Halyna-940494 said:

Halyna

Next!

This made me laugh a little. My all time favorite gift was the silly little clip on unicorn my husband bought me before we were married. Since then a small diamond drop he gave me for my birthday, and a mother's day bracelet my daughter gave me and the extensions on the ceiling fan my son in law put on and the hook and eye lock for the office door to keep the cat from opening it all the time lol, also from my son in law.

--hide--

Feb 12th 2013 new

This goes with the blank post before it, lol, evidently, I wrote inside the quote part so it hid the response. . .learn something new everyday.

This made me laugh a little. My all time favorite gift was the silly little clip on unicorn my husband bought me before we were married. Since then a small diamond drop he gave me for my birthday, and a mother's day bracelet my daughter gave me and the extensions on the ceiling fan my son in law put on and the hook and eye lock for the office door to keep the cat from opening it all the time lol, also from my son in law. And, of course without saying my husband and my children, my grandchildren, nieces, nephews, siblings, friends etc. . .

Feb 13th 2013 new

Fun question, Halyna! highfive

As a kid, my favorite gift was a Christmas gift one year from "Santa". My parents had bought me the Atari 2600 video game system I had begged Santa for. Joystick PacMan I think back now to the graphics and game play and chuckle, but at the time it really was top of the line. I don't think I strayed from the games of Space Invaders and Tank Battle for at least a week. eyepopping laughing

As an adult, it would be two things. One is a rosary made of crushed roses that one of my bosses gave me years ago. He wasn't Catholic and thought I'd get better use out of it than he would. He was right. It still to this day smells like roses.

The others would be my grandmother's old KitchenAid mixer and my grandfather's old tools. Whenever I use them, I think of my deceased grandparents and smile...

Feb 13th 2013 new

Among my favorite are God's gift of my children. They bless me every day!

Feb 13th 2013 new

The gift of life from our Heavenly Father ! and the glorious gift of my children ( son & daughter ) and finally my beloved departed parents, and happy, healthy family ! angel hug theheart rosary Praying

Posts 11 - 20 of 21